Share your wisdom?

Options
Hey,

I'm Kellie. 19 years old, 5ft 3, 200lbs. How?!

Long story short, my life hasn't left much room for worries about weight over the last two years. Previously, I was always a curvy girl, in the best kind of way with no undue thought about my diet needed. However, the last two years had involved a lot of necessary and painful moving around and therefore jobs at times, serious finance issues due to this, 60+ hour weeks to try and compensate, just trying to get myself sorted really. I also had hobbies on the side, such as theatre acting and alternative modelling which I eventually had to put to one side to concentrate on work.

With all of that going on, it was difficult to worry about a few pounds, going up a dress size. Making the rent and work always came first and there was never any energy left to care much about anything else.

Luckily, I'm now in a much more stable situation. A privately rented flat for me and my partner of three years, a job I love that allows me to make just enough to pay the bills.

It's now I'm actually having the time/energy/motivation to do something about my weight. It's been a clear problem for a long time now, it's just always been much less important than the latest drama. Fingers crossed, things look stable so now is the time I've been promising myself, to focus and reassess everything about how I eat, exercise and live.

Thank you for reading. What helped you most when you first started? Did you make any mistakes?

Replies

• ClosetBibliophile
    Options
    Has anybody got any weight loss tips?
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. :flowerforyou:
  • ClosetBibliophile
    Options
    I'm glad, you haven't half been helpful, thank you! ^_^
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Do a lot of research. There are great threads here on MFP. This one is my personal favorite http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy.

There are plenty of others if this one is not your cup of tea, but for me, this one seems to be the easiest to read as well as the easiest to follow.
  • cjvvus
    cjvvus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I first started I had to completely focus on myself and my health. I know being at a healthy weight and being active is really good for your health in the long run. So for me I had to be selfish and start cooking to benefit myself and I made a point initially to set aside 30 min 3x a week for exercise. Once I developed healthy eating habits ( they say it takes 21 days to develop a habit) I increased the amount of exercise time. It sounds easy but it wasn't I love chips and cookies. So I would allow myself those items only on sunday. Right now I will lose wt maintain then lose again. I would like to steadily lose but at least I have not gained and have finally made it to onederland. Good luck on your journey, that's how I see it:>
  • ClosetBibliophile
    Options
    Do a lot of research. There are great threads here on MFP. This one is my personal favorite http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy.

There are plenty of others if this one is not your cup of tea, but for me, this one seems to be the easiest to read as well as the easiest to follow.

The link is coming up as not found for me which is a shame, as I'd really like to have a look!
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

The link is coming up as not found for me which is a shame, as I'd really like to have a look!

Just remove the period on the end and it works ...
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi! Don't think of it as a diet. I started eating healthy and exercising. I have had a bit of a setback after being sick for nearly a year. Although, until I got really sick, I continued to eat healthy and exercise. I feel so much better when I do. It does make a difference. I walk several times a week. Even if I walk 30 minutes, it makes a difference. You can even buy Walk at Home DVD's to get started. Feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:

Charlena
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options
    Take it one step at a time! Don't exercise? Make it a point to move more even if it's for 10min a day and work it up from there! Then look at your foods, are your portions too large? Reduce them! Do you eat too fast? Slow down and savour every bite (the slower you eat, the easier it is for your body to recognise it's full! Chewing is also the first step in the digestion process!). Start logging everything you put in your mouth, weigh and measure it all so you know that you are logging accurately. Work on reducing the amount of junk you eat etc. It is a lifestyle change and not a diet this kind of thinking and doing is sustainable for the rest of your life, instead of one of those fad diets that you do and then stop doing. It's going to take time (lots of time) and hard work, but you are worth it!

Add me if you want, I haven't lost much weight so far, as I'm still learning what will work for my body in regards to calorie intake etc, but all of the above are things I've learned in 15 years of 'dieting', I am now learning to put them into practice. The hardest part is starting and changing your mind set, but I am getting there and once I have it all in place I know that I'm going to see changes in my body and my mind. :happy: