diet soda...good or evil???

Options

Replies

• deaftolight
    deaftolight Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda is fine. I hate the whole "aspartame is bad" bandwagon. Sure, if you have like 20 Diet Cokes a day it's probably not good, just like everything else. For some reason I always notice that the same people who try to tell me how bad diet soda is are the same people who smoke tons of weed and think everything is a conspiracy masterminded by the government.

I drink at least 1-2 diet sodas a day. And when I tried not drinking it for about a month, I felt absolutely no better. I didn't feel worse, but I didn't feel any better either.

There's studies that correlate it with increased cravings for sweet foods, which would be an indirect cause of weight gain by overeating these during your cravings... but if your diet is in check, that won't be a problem. Everyone craves sweets and junk food every day, but If you're counting your calories on mfp, then well duh you probably already have the discipline to fight your cravings.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's inanimate so can be neither good nor evil
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking one right now. Welcome to the dark side. :drinker:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Good or evil? Can I go with "meh?"
  • katescountdown
    katescountdown Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would say if your trying to lead a healthy lifestyle put the chemical cocktail down, even better yet don't buy it.

But if you're not concerned about your health just your weight go right ahead.
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    As long as you drink it in moderation as with everything. Depriving yourself of everything you like will lead to failure. I personally drink it more than most people which is a problem, but baby steps, I used to drink regular soda.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Aspartame = evil. That *kitten* is linked to cancer and other chronic diseases.
  • k8sbug
    k8sbug Posts: 1
    Options
    well said!!!
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    All soda and carbonated beverages are bad, bottom line.

If you really want to be fit, don't half-*kitten* it. Be dedicated, forget the soda just to quench the short-term need for a sweet bite.
    Instead try drinking only water and greentea.
    As for the sweet tooth goes, ever consider making your last meal a sweeter/healthy alternative? Try some greek non-fat yogurt with a scoop of banana or your preferred flavor of protein.

Just my two-cents.
  • Shr3dded
    Options

I'd like to see proof of this claim, as I'm fairly sure this is just mom/broscience and it was debunked a year or two ago.

Splenda/Stevia is a great alternative to sugar for those who have a terrible sweet tooth.
  • ntanasiciuk
    ntanasiciuk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    THE DEVIL!! lol ASPARTAME (found in DIET)!! Horrible for you. It is hard on your body, linked to cancer, and a documentary I watched one time mentioned how piolets in the air force are NOT ALLOWED to drink it because it is not good for your eyes/eye sight. I do not remember the last time I had a soda. Sodas do not appeal to me. For me it is a no-brainer... NO SODA. Just try and quit it. Drink water!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I don't have it often because I can get migraines from too much aspartame. But every so often, when I want to feel full like I've just pigged out, I'll eat a whole bag of Smart Pop popcorn and a coke zero and VOILA! Full.
  • ntanasiciuk
    ntanasiciuk Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I'd like to see proof of this claim, as I'm fairly sure this is just mom/broscience and it was debunked a year or two ago.

Splenda/Stevia is a great alternative to sugar for those who have a terrible sweet tooth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1392232/

Here is one. But seriously, you want proof? Go find it.
  • nksdesign
    nksdesign Posts: 1
    Options
    Sorry I don't think one or two a day is moderate. Why not go for good ole water. Nothing better than that.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD think of the toxins!!! Ask your naturopath or psychic how bad it is!

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.
  • Shr3dded
    Options

That still provides no sufficient proof. A study done in 2005 when everyone went bat**** crazy about diet soda causing cancer.
    Again, stevia and splenda are healthy alternatives to sugar and more than likely, not used in excess, won't cause cancer or any related diseases.

Water and Tea, all you need.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options

And this article which refutes your study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Did you know that being born is linked with dying at some point? Aspartame does not have any correlation with cancer, sorry, play again.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options

Everything is linked to cancer in California.
  • Shr3dded
    Options

And this article which refutes your study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/

Thank you sir.