I'm Just Curious About The Excess

Options
divaford140
divaford140 Posts: 2,511 Member
O.K. to all those awesome success story heroes (men and ladies) got a question for you. In particular for those that have lost 60 plus pounds or more. How have you been able to lose or tone the extra skin/flab. I've read articles from time to time about people who have lost a lot of weight getting plastic surgery just to remove the excess skin they cannot tone. I'm still on my journey so I have not reach goal yet but I'm foreseeing that as a possible challenge. I guess some of it depends on your elasticity? Just wanted some feedback from the real live MFP heroes (smile)!

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me not to do anything until 2 years after I lose the weight as the body will ajust to most of it. I also read on the lap band web site the same thing. I am praying that is right as that surgery for skin removal scares me.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this topic! It is a big concern of mine as well. I've lost slowly, almost 80 lbs total, but most recently the last 20 or so have come off. I hate the skin where the fat used to be! Especially under my arms, the bend of my elbow & knees and my cleavage area. I did a little research, and beyond surgery, they suggested a daily body scrub to increase blood flow to accelerate skin production and 2 x daily application of almond oil and/or vitamen E oil. I've gone so far as to use anti-aging serums and creams, which I can tell you is getting expensive. It is also increasing the time it takes me to wash my face at night or get ready in the morning. Does it work? I don't know yet - ask me in 3 months :tongue:

If those reading this are under the age of 40 and have 50 or more pounds to lose, take my advise and do it NOW. (Those who know me have heard this before). Weight loss is traumatic to your skin. Aging is traumatic to your skin. Don't double the pain and deal with both problems at the same time!

I'll be watching other responses and hope someone has a better answer.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i thought doing crunches tightened the skin so that wouldnt happen????? on stomach
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    You will end up with loose skin after losing a large amount of weight, but with proper core and/or muscle building exercises/lifts you can tone and build muscle in those problem areas (specifically the lower tummy area).

Cocoa Butter is great for skin-tightening and getting rid of stretch marks. But bottom line is you have to keep at it until you're happy with how you look, not with how other people look at you.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    its hard to tell, there are many facts that can effect it - age, height, total weight loss, etc. Whats important is that you keep hydrated and exercise. Also be patient as the "excess" will "reallocate" as my doctor told me and redistribute so what you look like after losing 20 pounds may not reflect what you will look like after you lose 40.

That being said, I think its never something that people should worry about off the bat as its better to have excess skin than excess fat - and this is coming from someone who will need plastic surgery to remove excess skin lol. I'm 5'2 and I was overweight most of my life and held a lot of my fat in my stomach, hence after losing over 100+ pounds I have a LOT of excess skin there, and NO crunches will not help I assure you lol. It may help the ab muscles but until I cut off the skin and excess fat it wont be visable, even my doctor confirmed that :frown: oh well. But despite that (and my wingbat arms, and floppy thighs and boobs lol) I feel better than ever. Plus with clothes I look great and no one can tell that I have excess (well at least not to the extent that it exists).

Edited: however a friend of mine also lost about 100lb and she happily wears 2 piece bathing suits and claims to never exercise lol. Though she is 5'6. So like I said it all depends.

Good Luck!
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm not a hero by a long stretch, but I have read over and over that lifting heavy weights is the way to retain lean body mass while losing weight and avoid the loose skin problem as much as possible. Check out this post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Strength training. I'm still battling some lower stomach flab/loose skin, but lifting weights has definitely helped alot with firming it up. I still have ways to go, but I'll get there. Patience is key. Good luck
  • divaford140
    divaford140 Posts: 2,511 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the feedback gang, keep it coming!
  • bettebadass
    Options
    My doctor did advise me that I would have to have surgery to remove excess skin. However, I'm a 3 Biller and when I reach my goal I'll have lost almost 200lbs. So I'm sure that has something to do with it. But I have noticed that weight training has helped tone me up, especially in the upper arms.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Bump cause I'm also curious! I haven't seen my doc about this cause I'm in my 20s but I have a bit of sagging skin of childbirth years ago and even with all the strength training I'm doing, it's still not going anywhere. Guess I have to wait longer?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!