counting water

Options
Should I count cups of tea/coffee when I'm checking off how many glasses of water I'm drinking - or do I only count pure unadulterated water?

Replies

• victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I only count the cups or glasses of water I drink. I hope this clears some mystery up
  • PaliDNAnge
    PaliDNAnge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It depends who you ask. Some people will say count them as long as they don't have anything added to them. Other people will say no, keep it to plain water.
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just count my water.
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Personally I only count just water.

That being said, other people count tea and coffee as well as water.

What I would tell you is, that unless you are drinking decaf, coffee and tea have caffeine which naturally dehydrates you; in essence, subtracting water you might have drank. At least that is my understanding. Hope that helps!
  • LynneAmelia
    LynneAmelia Posts: 11
    Options
    I count it as part of my daily allowance re calories :) I enter it as a snack..
  • nminden
    nminden Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. The dehydration factor is an excellent point. I'll stick with straight water for the counting. Anything else will be bonus.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Up to you. Personally, I only count water. As with many things in life, experiment and see what works best for you. There's no clear-cut 100% perfect answer for every human on this planet.
  • ashleeveronica
    Options
    I just count water. I drink extra h2o when I have coffee and diet sodas... And I don't even track it in MFP I just have a water bottle that I MAKE SURE I drink when full at least 3 times a day... I drink my first whole bottle in the am before I do anything... Otherwise I would never drink enough water! :) good luck! Water is so important I didn't see consistent weight loss personally until I started drinking more water
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't differentiate between plain water and mixed drinks - it just extracts the water content - so I wouldn't disregard juices, soda and hot drinks and soups. Even caffeine cannot dehydrate you to the equivalent of its volume so overall coffee and tea are more hydrating than dehydrating.