Nike+ Running vs. Runtastic Pro

Options
Trying to decide which is best for tracking runs. I am a bit of a data junkie, and love to see all the number. Which do you use? Do you recommend it?

Replies

• cinciti
    cinciti Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic but that is because my HRM links to the app on my phone. I have not used Nike+Running so I cannot speak on that. But I DO love my runtastic which not only links to my phone app but also dumps straight into MFP.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I wouldn't like it to MFP because I don't log my calories burned here as I use TDEE -20%, but i like the option.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Just to note, one of the biggest issues for people is music integration. Both APPS integrate very well with your music and have good functionality during your run.

Nike+ Running only gives you the basics; duration, pace, map of the route, how you felt, shoes tracking, estimated calories (never close to correct for me), and overall progress over time. This is actually more than many runners want or care about. In addition, you can select if you want to do generic (basic run), specific distance, timed, or a speed run.

Runtastic Pro adds a TON of additional things.First off, you can select the type of activity you are going to do. For example, I can select if I did treadmill or run or bike ride or many many other options. It has a better delayed start timer, so you can set a default, but if you need to tie your shoe lace or adjust your armband that hold your phone, then you can easily extend the time to start your activity. It gives you the same stuff as Nike+ Running, but you can also do interval training, which for me, is HUGE.

In addition, you get really fun stats such as elevation, max speed, pause durations (great for when I am doing brick workouts), calories (can sync with an Ant+ or bluetooth monitor I think) OR if you use a separate HRM, you can input your calories after your exercise is done. It also tracks your average and max heart rates, as well as the temperature if outside. Many other options, but you can just go to their website. These are the features I use the most.
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    The Nike + app is ok but I find it gets more and more inaccurate the farther you run (about .01 extra per mile you run). I use a Garmin GPS Running Watch with a Heart-Rate Monitor as my primary and for my data junkie needs and Nike + app is secondary only to compare against my friends on the Nike + websites who have Nike + watches.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I wouldn't like it to MFP because I don't log my calories burned here as I use TDEE -20%, but i like the option.

Just don't enable the option for Runtastic to link to MFP.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump for more opinions.
  • misschynagyrl
    misschynagyrl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know this isnt in your options but for Droid my absolute fave was Cardio trainer because it would auto stop my music but for iPhone the closest I could get was using RunKeeper, which I love aside from the fact that it doesnt auto stop my music. I can play a playlist and also add voice prompts and of course post to FB or twitter. Hope that helps!
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I like my nike+ sportwatch with the gps. I don't like carrying things or having bands on my arms. I don't listen to music either though when I run outside. If I have no choice but to run on the treadmill, then I'll listen to music and use the app. Chances are though if I'm down to the treadmill option I'll probably just use a rowing machine or spin bike.
  • misschynagyrl
    misschynagyrl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tried runtastic but didn't like it but I cant remember why, and I could never get the Nike app on my phone to work..
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ for my runs, and like it well enough. I've had issue with the distances being off but it allows you to calibrate certain runs to make the distance more accurate to your stride, etc. I ran 15.48 miles this past Sunday, checked the distance against google maps and "Map My Run" and it was dead on.

What I really love are the achievements on the profile. Pretty motivating stuff. Also it tracks your numbers based on the terrain you run most and gives you a title based on your most popular terrain for the week ("Road Warrior", "Treadmiller", "Beach comber").

It also tries to sell you stuff a lot, which I find really annoying but easy to overlook.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have never used Nike but I have a couple friends who really like it. I dumped Runtastic a couple months ago for Runkeeper; I used the free version of Runtastic so I don't know if the Pro would have been any better. The GPS signal kept dropping and the log in took forever. I haven't had any issues with Runkeeper (free version) at all and I like the free training plans they have in it. The website allows for mapping out routes to make planning my long runs even easier!
  • peterkuhar2
    Options
    What do you think it's most important in a running app? What stats do you look for while running? Is music control a big deal?
  • chrisdutoit
    Options
    I use iSmoothrun for the iphone. It syncs my runs/rides to Strava, Runkeeper and Dailymile. Strava is for comparing with friends (most use strava), and Runkeeper is my actual log to see my own progress over time (and they have advanced reports).

Runkeeper does have their own app, but iSmoothrun is more accurate and also because it syncs with various services it is why I prefer that.

I usually look at the avg. page, how I performed per km (pace), total elevation climb, calories burned, etc.

What I like about runkeeper's website is that my strength training workouts (logged using either Gain fitness or Gym hero) are also synced to that site, so in one place I can see my food intake (from MFP), strength and cardio (running and cycling). I think it is because I'm a stats junkie that I really like the runkeeper online site for that purpose.

Oh, and another reason I prefer iSmoothrun - the GPS seems more accurate, and it also switches to accelerometer in case the GPS signal fails, and will swicth back as soon as it gets a clear signal again. I also used the metronome in the app to increase my cadence from 154 average to 166 average which is nice.

As for music - i created a special playlist, so i'm not worried about control from the phone. I'm using a flipbelt -type belt to hold the phone so it is inaccessible while running in any way.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use iSmoothrun for the iphone. It syncs my runs/rides to Strava, Runkeeper and Dailymile. Strava is for comparing with friends (most use strava), and Runkeeper is my actual log to see my own progress over time (and they have advanced reports).

Runkeeper does have their own app, but iSmoothrun is more accurate and also because it syncs with various services it is why I prefer that.

I usually look at the avg. page, how I performed per km (pace), total elevation climb, calories burned, etc.

What I like about runkeeper's website is that my strength training workouts (logged using either Gain fitness or Gym hero) are also synced to that site, so in one place I can see my food intake (from MFP), strength and cardio (running and cycling). I think it is because I'm a stats junkie that I really like the runkeeper online site for that purpose.

Oh, and another reason I prefer iSmoothrun - the GPS seems more accurate, and it also switches to accelerometer in case the GPS signal fails, and will swicth back as soon as it gets a clear signal again. I also used the metronome in the app to increase my cadence from 154 average to 166 average which is nice.

As for music - i created a special playlist, so i'm not worried about control from the phone. I'm using a flipbelt -type belt to hold the phone so it is inaccessible while running in any way.

Thanks for the detailed answer!! I will be checking these out for sure.