Wooooo banana...wait, no.

Options
Pearsquared
Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
I'm low on my calories, so I'm trying to eat more calorie dense foods to help. On a whim, I thought "Work has bananas! I shall have one instead of a pear because bananas have more calories!"

Then I logged it.

Nope. 'Bout the same.

Banana was still delicious.

Ever been surprised by the calorie content of some, whether is was way less or way more? I'm sure many of us have, but I'd love to hear stories. 8D

Also, any recommendations for a similar snack that is more calorie-dense.

Replies

• jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Eat more? Eating clean and making sure you're getting enough calories can be difficult, if I'm low I just bump up the portion size or eat again.
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    Eat more? Eating clean and making sure you're getting enough calories can be difficult, if I'm low I just bump up the portion size or eat again.
    I struggle with binge eating, so I don't want to eat beyond being full. ): I might switch back to full-fat cheese to help, although I'll have to watch my portions closely because I tend to get out of control with cheese. o:
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    One of my fave snacks is apples with peanut butter. The peanut butter adds some nice healthy fat and a bunch of calories.
    That and it tastes great!
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    One of my fave snacks is apples with peanut butter. The peanut butter adds some nice healthy fat and a bunch of calories.
    That's a good idea, actually. I might try it with nutella too. 8D Thank you.
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    Show me one person that got fat from eating fruits and vegetables, and I'll show you a person that is underweight from eating nothing but fried and transfat saturated foods.

Just eat the fruit. Its fruit. Alter your next meals according to your macro needs. Its not that difficult. Cheers.
  • ntanasiciuk
    ntanasiciuk Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Oh the joys of Nutella. Nutella is DELICIOUS, but it is NOT good for you.. It is empty sugary calories. Especially adding that onto fruit, which fruits are high in sugar, is a big heaping pile of sugar. Sugar is not good for weight loss. I would definitely recommend natural peanut butter... meaning NO oil, sugar, or salt! Just good old roasted nuts. :)
  • Pearsquared
    Options

Oh the joys of Nutella. Nutella is DELICIOUS, but it is NOT good for you.. It is empty sugary calories. Especially adding that onto fruit, which fruits are high in sugar, is a big heaping pile of sugar. Sugar is not good for weight loss. I would definitely recommend natural peanut butter... meaning NO oil, sugar, or salt! Just good old roasted nuts. :)
    Bleaugh. xP Won't eat it if I don't like it. I might as well think of a savory snack instead.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have 100/150 empty calories a day (ice cream or chocolate), and it's fine by me, lol. It makes me closer to goal and so far I haven't binged once in 4 months.

I don't like peanut butter though, except with chocolate, and I'm trying to avoid that (I stick to the 100 calories bar from trader joe's).
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    spaghetti was a big surprise to me a lot more then i thought it would be
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Me too! One of my favorite before bed snacks
  • ntanasiciuk
    Options
    You want some beneficial calories ? Try nuts! Almonds and pistachios are good for you. Also, almonds help to curve your hunger :) Maybe you can look into Hemp Seeds. I add that to ever breakfast in the morning, in my oatmeal.. eggs.. or lunches and suppers in sandwhiches, salads, etc. They are high in calories, but nutrient rich! Has more Omega 3 when I compared to salmon burger one time, is high in protein and other awesome stuff! The serving on the back is 3 tablespoons, and it's about 150 calories. Around there, look it up if yu would like. Also, you like toast? Instead of margarin, I spread avocado on my toast nice and thick. High in calories, high in fat (GOOD FAT) and avacados are wonderful for you.
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    I have 100/150 empty calories a day (ice cream or chocolate), and it's fine by me, lol. It makes me closer to goal and so far I haven't binged once in 4 months.

I don't like peanut butter though, except with chocolate, and I'm trying to avoid that (I stick to the 100 calories bar from trader joe's).
    It's a struggle because my sugar intake is high, and honestly, the reason I started changing my diet was because my blood sugar was high. o: I think I'll kill the sugary yogurt and have eggs and whole wheat toast for breakfast, and then a popsicle for dessert instead. I'm glad you're not a big peanut butter person, either. I don't like peanuts in general, but I do like cashews and walnuts. x3
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Nutella contains palm oil. Orangutan habitats in Indonesia and Malaysia are being destroyed to plant palm farms to harvest the oil. It's delicious, yes, but it's not very good for Earth.
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    You want some beneficial calories ? Try nuts! Almonds and pistachios are good for you. Also, almonds help to curve your hunger :) Maybe you can look into Hemp Seeds. I add that to ever breakfast in the morning, in my oatmeal.. eggs.. or lunches and suppers in sandwhiches, salads, etc. They are high in calories, but nutrient rich! Has more Omega 3 when I compared to salmon burger one time, is high in protein and other awesome stuff! The serving on the back is 3 tablespoons, and it's about 150 calories. Around there, look it up if yu would like. Also, you like toast? Instead of margarin, I spread avocado on my toast nice and thick. High in calories, high in fat (GOOD FAT) and avacados are wonderful for you.
    I will have to try an avocado! (: I don't think I've had one outside of guacamole, but I did like the guac.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I struggle with binge eating, so I don't want to eat beyond being full. ): I might switch back to full-fat cheese to help, although I'll have to watch my portions closely because I tend to get out of control with cheese. o:

Binging was my enemy for years. I removed wheat and I now binge no more. That's not to say I never indulge anymore, or eat more than I should, But I am no longer binging. Maybe you could keep a can of nuts in your purse, or some trail mix. Granola had a lot of calories and so do grape-nuts. Sprinkle some on yogurt and you will get a good addition to your calorie intake.
  • ntanasiciuk
    Options

Bleaugh. xP Won't eat it if I don't like it. I might as well think of a savory snack instead.
    What are you Bleaugh-ing?? lol! Natural peanut butter? Or peanut butter in general? Trust me, natural peanut butter is gooooood! :) I DO NOT like peanuts, I am not a peanut person, but I am down for some natural peanut butter anytime :P Or if it is peanut butter you don't like in general, try a different nut butter! Almond butter, macadamian butter, sun flower seed butter, etc.!
  • jenmarie0221
    jenmarie0221 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try PB2 (or another powdered peanut butter) instead. It's only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons (vs almost 200!), just 1.5g fat and just 1g of sugar. Sometimes if I'm low on calories for the day (or having a craving for something bad) I'll put tablespoons of PB2 and a sliced banana on a whole wheat flat bun (toasted!). It's delicious and tastes sinful but is a pretty healthy snack! (Of course you can always grab a handful of carrot sticks but where's the fun in that???)
  • 24at27
    24at27 Posts: 13
    Options
    Watermelon. I never considered the calories per wedge.
  • Pearsquared
    Options

What are you Bleaugh-ing?? lol! Natural peanut butter? Or peanut butter in general? Trust me, natural peanut butter is gooooood! :) I DO NOT like peanuts, I am not a peanut person, but I am down for some natural peanut butter anytime :P Or if it is peanut butter you don't like in general, try a different nut butter! Almond butter, macadamian butter, sun flower seed butter, etc.!
    I'll try a different unsweetened nut butter. It's the peanut butter in general. x3
  • ntanasiciuk
    Options
    I will have to try an avocado! (: I don't think I've had one outside of guacamole, but I did like the guac.

I would have to say avocado is not for everyone. lol.. I'll be honest, the first... three to four times? I DID NOT like it on my toast, but I am changing my lifestyle and know it is healthy and beneficial for my body. A wonderful thing about our bodies is that our sense of taste can aquire tastes! I now love it on my toast :) If you try it, promise you wont give up on it!!... and maybe don't put it on so thick. baby steps :P Also, it helped in the beginning when I put a tad of salt on it! (I am now salt-less though )