Working on feet all day.....

Options
Hey guys!!!
I am having trouble figuring out how to calculate my calories burn from work today. I work as a cashier and I am on my feet for 8hrs. But I am barely at my register. I am walking around filling stuff and doing things to keep me busy.

Any help or suggestions??

Kmchandl

Replies

• Therapist_mama
    Therapist_mama Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do you have chest strap and wrist Heart Rate Monitor you could wear to track it? I use the Polar FT40 to track my calorie burn.
  • Jetz3920
    Jetz3920 Posts: 4
    Options
    I think you should invest in a watch. I just bought one on sunday. I had no idea that I burned 480 calories at work from 730-220 until I bought my watch. It is a calorie counter,pedometer and heart rate! Hope this helps
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I work in retail and am on my feet 5 days a week for 4.5-9 hours depending on the day. I have my activity level set higher so that MFP takes my job into account when it spits out the information for me. If you don't want to do it that way, I would buy a pedometer (I wore my Ipod to work one day just to see how much I burned while I was at work) and see how many steps you're taking.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It's much easier if you just put in your information that you lead an active lifestyle (I don't remember the exact terminology) and just add any EXTRA exercise to your diary. For instance, I work on a college campus. I never count walking across campus unless I do it more than once in a day. When it's part of your daily activity, it's not worth fretting over how many calories you burn.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Like kmtetour stated, change your activity level instead of trying to count it as exercise.
  • veriviki
    veriviki Posts: 44
    Options
    I think you should invest in a watch. I just bought one on sunday. I had no idea that I burned 480 calories at work from 730-220 until I bought my watch. It is a calorie counter,pedometer and heart rate! Hope this helps
    What watch did you buy? I'm looking at buying one but I don't really want to pay for a polar right now haha.

I work at a nursing home, and am walking around, transferring residents and standing up for 8 - 12 hours depending on the shift. I always add that as exercise because by the end of the shift I always feel like I have had a great workout haha. I think it depends on what level you set your activity level though. I'm a student, so I have mine at sedentary because if I am not working I am sitting most of the time.
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you BMR is, but for a BMR of 1400, 358 calories would have been burned just lying around during that same time. You have to subtract out what you would have burned anyway when you count calories as "exercise". If your BMR was 1400cal/day or close to it, that would only have been 120 calories extra burned. Just FYI. I think people don't realize this when they put calories burned into the log and eat them back.
  • Jetz3920
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I really don't put that down as my only exercise. I do work out and walk home from work. I am very active at work so I was curious to see how many steps/ calories do i use at work. I don't think I will burn 480 calories just from lying down. I wish! I've been home for 2.5 hrs and burned only 60 calories and I cooked and clean! Lol
  • Jetz3920
    Options
    I bought at sports authority sports lie watch cost 120. Best investment ever can't wait to hot the gym and see if it matches the card machine!
  • ConnieHann
    ConnieHann Posts: 3
    Options
    have you figured it out yet I also need to know
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A HRM will not be accurate for this. The calorie estimate formula is based on a relationship between HR and VO2 max during steady state cardio. There is a very low correlation during low intensity exercise.

Your job should be account for in your daily activity. Choose the lightly or moderately active in the MFP setup and don't log it as exercise.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A HRM will not be accurate for this. The calorie estimate formula is based on a relationship between HR and VO2 max during steady state cardio. There is a very low correlation during low intensity exercise.

Your job should be account for in your daily activity. Choose the lightly or moderately active in the MFP setup and don't log it as exercise.

This is great advice. Follow it ^^