Black tongue---WTH?

tenajh
tenajh Posts: 208 Member
This is really strange and embarrassing at the same time. woke up with a black tongue yesterday and believe it to be related to stress on the immunological system, but not sure. Using nystatin now to clear it up. anyone of you had nutritional problems with this. I am soon to be 49 and did not know this even existed. Teeth a little discolored also, Stopped this new supplement from Hawaii that is black and in a capsule, thinking the oil is causing a problem, but am really confused. Imagine someone using a black sharpie on your whole top of your tongue and not being able to brush it off. WIERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    you may have a viatamin deficientcy, more than likely niacin
  • nlbsnb
    nlbsnb Posts: 2 Member
    Pepto bismol tablets not chewed and left in the mouth overnight can make the tongue black. Maybe the supplement has some of the same properties. Did you check with the doctor?
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    You may have crap on your tongue. Happens to me every time I eat a chewable Pepto. Basic chemical reaction to certain food particles stuck on the surface of your tongue.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Pepto bismol tablets not chewed and left in the mouth overnight can make the tongue black. Maybe the supplement has some of the same properties. Did you check with the doctor?

Yep this. Chemical reaction of some sort w/something you are taking could definitely be the cause. I also get the pepto black tongue. Maybe whatever you're taking has a same ingredient.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Are you a smoker? This can cause black tongue. Otherwise, other causes can be as mentioned above (pepto bis) as well as a bacterial overgrowth. It isn't a harmful condition. Use an antibacterial mouthwash multiple times a day and it should clear up. Some people also try sucking on pineapple, but there aren't any studies to confirm it's efficacy.
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Giraffes have tongues which are over a foot long and, more noticeably, their tongues are also black. Have you noticed any elongation of your neck recently?
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    I strongly suspect that this mystery is solved here:
    ... this new supplement from Hawaii that is black and in a capsule...
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Did you talk to your dr about those black pills before starting the nystatin??
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I strongly suspect that this mystery is solved here:
    ... this new supplement from Hawaii that is black and in a capsule...

You're, like, a genius.

You know what the makers of the pill should do? Call it a detox pill and say "it will pull the toxins out through your tongue - when you see the black stuff on your tongue, scrape it off."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    There are many things that can cause it, apparently. Most are harmless and temporary.

http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Black_Tongue_Symptoms_and_Treatment_a1353.html