At what point am I no longer sedentary?

Options
I have been managing 5 minute workouts to quick YouTube videos and increased to 10 minute videos. Am I no longer sedentary at this point? Or would I need to be at one hour or more of exercise?

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    What are you doing the rest of the day and how many of these 10 min videos are you doing?
  • 24at27
    24at27 Posts: 13
    Options
    I work an in front of the computer job, so sitting 8+hours a day then I have just enough time for one 5-10 minute video before its time for kids bedtime routine and then my own.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My opinion is worth it's weight in doggy doo doo, but in my mind you are still sedentary. I don't know if it would take a whole hour. Maybe 3 workouts per week, around 20 to 30 minutes each. I think it says that on the thingie. Did you read it?
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    still sounds sendentary, sorry.

It isn't so much about "time" as it is about getting your heart rate for about 20 mins. You should be breathing hard but still able to carry on a conversation with short sentences.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't work and I have a Fitbit and after walking 5+ miles today, I'm 65% sedentary for the day. That said, after working out every day and burning 3500 cals in exercise this week - I'm still 72% sedentary. Your activity levels will depend on how much you're actually moving around during the day. Very thankfully, I've proved that a person can lose a lot of weight and still be 75% sedentary due to health reasons.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate as I been working a sedentary job for about 20 years. I wish I can change jobs but right now I am kind not in position to. I read from two different sources that sedentary jobs can cause an early death. Here's the kicker: even if you work out after work! I have been into workouts before family with kids, during family with kids, and now it's yo-yo. So I have trouble fitting in exercise. I am fixing to work from home on my computer. I still have to log 8 hour plus days. I plan to do more stretching walking on treadmill on my home in-between working on computer. Normally in the office you would get a dirty look if they thought you were goofing off, Since I will be by myself, I plan to do silly yoga moves while no one is watching.

Are you able to get up early in the morning? I am no early bird myself and love my sleep. But this is how some people get their 30 -60 minute workout/ exercise. Take the kids for a walk or play in the backyard maybe.
  • 24at27
    24at27 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks you all!!

At 10 minutes I am chest burning, side pain, reaching for water. I hope to get to 20 minutes one day though, fingers crossed.
  • sculawstudent
    Options
    It is still sendentary at the moment. I am a volunteer firefighter, I do hard training every week or so (hose drills, ladder climbing ect) and during the course I am in at the moment we do a few weekend days of 8 hours of back breaking full on training plus the call outs we get (about 350-400 callouts a year averaged out) BUT because I study law full time too 70% of the time I sit in front of the computer reading or typing. Even my other volunteer job (wedding coordinator for a museum) is mainly a desk job and only 1 day a fortnight). So other than the average exercise of looking after the kids and housework I hardly do any other exercise, I try and do weights and a bit on the treadmill but dont get much time for that. I still count my lifestyle as sedentary.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week, about 90 mins a session in cross training. I still put that I am sedentary on my TDEE. Why? Because I drive alot, sit alot for work and do a lot on the computer for recreation. In other words when I am not working out at the gym I am sitting on my butt and that is sedentary...

Now another reason I do it is because I get a clear picture of exactly how much to eat back and not eat back from working out. If I burn 500-1000 calories in exercise (what I normally burn) on average I only eat back about half my calories.I figure if I am sitting on my butt most of the day the ONLY time I am really burning a lot of energy is when I am at the gym, no need to eat back everything I worked so hard to burn up.

I try to shoot for a calorie deficit of 500-1000 calories a day. I never eat under 1400 calories.