Runners-at what point....

2»

Replies

• longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    for me it was when i went to my first running shoe store (like that's all they sell-running stuff) to get fitted for the perfect pair of running shoes...

...when i really realized i could say to people i'm a runner without questiononing myself, was after i got injured and was sad i had to take some time off.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    I started thinking of myself as a runner when I realized I could run a mile and not feel like I was dying when I got done. I'm still a newbie to running (only a couple months at it), but I most definitely am a runner. I've even got half marathon training laid out to start in November. I've got my first charity 5K in a week and a half from now. And I am one who will run in any weather. Outside, in my silly looking gortex hat and poncho. Yeah, they probably slow me down, but being somewhat dry after a run in the rain is preferable.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    The fact that you get up and run when you could sit at home. The fact that you want to run. The fact that even when it is hard, it is fun. All of that makes you a runner.

#2 and 3 are why I dont consider myself a runner.

I dont want to run.
    It's NEVER fun.
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    I run between 6-15 miles per week, you are darn right I am a runner. I own every single mile, slow or fast, it's MINE!
  • maribeth721
    maribeth721 Posts: 10
    I felt the same way you did. I run between 25 and 30 miles a week but I still felt I had no business calling myself a "runner." I finished my first half marathon a few weeks ago, I now FINALLY feel like a runner.

Funny, Runner's World had a post on facebook today that said, "You know you're a runner when ______________." And all these people were commenting and I could related to SO many of their comments! That really made me feel like a runner. If you're on facebook, check out the post.

Some of my favs were, "when you're driving in your car and you see someone running and you get jealous." "When you own more running clothes than regular clothes." "When you can't go out on Friday night because you have to do your long run Saturday morning." "When half or more of your laundry load is running gear." :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.
    - John "The Penguin" Bingham
    [/quote]

This one. Though I do get intimidated by runners who are faster/have more experience.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    The fact that you get up and run when you could sit at home. The fact that you want to run. The fact that even when it is hard, it is fun. All of that makes you a runner.

^^^This. Totally.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    I felt the same way you did. I run between 25 and 30 miles a week but I still felt I had no business calling myself a "runner." I finished my first half marathon a few weeks ago, I now FINALLY feel like a runner.

Funny, Runner's World had a post on facebook today that said, "You know you're a runner when ______________." And all these people were commenting and I could related to SO many of their comments! That really made me feel like a runner. If you're on facebook, check out the post.

Some of my favs were, "when you're driving in your car and you see someone running and you get jealous." "When you own more running clothes than regular clothes." "When you can't go out on Friday night because you have to do your long run Saturday morning." "When half or more of your laundry load is running gear." :)

Love these, I can say all of the above are so true for me! I guess I can call myself a runner :) How about "you know you're a runner when you refer to everything as pace not speed" "I slowed my pace to let a car in"
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    :) this made me smile
  • TooLeftFeet
    I just ran my third half marathon on Sunday..I run in the rain, snow, heat (hate the heat!) and to be honest I just literally started calling myself a runner a month ago, when my avg pace went under 10 min miles...yet everyone would call me a runner, I just wouldn't call myself one. When people starting asking for my advice on running..I still didn't call myself a runner...

but I also NEVER ran until a 1.5 years ago, so it took me a long time to realize what I had become :)

That is just me.

So I have to admit-today, I so did! We ran with someone new today, and he kicked it up a notch. We were being polite but it was faster. On Wed, I logged 5.7 in60 minutes (absolutely had to leave and couldn't do the last .3 grrrr). Anyway, today was 6.0 withhold in 57 minutes. I broke 10! So yeah, today, I am thrilled.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    If you run, you are a runner. There is no set of qualifications to join the club :)

Though I did have one distinction. After my first marathon, I said "I have run a marathon". After my second, I started saying "I am a marathon runner".
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    I run. Therefore I'm a runner.....so are you.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Kind of relates, I love this article :)

http://www.shelterpub.com/_fitness/_running/run_5_stages.html

ETA: Right now, I consider myself at Stage 3

But in all seriousness, I agree with the vast majority, if you run you are a runner, although it took me a long itme to feel that way about myself. I think when I started getting over 20 miles in each week faithfully was when I felt like a runner
  • TooLeftFeet
    I appreciate all of the responses. I don't like getting out of bed at 5:00. But I feel great while I'm doing it. I like that its simple. I even lost my first toenail (ick). Guess that's telling. It's hard not to compare myself. Thanks again, all, and keep at it!!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    I ran a 5k without stopping! I am a runner!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    I AM a swimmer. It's in my blood. It's always been there, it always will be. My heart beats faster when I hear that word. I can FEEL it when I watch other people swim (GOOD swimmers, the Olympics) I never fear a swim workout, and there's nothing I won't try workout wise, although there are things I prefer not to do. I don't get anxiety about my next practice (unless something gets in the way of it). I am a night-owl, and it is THE ONLY thing I will get up for at 4:45 AM...a time I would prefer to be just going to sleep. My husband is the one who noticed that, as I had never put that together before.

I started running in January, and I run three times a week, only missing three workouts so far due to serious illness. I really enjoy it, and I get excited about my workouts and the things my body has leaned. I notice every person I pass running, and I wish I were there beside them. But I am a person who runs. I am not a runner. I have been moving towards "runner" status, but I honestly don't know if I'll ever get completely there. I know what it is like to BE a swimmer.

There is a difference between it being something you do (and thoroughly enjoy) and it defining who you are. I also am a seamstress, although I don't sew much these days. Swimming and sewing are how I define myself as it comes to activities, even though I don't DO much with one of those things at this point in my life.
  • mom2izzyandallen
    mom2izzyandallen Posts: 25 Member
    "I AM A RUNNER, because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far." My favorite quote.

If you run, you are a runner.

After running the Pittsburgh Half Marathon on Sunday, I am officially ... A RUNNER OF STEEL!

THIS!
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    I graduated from c25k this morning...

I'm a runner :)
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    I used to ask myself that same thing... Then I read a book called Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running and realized that I was a "runner". I ran every other day 3-6 miles and did 5ks every now and then. Rarely run in the rain but otherwise all weather is great running weather. If you run, even if it's a walk/run, you're a runner. Welcome to the club! :drinker:
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    I am still in the process of finishing zombies 5k training, on week 6 and there are 8 weeks. I will consider myself a runner when I finish and can run a whole 5k. I started feeling more like a runner a few days ago when I did 3.13 miles during my session, even though I walked some of it and my running is almost as slow as my walking lol.