Replies

• JacobK254
    JacobK254 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    evil
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm a scientist and I wrote a blog post about it. http://crunchyscientist.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/obesity-carbohydrates-diet-drinks-and-correlation-studies/

But basically: My husband has in the past brought up the idea of diet drinks causing weight gain and although I explained this fallacy to him at the time, he recently brought it up again. He said he “heard that diet drinks cause weight gain because people who drink diet drinks gained more weight over years than those who don’t”. I decided to try to find where he heard this and came up with nada. The interwebs seem to have started and circulated this rumor because there isn’t a Pubmed article I could find with this claim. Some counter arguments were raised on other websites saying that the study called 2lbs “weight gain” and it was a pure correlation study.

Really, what it comes down to is that no one has any idea what possible biological mechanism could cause an artificial sweetener that does not affect insulin levels and has no calories to have anything to do with weight.

Two articles did catch my attention though:

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17992188 for more

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21696306

These articles discuss diet and weight gain, saying

Within each 4-year period, participants gained an average of 3.35 lb (5th to 95th percentile, -4.1 to 12.4). On the basis of increased daily servings of individual dietary components, 4-year weight change was most strongly associated with the intake of potato chips (1.69 lb), potatoes (1.28 lb), sugar-sweetened beverages (1.00 lb), unprocessed red meats (0.95 lb), and processed meats (0.93 lb) and was inversely associated with the intake of vegetables (-0.22 lb), whole grains (-0.37 lb), fruits (-0.49 lb), nuts (-0.57 lb), and yogurt (-0.82 lb) (P≤0.005 for each comparison). Aggregate dietary changes were associated with substantial differences in weight change (3.93 lb across quintiles of dietary change). Other lifestyle factors were also independently associated with weight change (P<0.001), including physical activity (-1.76 lb across quintiles); alcohol use (0.41 lb per drink per day), smoking (new quitters, 5.17 lb; former smokers, 0.14 lb), sleep (more weight gain with <6 or >8 hours of sleep), and television watching (0.31 lb per hour per day).

and

There is no clear evidence that altering the proportion of total carbohydrate in the diet is an important determinant of energy intake. However, there is evidence that sugar-sweetened beverages do not induce satiety to the same extent as solid forms of carbohydrate, and that increases in sugar-sweetened soft drink consumption are associated with weight gain. Findings from studies on the effect of the dietary glycemic index on body weight have not been consistent.

In fact, replacing sugary drinks with diet drinks DOES decrease BMI in children [citation], which also presumably be the case in adults.

What’s the take home message? Don’t jump on a bandwagon without reading the studies yourself.

And I'm the queen of England. How nice to meet you.

well diptidy doo da....I am the freaking King of England..what the hell is my queen doing on MFP???
  • ndj1979
    Options
    it is a soft drink. it is neither good or evil. it is amoral.

soft drinks are Satan reincarnate...repent now!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I have heard so many things going either way. What's the verdict??

WHAT ARE YOU EVEN ASKING?? oops caps lock.
  • jessicalynntaylor27
    jessicalynntaylor27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it all the time, Everyday was like two or three 32oz fountain cups. then I decided I would stop. Quitting that stuff is like quitting crack. Now i just drink Boring ol' water
    er_zpsefce0f6f.gif

Oh and beer, I do still drink beer LOL.

Can't give up the beer! We aren't crazy people here.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't like to consider foods as good or bad, because I try to remember that this is a lifestyle change and that moderation is key.

For example, I have chocolate EVERY DAY. Is my body perfect? no. but have I lost 28 lbs in 3 months without feeling deprived or upset? HECK YES. And I'm proud and going strong.... more than halfway towards goal!

that said, I drink diet soda. I have a few a week and I don't think it's the end of the world... moderation!!!

plus, I like it. I want to consume things I like. If I don't, I'll lose motivation and gain that weight right back.

So...... if you like it, drink it. Just don't go crazy. :flowerforyou:
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mefrs7GzYL1r0au73o1_500.jpg
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Probably not going to cause weight gain. IMO not good for your health. Artificial sweeteners are artificial. Artificial IMO is not good.

But I chew gum, so there ya go.
  • 84woolf
    84woolf Posts: 153
    Options
    http://thesmilingman.hubpages.com/hub/Diet-pepsi-Ingredients-Explained

1. Carbonated Water: Plain water into which carbon dioxide gas has been dissolved.
    Health effects: Linked to tooth decay. May reduce fertility. Suspected teratogen (any agent that interferes with normal embryonic development).

2. Caramel Color: Brown food coloring and flavoring made by heating a sugar, usually corn syrup. May be processed with ammonia and sulfur to intensify color.
    Health effects: May contain ammonium compounds. May affect stomach (gastrointestinal problems), liver, and cause hyperactivity. Caramel color produced with ammonia has been associated with blood toxicity in animals. Associated with reduced white cells and lymphocyte counts.

3. Aspartame: Artificial sweetener. Made from aspartic acid and phenylalanine.
    Health effects: Studies link it to cancer in rats. May cause neurological and behavioral issues. Reported symptoms include irritability, headaches, insomnia, hyperactivity, seizures, memory loss, migraines, depression, vision problems, memory loss. Should be avoided by those with the genetic disorder phenylketonuria.

4. Phosphoric Acid: A colorless, odorless solution made from phosphate rock (not a food).
    Health effects: May lead to calcium loss in bones and tooth erosion. Eye, skin, throat, nose, and respiratory irritant. Can cause osteoporosis. Linked to kidney damage and kidney stones.
    *A corrosive, used to remove rust.

5. Potassium Benzoate: A preservative. Potassium salt of benzoic acid. Benzoic acid is synthesized commercially from toluene. Toluene is produced in the gasoline making process and the making of coke (carbon fuel produced by distillation of coal) from coal. Therefore, potassium benzoate is a petroleum or coal tar derivative.
    Health effects: Asthma, hives, eczema. Caution advised if aspirin sensitive. Benzene, a known cancer-causing agent, can form in soft drinks when sodium benzoate and ascorbic acid (vitamin c) are mixed.

6. Caffeine: A bitter, white crystalline xanthine alkaloid that is a psychoactive stimulant drug.
    Health effects: Psychoactive, addictive. May cause headaches/migraines, heart disease, depression. Causes birth defects in rats. Can cross the placental barrier. Inhibits fetal growth. Women who consume the amount of caffeine in one and a half to three cups of coffee may nearly double their risk of miscarriage.

7. Citric acid: A weak organic acid used as a flavoring agent and a preservative. Extracted from citrus fruits or made by fermentation of yeast or mold. May contain MSG. May be genetically modified.
    Health effects: If MSG sensitive, may provoke symptoms.

8. Natural flavors: Any flavor not chemically derived. Obtained by physical processes from plants or animals. Made to provide flavor to a food rather than nutritional value. May contain MSG.
    Health effects: Unknown. Natural flavors may be acquired through any number of processes. Naturally derived ingredients may be altered, rendered unsafe.

^^^ THAT.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I used to drink it all the time, Everyday was like two or three 32oz fountain cups. then I decided I would stop. Quitting that stuff is like quitting crack. Now i just drink Boring ol' water
    er_zpsefce0f6f.gif

Can't give up the beer! We aren't crazy people here.

you will have to pry the beer out of my cold dead hands with a crowbar..!
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    #HeavenSent
  • TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Honestly diet soda is NOT real food and has little to recommend it health wise.... but, in reality it is MUCH less bad for me than being this over weight is and it often gets me over a sugar craving hump and helps me stay under my limit!!! So, for now, I will drink it and deal with ditching it when I am in a better place to do that!!!!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I have a couple of cans a week when the urge hits.

I used to drink a whole 2-liter bottle of regular soda in one sitting and drink soda daily, so I consider this an improvement.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    “What if evil doesn't really exist? What if evil is something dreamed up by man, and there is nothing to struggle against except our own limitations? The constant battle between our will, our desires, and our choices?”
    ― Libba Bray, Rebel Angels
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Back away from the soda!
  • sstoro
    sstoro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think that the hardest thing that I've not been able to give up yet is diet soda. I'm sure that its really not good for me at all.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    er_zpsefce0f6f.gif

FULL METAL ALCHEMIST.
    sorry. that was random. :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I drink between 2-4 cans of diet pepsi a day, I'm still alive, haven't exploded, and I've still managed to lose over 100lbs. If you like it just drink it.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For me, it's good. It tames my sweet tooth without actual sugar.

^^^This exactly. Plus, I can't have sugar, so it's my only "soda" (or pop, cause I'm from Michigan) option.