CONSTANT HEARTBURN!

Options
Serenifly
Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
Ugh ... So I do have a coffee every morning, went from 5 cups a day to 1 (2 on a bad day! )

That''s not it ... a month ago, I had a smokie, at a BBQ (I don't eat burgers) and I had such bad heartburn for a week that I couldn't even run 5 feet without feeling like I was going to puke up Acid

I Tried Tums, Rollaids to no luck... magically it went away, three days ago though it all started again and I'm suffering big time ... Eveyrhting I eat or drink brings up more acid ...

Is there any other remodies people can suggest? Wait in my small town for a doctor is 4 - 6 weeks :(

Replies

• RachSuzanne
    RachSuzanne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try Prilosec OTC....you can get it at any pharmacy or grocer.
  • krex
    krex Posts: 29
    Options
    This sounds gross but it does work...baking soda and water. Mix 1 tablespoon of Baking Soda to a 1/2 glass of water and choke it down! My husband swears by this and when I have heartburn that is not fixed with the normal things I do this and it is gone within 5 minutes after I drink it! Hope it helps...
  • SemiSweetRae
    Options
    You need to find a base food to neutrilize the acid. I don' t eat very many starches or breads and I am a very tightly wound high anxiety type of person, there isn't one day I don' t have acid reflux. Sometimes it's so bad that I think I am going to vomit if I open my mouth to answer the phone. I have found that quaker rice cakes have helped and I know it sounds weird, but a few sips of a highly carbonated soda. Brown rice helps me alot as well. Your body is probably used to having to make so much acid to deal with things like coffee. Things like milk and water have only made it worse for me. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help, if I can think of anything else I will let you know.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I watched this yesterday on YouTube and it makes SO much sense...it describes how the foods we eat create an acidic environment in our body (which causes acid reflux, forces our body to use many nutrients to stabilize neutrality, thus robbing bones of calcium, etc.). It was REALLY informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoAtwVyzZI
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    I've heard 2 red delicious apples (peeled) will get rid of heartburn... *shrug* don't know if it's true or not, but worth a shot? Good luck.
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    Liquid antacids are better than tablet ones (though less convenient to carry around)

If you keep having trouble you might have an issue with your stomach valves it's a good idea to get evaluated by a doc but he'll probably tell you to stop drinking coffee...

Edit. Oh, and make sure you're not sleeping on a downward slope, sounds crazy but if you sleep with your head/shoulders lower than your feet it can cause issues...
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I agree with krex - baking soda and water is the quickest way to get relief from heartburn and acid reflux. As far as something that might help the problem overall there are lots of OTC drugs, you just need to find what works for you- Zegerid is brand new as far as being an OTC, Prilosec and Zantac are two other former prescription meds. Also, try going to your local Vitamin Shoppe or GNC and picking up Papya Enzyme chews-they work so much better than Rolaids and Tums!! Also slowly drinking a glass of plain milk might help you as it will coat the esophagus and tummy some. I've been suffering from acid relfux for over 8 years and am now getting my husband through it, so I know how much it sucks. It wasn't until I changed my diet that I came off of all the meds for it! Hope you get some relief! :smile:
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    About 8 months ago I started getting really bad heartburn, I found out I had a hital herina and as soon as I got it fixed I couldn't feel better! Maybe you should go see a doc.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Hi, and sorry to hear of your trouble!

Up until the time I started MFP, I was (seriously) taking a PEPCID COMPLETE every night before going to bed. Within 5 minutes (if not less) the heartburn was gone. And now I think I may have had to have ONE Pepcid. It is the biggest change I have seen since starting all this!

Good luck, because there is nothing worse that that 'almost puking' feeling. Feel better!
  • TerriKim
    TerriKim Posts: 9
    Options
    CHEW GUM....google this. The chewing motion causes us to create saliva which helps to draw the acid into the stomach to break down the foods and send them on their way. You are causing more trouble using the ANTI acid medications.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    This sounds gross but it does work...baking soda and water. Mix 1 tablespoon of Baking Soda to a 1/2 glass of water and choke it down! My husband swears by this and when I have heartburn that is not fixed with the normal things I do this and it is gone within 5 minutes after I drink it! Hope it helps...

That was all I could do to get rid of mine cause I have acid reflux, then I found prilosec. Can't afford the real stuff but omeprazole is the same thing and I haven't had heartburn since I started taking it. Used to get it 4-5 times a day.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If you're starting to have heartburn more often then not, then go to the doctor. It can be something more serious.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I might try to baking soda and water thing when I get home @ Lunch ... sick but will try it, will get on a waiting list to see one of the two doctors this town has! haha
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I get heartburn/acid reflux if I eat certain foods, mainly tomato sauce or anything with sugar (juice, cookies, etc.). I have a Rx for it now that I use when needed, but I did find that sucking on peppermints help. I mainly just try to avoid those foods though.

Check your food diary and see if you can find a common denominator with what your eating on the days you get the heart burn.
  • WannaBHottyMommy
    WannaBHottyMommy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    priolosec, omerprazole, pepcid complete maxium strength, all OTC, i started getting acid reflux about a year ago, I did two rounds of taking these pills every day for I dunno what it was 14 days or a month or something to where I just need to take them as needed, but since I never know when the acid monster will attack I carry teh bottle in my purse.
  • Stefanie7277
    Options
    Forget the doctors honey! My husband went to the doctor roughly 10 years ago about heartburn...not even as constant as yours. He was put on an acid refulx medication...when that one stopped working, they put him on another, then another, then increased his dosage from one a day to 2 a day when they were out of options. He's been trying to heal himself of the damage all of that medication did for the last six years or so! After some research he discovered that they were treating him for an over production of stomach acid when he actually wasn't producing enough to break his food down...causing it to sit on his stomach undigested! Chew gum before you eat and after and get on a good probiotic...do a little research on the natural ways to heal yourself before you put yourself in the hands of someone making the pharmaceutical companies rich!
  • Stefanie7277
    Options
    If you do a little more research, you'll find that not ALL foods create an acidic environment...some actually neutralize our bodies. Unfortunately the symptoms can be very similar so it is extremely important that we diagnose our problem correctly. Some people create too much stomach acid, some not enough!
  • TerriKim
    TerriKim Posts: 9
    Options
    Stefanie7277 is absolutely correct. Let's do a little more research!!