Sugars....

Options
I have been working on my food intake for most of my life...

It used to be all bad. So bad that I am ashamed to think about it. These days, I am filling up on tons of fresh fruit (mostly) and (some) vegetables, however, doing this really skews the numbers as far as "sugar intake".

In your opinion, is it bad to have too many sugars if most of them are "natural"? I hate to go back to eating the processed junk, but wonder if my weight loss plateau is being affected by my overall sugar intake (and yes, I know there are many other factors involved with a plateau, but am going through the possibilities right now).

Replies

• amyjobarber
    amyjobarber Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My friend in Des Moines is a huge nutrition gu-ru and she says that although fruits are better than candy bars, they still process as sugars. She said the only fruits that don't process as sugar are all berries and granny smith apples. Bummer!!
  • darbybishopglime
    darbybishopglime Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Luckily, 75% of my fruit intake is actually berries!
  • chelbel89
    chelbel89 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am also watching my sugars and carbs (as a recommended regiment by my doctor for my PCOS). I have noticed such a difference after cutting out high sugared fruits! I do still eat berries and the occasional apple, but I stay away from bananas, watermelon, and ESPECIALLY pineapple! Do I splurge and eat some every now and then? Of course, its a lifestyle change! But for the most part I just keep the lower sugar fruits in the house! Best of luck!
  • CMLenard
    CMLenard Posts: 1
    Options
    I use a glycemic index chart to gauge which fruits I can eat. I stay away from bananas, mangos, most apples, grapes; but do eat berries, low glycemic apples (Granny Smith), and some citrus for the vitamin C. I typically eat 1-2 peices of fruit per daymax, because even the natural sugars in fruit keep me from achieving my weight loss goals. I definitely understand your frustration. When I had the munchies, I went for the fruit because I was sure it would be better for me-not helpful for weight/fat loss. Hope this is helpful :)
  • Mbrowne55
    Mbrowne55 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the above information about fruit. I love it all and so far it has not interfered with my weight loss. But I have noticed that I am over the allotted grams for sugar every day! Mostly due to my fruit intake.

I love all fruit but didn't know that pineapple was especially bad. Fortunately I also love berries and granny smith apples. They are my favorite apple actually. Guess I better stick to them and lots of berries.