Blind Woman Needs FUN cardio Workout!

Options
I'm blind. Well, I'm legally blind. Meaning I have some sight but not enough to drive or walk alone without my white cane.

I need to find a cardio workout that is FUN and engaging. ALL ideas and suggestions welcome. I've been trying to figure this out for a long time. The only thing that I rather not do is depend on someone else. Like running tether with someone.

You don't have to be delicate or politically correct with me! And I've not lost my sense of adventure, just my sight.

Replies

• AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There is a woman at the gym who swims even though she is blind. The floating lane separators help guide her. Also at many stores (i.e. walmart) there are cycling pedals that you just put on the floor and sit in a chair and pedal away.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    With a kettle bell you can get your heart rate up quite a bit, and I think it's fun :)
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Maybe Hula Hooping?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you can do an elliptical or a bike, I'd suggest that. You might actually really like a spinning class. All the cues are audible, and it can be as intense as you want, and there's usually fun music. You could also get into weight lifting, but I do think you'd need a trainer/partner, at least a first, to make sure your form is right.
  • MissStick
    MissStick Posts: 21
    Options
    Great suggestions.

√ I like the pool idea cause we have a pool at the Y down the street. I'm not much of a swimmer but I could take a deep water class.
    √ I like the spinning idea the Y has classes for that too. I used to do it. I'll try it again.
    √ I have a hoop. I don't know if I can get my heart rate up enough with it or for long enough to do anything. I'm inspired to try!
    √ Kettle bells might be fun. I will try some at the Y. Probably have YouTube videos on what to do.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options
    I have two legally blind friends I can ask them what they do.
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I would suggest an elliptical....when I am using it I put my music loud and close my eyes and go.......great workout!
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you want a at home great cardio workout out Jilian Michaels Burn Fat Boost Metabolism it is Fun to me because you are doing all sorts of different things. Not sure if this will work but you said you can see a bit not sure if that includes TV.
  • MissStick
    Options
    I have two legally blind friends I can ask them what they do.

Excellent. Thanks!
  • MissStick
    Options
    If you can do an elliptical or a bike, I'd suggest that. You might actually really like a spinning class. All the cues are audible, and it can be as intense as you want, and there's usually fun music. You could also get into weight lifting, but I do think you'd need a trainer/partner, at least a first, to make sure your form is right.

I'm off to try a spin class.
  • Onperch
    Onperch Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not a jump rope is great. Everlast makes a version that has a leather rope,
    ball bearing swivels, and wooden handles.

You can get your heart rate as high as you want to go. By changing the motion of the rope and the frequency
    of your jumps, it can be interesting.

You can move up to a speed rope if you really want to be fast. Watch a YouTube video for some ideas.

5dwiah.jpg
  • MissStick
    Options
    Tried spin twice now. Like it. Going to play with a jump rope tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas. I would still love to find a sport or something that's so fun I hardly care that I'm dripping sweat and can hardly talk.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options
    Suggestions I got were
    Jogging in Place
    Jump Rope
    Dancing (just put on some music and have a blast)
    Wii Fit
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Miss,
    I have RP so I'll likely be in the same boat too someday!

Ditch the cane, get a dog =D.
    What could be more fun (and cardio-esque) then playing with your dog at the park?
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was to see your post! I know several legally blind, and several blind people, and they are all overweight and out of shape. I am happy to see that this handicap has not slowed you down, nor decreased your desire to take care of yourself. Accolades to you! I heard of a woman years ago, who was blind who rode a tandem bicycle, and I thought that was pretty cool. :flowerforyou:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Spin was my suggestion! Good music and a great burn!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Consider checking out a Body Combat class at your Y. It's a fast paced kickboxing class. I am not sure you would be able to see the instructor, but maybe you could closely follow what the people right next to you are doing. It's super fun! Body Pump might also be fun for you. Both of these classes are set to a music track, so once you got used to the routine you would probably be able to do it from memory. That said, they change up the music track a couple of times a year, but you would still have plenty of time to adapt!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    turn up the music and dance away
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    jump rope or skip it
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not a jump rope is great. Everlast makes a version that has a leather rope,
    ball bearing swivels, and wooden handles.

You can get your heart rate as high as you want to go. By changing the motion of the rope and the frequency
    of your jumps, it can be interesting.

You can move up to a speed rope if you really want to be fast. Watch a YouTube video for some ideas.

5dwiah.jpg

did you really post a picture??? really???