Joined a Weight Loss Challenge, any tips?

Options
I just signed up for a weight loss challenge at my gym that starts May 15th and runs for 90 days. Does anyone have any tips for me to help me achieve a good weight loss in those 90 days? I have struggled in the past and wonder if this challenge could help me stay on track. Has anyone else done one of these challenges? If so, what did you do?

Replies

• Lola824
    Lola824 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I haven't done one, but have wanted to. I guess I would stick with my fitness pal and exercise, that is what helps me most! I am going to start training to run my first 5k so we will see how it goes. Good luck!
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one now and it's great because knowing your team is depending on you keeps you on track - not sure if your challenge is teams or individual. But wanting to win is a good motivation and even if you don't win, you've lost weight and gotten in better health and that's a prize in itself.
  • rodeooo
    rodeooo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just finished a 15 week weight loss challenge. I lost 41 lbs on a 1200 diet and working out 5 or 6 days a week, all cardio. I am now on a ketogenic diet to finish the last 25 lbs I want to lose.

Good luck on the challenge!
  • erinarvin1980
    erinarvin1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lola, Good Luck on your first 5K. I will be running my first on July 14th...The Color Run.

TwinkieMom, This is a individual challenge with an iPad as incentive. They will base it on BM, Weight lost, resting heart rate and then I have to write an essay about why I did the challenge, what I achieved, and why I think I should win.

Rodeoo, Congrats on the loss during your challenge. 41 pounds is a great accomplishment. Hope you are able to lose the last 25 easily.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do challenges online with DietBet - supportive community and you win money!! I won my last one, and I'm in another one now.

My biggest, wouldn't-be-successful-without-it tip is that I weigh absolutely everything on a food scale, including all recipe ingredients, milk in my coffee, etc. They're only like $25 on Amazon. This is non-negotiable for my success. This means I don't eat out- I pack all my own lunches. I limit added sugar and I don't do refined starches, and very little/no packaged food. And I get healthy fat from avocado, olive oil, chia seeds, etc- keeps me full!

I do allow myself one night a week to indulge a little, which usually means going out to dinner and then drinking with friends. I still track my calories (the only night a week that I'm estimating, because I can't measure) and I don't go *crazy* (still a healthy dinner, just maybe more cheese/carbs/bread that I wouldn't normally eat. and no calorie mixers!). It helps me feel like I can still live my life and lose weight, not one or the other! I love challenges- they keep me from "giving up" and buying a box of Froot Loops or something horrible :)
    In case you're wondering about calories, I'm 5'4, 24 years old, and I eat about 1400 cals/day plus a higher-calorie day on the weekend, so my average daily intake is between 1500-1600 depending on the week.

Diet is the most important part, but exercise helps me stay motivated, sleep better, and actually controls my appetite! I work out several times a week, but I also track my steps with a FitBit to make sure I'm getting enough daily activity in addition to exercise. You can use any pedometer or even free apps on your phone, but I like the FitBit because I clip it to my bra and forget about it, and it syncs with Bluetooth to my phone and computer!

I lost 9.5 lbs in 4 weeks on my last bet, so I think my methods work quite well! :)
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Take on day at a time and do not beat yourself up if you have one bad meal or miss a workout. Life happens.
  • erinarvin1980
    Options
    That is awesome Albertine! I have heard of the online challenges that you can win money. You gave some great tips and I appreciate it. This will be a struggle but I know I can do it.
  • tppchef
    tppchef Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    In my first 90 day challenge, I won $300.00. It's a bitter sweet story. I won because the other nine people stopped showing up. Then, I also did Dietbet with some family members online. I also won that challenge. Now I'm in the Hunger Games Challenge.

Tips...Most people quit or get disinterested. I love my Martial Arts classes. I'll never be a runner. So find something to do that you look forward to. Don't change all of your eating habits at once. I'd start with making breakfast your best meal of the day then figure out the rest of your meals. When I eat a good solid breakfast, I tend to not overeat at night. I am also motivated by my Fitbit. I love to look at the numbers throughout the day.

Good Luck!
  • erinarvin1980
    Options
    Congrats on winning your weight loss challenges. I am excited and scared at the same time. I have always seemed to do better when I have no choice and paying for a challenge gives me the incentive I need.

What it Fitbit?
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I watch what I eat, lean, and drink plenty of water. Plenty fruits & vegetables