For all the people freaking out about Abercrombie...

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Jimmine Crickets

Oh wait. No. That’s the “future Biff” from Back to the Future.

That guy has horrbile ways of thinking.

And the store could make more $ If they sold sizes larger than size 10 for women. I noticed it also stated that they sell up to size 2XL to accomodate male athletes thou. Are there no women athletes in a size 11/12??

Exactly what I was thinking. Why in the hell doesn't A&F sell sizes to accommodate female athletes? Does he not think female athletes are 'cool'?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    that article was right - the douche makes it easy to see his douchebaggery, so that I know where to NOT spend my money.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to be discriminated against because of your fat, then lose weight. Plain and simple. I get the fat jokes too, believe me, but I figure people are entitled to do so. Being fat is gross and it's something I can control (or will soon). It's my fault I'm fat and if people want to exclude me because of it, that is totally up to them and totally fine with me. I encourage them to do so. Maybe it will inspire me to work harder and lose more weight.

It's not like he is discriminating against people who have no choice but to be what they are. We fatties have a choice. We chose to get fat.

Just cause you say it is "gross" to be fat doesn't make it so. You need to mentally overcome that barrier you got sold by certain marketing establishments. I really hope immediate people around you don't think you are "gross" cause that would be a sad living situation for them having to deal with a "gross" person all the time.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I shop at Kohl's... that place is nice... I am allergic to the perfume A&F spray so I have never been in one. But my boys have danced out front of one when they were little toddlers. That was cute. The eye candy is nice also. But I find the store just a "symbol shop". meh...
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    Instead of joining the group of sad and angry fatties that can't buy XL's, why not use it as motivation to push yourself into better shape?

How about we aim for a medium instead of being content with XL?
  • hayles333
    hayles333 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My favorite part of the post: "As for me, I’m going to take the passive aggressive approach and start buying used Abercrombie & Fitch clothes, cutting the tags off, sewing them onto really cheap and ugly mega-store jeans, and handing them out to overweight hobos everywhere." Freaking hilarious!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Instead of joining the group of sad and angry fatties that can't buy XL's, why not use it as motivation to push yourself into better shape?

I think plenty of us would rather move from XL to XXL
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand, and this is coming from a size 16 girl (former size 20), is why everyone is up in arms about A&F "hating" fat people, but no one claims a company like Lane Bryant, Torrid, or Big & Tall stores "hate" skinny people. I don't fit in A&F, even if I could, I probably wouldn't because I don't particularly like their clothes. I feel as excluded from there and my thin friends would feel when I shop at Torrid. My best friend is a size 4/6 and we love going shopping, but it's pretty few and far between that a store carries clothes that fit both of us. Whether we're in "standard" sized clothing stores or "plus" size stores, the other always finds an item of clothing that we wish they carried in out size. A&F and Torrid are both exclusionary to a certain type of shopper, but you don't hear an uproar about it on the other end of the spectrum.
    (on a fun side note, there used to be a plus size store near me called NO SKINNY! now THAT is blatant exclusion)

I used to complain about Lane Bryant's "real women" crap all the time when I shopped there. All women are real, thanks. I'd have stopped if there were another store that sold non-sucky clothes in my price range and size near me. I was glad when I shrunk out of them. I don't like body snark from any angle.

That said, I am amused that people are JUST NOW getting worked up over this. This is old news. It's never been a secret who the target demographic was and anyone who's pondered getting their clothing knows that their sizes are quite small for a lot of people. The only difference this time is the guy actually said what he was thinking. It doesn't matter if I agree with it or not. It's not my style clothing, it's too expensive for me even if I COULD fit in it and liked it and that stupid perfume they spray every .0002 seconds makes me sneeze.
  • DebraLosesIt
    DebraLosesIt Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    torrid, lane bryant, casual male big and tall that specialize in plus sizes. I don't think that's discriminating. there are tons of stores that don't sell sizes over 14 or 16. if he wants to sell size 10 and below, that's his prerogative. my problem stems from his comments about "cool and attractive" as if larger people can't be attractive or cool. I never fit into a&f clothes and now that Im losing weight and could potentially eventually fit into their clothes, I won't buy them.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My favorite part of the post: "As for me, I’m going to take the passive aggressive approach and start buying used Abercrombie & Fitch clothes, cutting the tags off, sewing them onto really cheap and ugly mega-store jeans, and handing them out to overweight hobos everywhere." Freaking hilarious!

I wish more companies were up front about the bigotry. We would probably never purchase another pepsi product of drive a Volkswagen again. I do wish I had access to a screen print though so I could print off ton of A&F shirts to the dirty, unwashed lot that they don't want their image to be soiled by.
  • DebraLosesIt
    DebraLosesIt Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    he will be pissed when he sees "ugly" or homeless people wearing his **** that was donated to goodwill because the cool, attractive people donated after finding out what an asshat he is. lots of my skinny, cool, attractive friends are doing exactly that because they don't want to be caught dead representing the message he sent out. he in turn makes the people that wear his brand look foolish.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    Each one of us, every single one of us discriminates against people about something. If it isnt the body fat, it is religion, or lack thereof, or political views, or color, or gender, or sexual orientation. Sure, we never consider it, never think about it, like to think we are so above all of that. But every single one of us discriminates.

Easy to type out a few words to cry foul. Very hard to introspect and say, hey I will not be a bigot today.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to be discriminated against because of your fat, then lose weight. Plain and simple. I get the fat jokes too, believe me, but I figure people are entitled to do so. Being fat is gross and it's something I can control (or will soon). It's my fault I'm fat and if people want to exclude me because of it, that is totally up to them and totally fine with me. I encourage them to do so. Maybe it will inspire me to work harder and lose more weight.

It's not like he is discriminating against people who have no choice but to be what they are. We fatties have a choice. We chose to get fat.

Just cause you say it is "gross" to be fat doesn't make it so. You need to mentally overcome that barrier you got sold by certain marketing establishments. I really hope immediate people around you don't think you are "gross" cause that would be a sad living situation for them having to deal with a "gross" person all the time.

I'm sure they do think it's gross. And there is no media market strategy. Fat is gross. There is no opinion about it. Take the fat out of your body and put it in a bag and see how cute that is for you.
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options

I think plenty of us would rather move from XL to XXL

I'd love for my chest to fill out an XL, but then again, broad chested men aren't the majority getting angry over this situation.
    It's those who don't want to make changes in their own lives and want others to conform to them.
    IE: The ones that snack on chips while they watch tv, drink soda constantly, spend a majority of their time on their *kitten*, and fill in free time with eating.

Very well played putting the alternate aspect into the play.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options

:heart: :flowerforyou: You have stated exactly how I feel about this whole situation.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Oy! People! The whole point is don't get so riled up over it! He has his opinions. You have yours. Make your choices based on your own.

Personally, I've never shopped there (even when I was thinner) and I have no urge to do so now. Is he a douche? Absolutely! Doesn't change my life in any way, though.

And, seriously, who amongst us hasn't made fun of A&F? This is a case of getting upset that the people we don't like don't like us. Waste of energy!
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    I'm confused, since when has Abercrombie been cool? In my history, the people that wear those clothes are the ones attempting to be cool because they believe the commercials that it is. I have always assigned their brand with "douche".
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    " This is a case of getting upset that the people we don't like don't like us. Waste of energy!"

Wow wow wow... are you trying to suggest that someone doesn't like me? wtf? is it you? are you saying it's you? I think you just said that you hate me. This is not the right forum for this discussion. Why couldn't you send this to me by private message? Are you aborting our baby?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Lol, my wardrobe consists of UnderAmour, Nike and Reebok.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Ha, at least he was being honest. I never shopped there and never will. Even in middle school when it was the "cool" thing I never gave into shopping there. I'm glad I didn't because who wants to be like everyone else?