Protein Shakes????

Options
So curious to know if i should have a shake before or after my workout if trying to lose weight?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    have a protein shake only if you need it to meet your protein goals for the day. doesn't really matter when you take it. i have mine after.
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    After; it helps repair your muscles
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I cannot live without them- right after a workout.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I didn't supplement with protein shakes while I was trying to lose weight because I got what I needed from my diet. I started using it as a meal replacement about a year or so later and still to this day I drink it as my mid morning snack except on leg day when I take it right after my workout (mainly because it fall into my mid morning meal slot).

Unless you plan to compete sometime soon, it's not that important when you take it. Bodybuilders/competitors have a set schedule for meals and most of their supplements but the average person doesn't really need to be that strict.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    have a protein shake only if you need it to meet your protein goals for the day. doesn't really matter when you have it. i take mine after.

Correct.

Personally I don't have any shakes, I aim to meet my protein goals with regular food. Definitely not a necessity.
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I always have a hard time getting my protein in so I'll have one for breakfast too!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I drink mine after.

I would get sick if I drank that before.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    As the first reply said, eat them if you need the cals it and it doesn't matter when. Nutrient timing is nearly meaningless in the big scheme of things. The only nutrient timing I use is I have a small meal with some carbs about an hour before the gym so that I have some energy for a good training session.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Im the same as a couple of other people who posted...I use them to boost my protein level for the day.
  • ascolli12
    ascolli12 Posts: 3
    Options
    thank you all for answering I guess i will first try to meet my protein needs with food if not i will add it in. Thanks again :)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Use them to bolster my protein levels.
  • sunshine5512
    sunshine5512 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So I drink one in the morning for my breakfast. It is low in carbs and sugar and pretty high in protein. Is it not a good idea to have another one after I work out if I still have not met my protein goals?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So I drink one in the morning for my breakfast. It is low in carbs and sugar and pretty high in protein. Is it not a good idea to have another one after I work out if I still have not met my protein goals?

It won't hurt you, but it's fairly easy to get another 25-40 grams of protein via real food once you start looking for places to get it. Real food always trumps supplements
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I drink my protein shake for breakfast and compensate the rest of my protein with lunch and dinner. Plenty of chicken and fish so I am always over or close to my goal. I don't think I could do the shake before my workout, all the liquid sloshing around in my stomach when I run sounds uncomfortable.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Since I do 16/8 intermittent fasting I take my protein shake after I work out. However, I always take a pre-workout drink that has a few vitamin B's, some electrolytes and some BCAA. I find it really helps me from not getting sick to my stomach while I work out, and it give me a pump (a splurge of energy) when I work out...it has no calories, but BCAA are the building blocks for proteins and have really helped me retain lean tissue during my weight loss.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    have a protein shake only if you need it to meet your protein goals for the day. doesn't really matter when you take it. i have mine after.

This. You don't need a protein shake unless you are not hitting your daily protein goals from regular food alone. Real food is always best. A protein shake is simply a supplement to help you reach your protein macro.

A protein shake will not help you lose weight themselves.

Most people prefer to have protein shakes after a lifting workout it seems.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i usually try to have a good amount of protein (from food) throughout the day. i do use protein powder to help reach my macros, especially after lifting. also... something you might not know - protein powder can give you gas. really, really, stinky gas. just a warning.... :frown: