How to change eating habits?

Options
For me, I was always used to not eating breakfast and eating late afternoon or early evening. Today I tried to eat breakfast and I couldn't handle 2 bites of my cereal before I was done. I was wondering if anyone started like this also, or have any tips to change the routine of my eating.

Replies

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Skipping breakfast is something I do all the time, I'm just not hungry in the morning, and it helps me to save those calories for later in the day when I am hungry. I like Martin's blog, he has a lot of scientific studies to back up his theories (and I think it's epic that he calls them theories, and admits that we still know nothing about the human body).

I do a 16/8 fast, but that just helps me control my count and my cut, I like to graze all day. What kind of eating habits do you have when you aren't paying attention to your weight loss goals?
  • Galloping4God
    Galloping4God Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've always had that problem. And to this day, I still can't eat cereal in the morning. I started by eating an apple, then an apple with peanut butter, and now I eat about 2 scrambled eggs with potatoes. Honestly, it helps keep me from "over eating" during the day. :)
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    I never ate breakfast either. But kept hearing it is the most important meal of the day.
    I don't know if that is true, but I thought I would try to make that change.
    There was no trick, I just started a little at a time. I wouldn't eat too late so that I would feel hungry in the morning.
    Just keep at it. It will become routine as time passes, your body will ask for breakfast after a while.
    Good luck.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Skipping breakfast is something I do all the time, I'm just not hungry in the morning, and it helps me to save those calories for later in the day when I am hungry. I like Martin's blog, he has a lot of scientific studies to back up his theories (and I think it's epic that he calls them theories, and admits that we still know nothing about the human body).

I do a 16/8 fast, but that just helps me control my count and my cut, I like to graze all day. What kind of eating habits do you have when you aren't paying attention to your weight loss goals?

Exactly this. Forget the myths about breakfast being the most important meal of the day and having to eat breakfast to kickstart your metabolism. Don't eat breakfast if you're not hungry. Focus on making changes in other areas of your diet. People don't become overweight by not eating breakfast, they become overweight by consuming more calories than they burn.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I never ate breakfast either. But kept hearing it is the most important meal of the day.
    I don't know if that is true, but I thought I would try to make that change.

It's not. That was perpetuated by "experts" hired by the cereal industry, they had several studies done which showed that people who ate breakfast generally tended to be at a healthy weight, and people who skipped breakfast tended to be overweight...

The fact that breakfast skippers were more overweight probably had more to do with their dis-regular eating patterns and overeating at later meals because they felt more hunger, and most lunches and dinners are higher in calories than breakfast food.

Leading to breakfast being "the most important meal". It's the least.

Right when you wake up, your cortisol is at it's highest, cortisol helps you to wake up. When you eat, your blood sugar spikes, leading to a spike in insulin to react to it. The problem is, elevated cortisol levels amplify the insulin response, making insulin spike higher than it normally would, and faster than it normally would.

The problem is that because it spikes faster, it over-releases insulin, your blood sugar doesn't return to baseline, it actually drops below baseline because of too much insulin. This is why a lot of people feel hunger an hour or two after breakfast. Low blood sugar tells your body to eat.

Read the leangains link above, he goes into detail citing studies done about it
  • Adderly619
    Adderly619 Posts: 21
    Options

Well I just go with the motion of when I am or am not hungry, at least that how I was before I started going for my goal. Now I just eat Grilled Chicken, Egg whites and salads for the most part. Aside from the occasional snack here and there lol
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast right away-I have to work up to it. I start with a hot cup of tea; takes about half an hour to drink it because I'm relaxing and reading the paper. Then I move around a bit and get dressed. Then I have a morning snack-sometimes a bagel thin with a bit of cottage cheese with peaches (tried it - didn't expect to like it, but it was delicious) or a few crackers with peanut-butter and s/f jelly or cheese. Then I'm ready to go face the day! Sundays I do brunch - a specal treat like a veggie omelette with cheese or french toast with yogurt and fruit,or hash browns with an egg on top.
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat breakfast before 8:00am (usually the later the better). If I eat before 8:00am, I tend to binge the rest of the day. I'm not sure as to why my body does this. I can eat the same exact thing just at the different times, but for some reason if I eat earlier than 8am, I tend to eat more the rest of the day. However, even though I have to eat my breakfast at a certain time, I need to eat breakfast.

On the other hand, my husband does not eat breakfast. Our compromise is that he at least gets something into his stomach. He drinks a chocolate protein shake in the morning. For him that is what works. I'm happy with it and so is he. The major difference between him and me is when we eat dinner. He has night classes, so he doesn't get to eat dinner till after 10:30 pm (I eat dinner at 5pm). I feel that this has a huge impact on how each of us feel in the morning. Just do what works for you. If you are not hungry, don't worry about it. If you feel like your body does need some energy, maybe go with a protein shake in the morning.
  • kanvas92
    kanvas92 Posts: 7
    Options
    guys i have a question i've been doing this intermittent fasting to lose weight (8 hour window of eating and 16 hours fasting)
    i got results but is this for anyone or just those who are already fit and want muscle definition? or can a guy like me 159 lbs (5'4) person like me use this method as well?i just want to lose fat especially my stomach