How to ween yourself off sugar?

Options
I've always had a sweet tooth, who hasn't? But for the past few months I feel i've become a complete sugar addict. I'd rather have a pack of biscuits rather than actual dinner and find myself snacking an awful lot on sugar products. I've tried to eat more fruit to stop eating so much junk but I find it doesn't actually work,
what do you do to prevent overeating sugary junk?

Replies

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've always had a sweet tooth, who hasn't? But for the past few months I feel i've become a complete sugar addict. I'd rather have a pack of biscuits rather than actual dinner and find myself snacking an awful lot on sugar products. I've tried to eat more fruit to stop eating so much junk but I find it doesn't actually work,
    what do you do to prevent overeating sugary junk?

It's totally a mental thing honestly.
    No food is inherently "good or bad" for you per se, it really depends on the overall.

If you're ultimately looking to kick sugar, eating a lot of fruit is probably not the best way to go about doing it. What makes fruit sweet is fructose, think of fructose as "fruit sugar".

I myself have a sweet tooth too. Really once I cut out most of the sugar from my diet, I was craving it like crazy for a while. It didn't take long to pass though.

Be stubborn about it!
    It's really that simple.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Do a 30-day challenge for yourself: eat nothing with added sugar, no dessert-type foods, only a single piece of fruit a day (to ensure that you're not placating the sugar craving), etc.
    Don't think of it as weaning yourself, make it cold turkey, else it's too easy to rationalize backsliding.
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi, I'm arenkel, and I'm a sugar-holic.

I actually just started the 21 Day Sugar Detox, which basically cuts out sugar (yes, including fruit) and grains completely. It's available as an ebook for $21 at balancedbites.com (I was debating forking over the cash, and I gotta say, it seems worth it). The program has a Paleo feel to it, with lots of meat and good fats and very little carbohydrates.

I'm only on Day 2, so I'm having a rough time of it right now, but my goal is to kick processed sugar OUT of my life! I want to get to the point where all I want for dessert is one piece of fruit.

A lot of people compare sugar to a drug, and honestly, it is. I think the best way to kick the addiction is to simply cut it out for a few weeks and let your body adjust to functioning without massive amounts of sugar. It's not easy, as I'm finding, but I think it'll be worth it. (Check back with me in 19 days and we'll see, haha)
  • arenkel
    Options
    Also check out "I Quit Sugar" by Sarah Wilson. It's an 8-week program that eases you in a little more gently.
    I'm impatient, so I picked worse withdrawal symptoms and a quick program over the gentler, longer one.

(You also *might* be able to find it at a cheaper price than 21DSD)
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    Replace sugary sweets with fruits or stop falling prey to your own mind and urges and do it the easiest way possible..

Here it comes..

Just don't eat that crap anymore. You need to make the decision for yourself if a few minutes of sugar satiation is worth keeping you from your final goal.

It's that easy.
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    Also check out "I Quit Sugar" by Sarah Wilson. It's an 8-week program that eases you in a little more gently.
    I'm impatient, so I picked worse withdrawal symptoms and a quick program over the gentler, longer one.

Don't buy this crap. Be your own person and just stop eating the sugary junk food.
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just read an article that said sugar is NOT addictive...it's probably everything else they put in the food that becomes addictive...lol...
  • arenkel
    Options
    Don't buy this crap. Be your own person and just stop eating the sugary junk food.

Hey, to each their own, right? If you want a program with strict guidelines, get the book. If you can handle it on your own, handle it on your own. I personally like the books, because they lay it out for me. It's not for everybody, and that's okay.

Edit: I realize that I may have come across as trying to "convert" people to the program I'm on. I'm not-- I'm just really excited that I may have found a way to free myself from sugar.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugarholic, too, and it's one of my biggest problems. Dried fruits, candy bars, chocolate, ice cream, granola, cookies, cakes, jam - anything with sugar in it calls my name 24/7!! Please let me know if you figure out anything that works :/ I've heard chromium pills can help, but haven't personally tried them yet.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes or another medical condition, there is no reason to track or limit your sugar intake. Sugar is a carb. Track your overall carbs.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm arenkel, and I'm a sugar-holic.

I actually just started the 21 Day Sugar Detox, which basically cuts out sugar (yes, including fruit) and grains completely. It's available as an ebook for $21 at balancedbites.com (I was debating forking over the cash, and I gotta say, it seems worth it). The program has a Paleo feel to it, with lots of meat and good fats and very little carbohydrates.

I'm only on Day 2, so I'm having a rough time of it right now, but my goal is to kick processed sugar OUT of my life! I want to get to the point where all I want for dessert is one piece of fruit.

A lot of people compare sugar to a drug, and honestly, it is. I think the best way to kick the addiction is to simply cut it out for a few weeks and let your body adjust to functioning without massive amounts of sugar. It's not easy, as I'm finding, but I think it'll be worth it. (Check back with me in 19 days and we'll see, haha)

oh man. you wasted $21. although what you are doing is probably a good idea, trying to gain control over something you are struggling to regulate in your diet.

I'd say all you have to do is stop eating junk food of all kinds for a while, as long as it takes for you to not want them, and go from there.

mostly this is a self control issue.

sugar is not bad.

sugar is not like a drug. noone turns tricks for dat *kitten*.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

withdrawal.

tumblr_mb76haMcjy1qk4naao1_400.gif
  • arenkel
    Options
    sugar is not like a drug. noone turns tricks for dat *kitten*.

See this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

Abstract:
    The experimental question is whether or not sugar can be a substance of abuse and lead to a natural form of addiction. “Food addiction” seems plausible because brain pathways that evolved to respond to natural rewards are also activated by addictive drugs. Sugar is noteworthy as a substance that releases opioids and dopamine and thus might be expected to have addictive potential. This review summarizes evidence of sugar dependence in an animal model. Four components of addiction are analyzed. “Bingeing”, “withdrawal”, “craving” and cross-sensitization are each given operational definitions and demonstrated behaviorally with sugar bingeing as the reinforcer. These behaviors are then related to neurochemical changes in the brain that also occur with addictive drugs. Neural adaptations include changes in dopamine and opioid receptor binding, enkephalin mRNA expression and dopamine and acetylcholine release in the nucleus accumbens. The evidence supports the hypothesis that under certain circumstances rats can become sugar dependent. This may translate to some human conditions as suggested by the literature on eating disorders and obesity.
  • Obey46
    Obey46 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Stevia.

/end thread
  • arenkel
    Options

withdrawal.

tumblr_mb76haMcjy1qk4naao1_400.gif

Okay, cut the B.S.

You may not agree with my choices, and that's fine. Please stop making fun of them-- that's just plain rude.

Now I see why people hate these forums. I was just trying to help.
  • Jmeisalive
    Jmeisalive Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Actually, the brain treats sugar quite a bit like a drug. When we eat sugar, our brain releases dopamine, just like when someone ingests narcotics or alcohol......so yeah. And whether its a physical or mental addiction- its still a challenge. I'd suggest sometime of positive reinforcement, ie for ever week without refined sugar reward yourself with some non-food item...perhaps a pedicure or massage?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You sound exactly like me. I was eating so much sugar I was in a constant state of crashing. Go cold turkey. After 5 days, your withdrawal will be over. My goal was to make it three weeks without eating sweets, and today is day 18.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am a sugar 'addict' too.

I once gave up sugar for 6 weeks - no sugar in anything (fruit was ok). I switched to Xylitol for coffee and baking.

Dropped weight like crazy.

Went back to my usual habits afterwards, I felt no better or worse mentally or physically but did gain a little bit of weight back - but recently I have switched to Splenda, I find it tastes better and is a yummier substitute and helps control my weight.

I still eat sugar in other foods - just not in hot drinks anymore, which was a problem for me.

I find my strongest sugar cravings happen when I am exercising more.

I usually work donuts and waffles into my calories plus I love chocolate fish which are from New Zealand (I live in OZ) and they are great for a sugar/ choc fix and are only 70 cals each.

I got my hot drinks down from 140 cals to 90 cals while maintaining the sweetness I crave with Splenda. A chocolate fish and a hot drink usually hits the spot for me.

Lollipops might help you - but if you're anything like me you should only buy one each time you shop.

Keep temptations out of the house!

Good luck!
  • bstevens1021
    Options
    I agree. My whole weight problem resides with my sugar addiction. I would crave something sugary, go to the store and buy a pack of Oreos, and they would be gone within 24 hours. I would eat a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting. I couldn't make myself stop once I started eating something sweet, and I wanted something sweet ALL THE TIME.

I finally made a real, true commitment to eating better a couple weeks ago. My first step was to cold-turkey cut out all sugar and fast food. It's now been three weeks and I've had dessert with two meals in that whole time, and I don't crave it as much as I once did. I still every once in awhile want to go buy a candy bar from the vending machine at work, but then I just tell myself no, and I don't really think about it after that. At this point I think it's more of a habit or an instinctive turn toward the sugar when I want something that tastes good, and not a craving for the sugar itself. If you can get past the first few days of wanting it constantly, the *need* for it really does go away.
  • marissa81579
    Options
    Weaning off of sugar is such a daunting challenge at first. More afternoons than not, I found myself counting up all my change lying around my office to see if I had enough to get an afternoon snack - which invariably was something horrid like reese's pieces. HaHa.

However, I have been really strict with myself for a couple of weeks now and at this point in time, I am not craving sugar at all. It is becoming easier and easier for me to pass up that cookie at lunch or whatever. In fact you're reading the post of a bona fide sugar addict.....yet I can say in all honesty I've only had one sweet thing in the past week - ONE girl scout cookie! (I couldn't resist).

So my recommendation is to just be strong in your head, when you see the sweet treat, think about your goals

Too much sugar is definitely a health risk, it sort of poisons your cells, leading to premature skin wrinkling and sagging, and certainly can lead to a higher risk of diabetes type 2. So best to avoid it at most times and all the sugar I eat at the moment is from my fruit intake (a simple sugar your body can process readily)

Good Luck