calorie burn second opinion?

Options
2»

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I would cut back the cardio and add in strength training. You certainly do not need 90+ min of intense cardio. Are you training for anything in particular? If you are training for a half or full marathon then that's one thing, but if not, you should mix up your routine and add in strength or HIIT. You are really putting yourself at risk for overtraining.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would cut back the cardio and add in strength training. You certainly do not need 90+ min of intense cardio. Are you training for anything in particular? If you are training for a half or full marathon then that's one thing, but if not, you should mix up your routine and add in strength or HIIT. You are really putting yourself at risk for overtraining.

i'm not training for anything. my original (non-researched) goal was to cut my excess weight, get back to thin, and then find a maintenance plan that worked. lost around 22 pounds, and then plateaued, so joined this site to figure it out.

as i mentioned in the previous post, i only did 60 min today. i'd rather do 90, but if 60 seems sufficient to everyone, i guess i can do 60. i will increase my strength training, though honestly i'm already happy with my strength/musculature. i just have a small tire round my belly and sides (not back), and a little under my armpits that won't go away. due to my build, if i have a shirt on i'm sure anyone looking would think i'm just fine, but without, i definitely have a (small) gut.

i upped my intake cals, increased intensity of my workout, lowered time spent, and will add to strength m/w/f and see where it takes me. i fear i'll likely add a couple pounds first due to increasing my breakfast while decreasing my total cals burned, but if tdee is to be believed, long term it should work.

i'm not really sure how much to add to my strength training, but given i now have a couple more hours per day, i'll probably add in another 40 minutes or so m/w/f.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Strength training will be better for getting rid of the body fat since muscle increases your metabolism. I don't want to keep harping on it and honestly, you should do what makes you happy, but since joining this site, I have learned a lot. All cardio and nothing else is not going to get you where you want. It will help you lose, yes. No doubt it will help you get started but MANY MANY people post about how strength training has benefited them in decreasing body fat% . Good luck to you
  • dkhuff1
    dkhuff1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Go get the book New Rules Of Lifting. Most Libraries and Varnes and Noble have it. Read the part about metabolic training. It is well documented that long distance runners lose muscle massnas they trAin and have to really work at keeping their lean muscle mass. Do less cardio and kore weight training and interval training-- and constantly mix it up. The weight will come off. And I would eat more protein--small amounts of lean protein every 4 hours or so except when sleeping. It will help. Good luck.