Blind Woman Needs FUN cardio Workout!

Options
2»

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Love spin classes!

Could you try a kickboxing class or martial arts class? Most of those cues are verbal too and it's a great workout!:smile:
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am not LB but I am night vision challenged . During the winter I cant run outside it gets to dark in the evening .
    I run on the treadmill listening to an audiobook it makes it not as boring .I would just make sure I hold the rails until you get your cadence up
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    How about Spinning? My favorite form of cardio, join a gym that has classes the insructor can help you set up the bike and and show you how to change gears and what the different postions are..
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not a jump rope is great. Everlast makes a version that has a leather rope,
    ball bearing swivels, and wooden handles.

You can get your heart rate as high as you want to go. By changing the motion of the rope and the frequency
    of your jumps, it can be interesting.

You can move up to a speed rope if you really want to be fast. Watch a YouTube video for some ideas.

5dwiah.jpg

did you really post a picture??? really???

Hey I was unaware of what a jump rope looked like!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I am glad you like spinning. It's such a fun workout!
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    My heart is with dance and I believe anyone can do it :flowerforyou:
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You could try a spin class at your local gym. Our gym turns the lights off and there's only black lights. We just listen to the instructor and do what he/she says...no need to see them really. :)
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I second the hula hooping, you'd be surprised at the workout you can get if you get all srs bsns with your hoop. There are actually quite a few YouTube videos dedicated to hooping workouts, it's kind of a trendy thing haha
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Didn't see all the spin class suggestions before me! Sorry about that. Glad you've tried it now and like it! :)
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    How about horseback riding? When I volunteered at our local therapeutic riding center, there was a young blind girl that actually competed in horse shows. She had a headset on and her trainer had a mic and would tell her when to turn, change gaits, stop, etc. It's not intense cardio, but it will work muscles that you don't generally work otherwise lol, and you will be tired after a good ride :smile:
  • MagnaFitness
    MagnaFitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Greetings!

I am a personal trainer and among my wide range of clients, I have several blind clients. There is no workout that my other clients do that cannot be adapted to these folks. I've even instructed them on how to run and several have run 5K races! Exercises that work great for the blind include:

Do this for time:
    30 jumping jacks
    5-20 push-ups (depending on strength)
    50 buttkicks
    5-20 dips off a chair or step
    30 crunches
    - take a nice long rest in between each set. Complete five sets of this and you will get your *kitten* kicked, your heart rate up and build strength.

If you'd like to chat more - feel free to message me directly at jhalstead@magnausa.com

Cheers!
  • MagnaFitness
    MagnaFitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Greetings!

I am a personal trainer and among my wide range of clients, I have several blind clients. There is no workout that my other clients do that cannot be adapted to these folks. I've even instructed them on how to run and several have run 5K races! Exercises that work great for the blind include:

Do this for time:
    30 jumping jacks
    5-20 push-ups (depending on strength)
    50 buttkicks
    5-20 dips off a chair or step
    30 crunches
    - take a nice long rest in between each set. Complete five sets of this and you will get your *kitten* kicked, your heart rate up and build strength.

If you'd like to chat more - feel free to message me directly at jhalstead@magnausa.com

Cheers!
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This might sound crazy, but consider judo. I saw some AMAZING blind judo in the 2012 Paraolympics. Granted, these athletes have been training for decades, but they had to start somewhere. The matches start standing and the competitors each grab their opponent's uniform (regular judo does not start with the competitors having their grips), and then someone goes for a ride! It was incredibly inspiring, especially for a grappler like me, but should inspire anyone.
  • DoJulieDo
    Options
    Take a dance class where you have a partner like ballroom, latin or country.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Beaded jump ropes make a sound as they hit the ground that tells you to jump. I cant do jump ropes that do not make the sound.

Also, dancing is a great idea.
  • kschoono
    kschoono Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hello

I am also legally blind. :) I am thinking about buying a tandem bike so my husband & I can ride the bike together. :) Have you thought about a tandem bike? I also like to run on my threadmill on low speed. :) I also use my mobility cane when we go for hikes. :) I hope this helps. :)