Body Pump class. Beneficial?

Options
Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
I am doing my first body pump class tonight; i did a bit of google research last night and it seems a lot of people want to slate body pump.

has anyone had any success from doing this class?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Body Pump is a great cardio class, and it can also help you get a little stronger if you are brand spankin' new to weight training.

But just don't call it weight training. I think this is why people talk bad about the class. There are loads of people who do Body Pump INSTEAD OF hitting the weights in the gym because they honestly don't know the difference between true weight training and cardio with weights, which is essentially what Body Pump is.

I personally love the class and use it sometimes as my cardio in between my heavy weight lifting days.
  • KamiAnnClark
    KamiAnnClark Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have noticed great changes with bodypump. It is great for cardio and I am sore afterfrom lifting. You may have to play with the weights for a few weeks to get the right amount.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    BP is rubbish only if you don't do it properly! You will see a lot of bad form in BP because people aren't lifting the weights properly or using heavy enough weights.

A good instructor will tell you which muscles to squeeze/concentrate on while doing the exercises - listen to what they say. Really squeeze together shoulder blades when doing rows, use your chest for the bench presses etc. Don't be afraid to use heavy weights as well once you've got your technique hammered down.

I've only been back doing regular exercise 6 weeks, do BP twice a week and I notice huge difference in my definition and strength. I now feel ready to also include weights only strength exercises too.

Give it a go but put your all into it and you will get great results!
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    Pump is my favourite class at the gym.

I started a year ago, and had 10lb on the bar. Now it's 100lb for the leg exercises, and half that for the chest.

I started pump without doing any other exercise or watching what I eat, and lost around 14lb of weight, plus 4ins from the tops of my arms, 3ins from my waist, 3.5ins from my hips, 2ins from each thigh. It works for me!
  • karennh65
    karennh65 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!!! Since starting BP, as well as Body Step, Body Combat and eating better. I have lost 10 1/2 inches, 20lbs. Lost my back fat, and very close to being back in a biniki this summer. Haven't seen one of those in over 20 years. Not to mention I will now look HOT on my Harley.

I love the Body Pump Class as I find that it pushes me more than I would push myself if left to do any type of lifting or cardio on my own. For me the whole class thing has worked miracles. :wink:
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    Looks ok if you want to get your heart rate up for a while, other than that I wouldn't expect much out of it.
  • trudiedurbridge
    Options
    I have just started bosy pump (my first one was on Wednesday) and I am going again tonight.... I LOVED it! thought it was brilliant - really fresh and excinting! my muscles are hurting though!!! x
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I find it so - I'm starting to notice more muscle tone after a relatively-short period of regular participation, especially in the larger muscle groups. Longer-term, I think I will have to incorporate some free weights outwith the class into my routine, but as an introduction to weights, with a good instructor, I think it can be very beneficial, and it's surprisingly good fun, even when you're gritting your teeth and pushing through it!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite classes. Start low with weights just until you get used to the class, then you can go as high as you want. It's high repetitions, so you can't go as high as you can in the weight room, but particularly if you haven't been lifting regularly, you will see results. And it's a lot of fun.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Any exercise class has it's benefits, but is miles away from the effectiveness of individually prescribed exercise.
  • 1Amore1
    1Amore1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been doing Body Pump for 6 weeks and love it! This class has really made a big difference strength wise for me, I'm seeing big changes in the way my clothes fit and some muscle definition. I started light weight and I've already doubled the weight load, looking forward to upping it again soon. I take it 3X a week. I've been working out for years doing cardio classes and boot camp classes nothing has changed my body in such a short time as Body Pump. For me I consider this strength training, because I haven't done anything with weights and I wear a Polar Heart Rate Monitor and it's not comparable to my cardio workouts as far as heart rate and calorie burn.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I love body pump! It's great for toning muscle and burning fat, not so much for building muscle though. After my first class I was so sore I couldn't straighten my arms! I go twice a week now, love it. So fun.
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have a new found love for Body Pump also! I would definitely still incorporate a weight training program along with the class.
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do body pump twice a week as that is all I can get it in with my schedule. That would be the minimum you should do it so your not sore and can actually go up in weight. Take it easy on the weight the first few times as if you go to heavy (which I did), you will barely be able to sit on the toilet to go to the bathroom without being sore. After the first 2 to 4 classes you can start to adjust your weight. We have a group of women that go regularly and they look amazing. They are so toned. Make sure to have proper form but challenge yourself to go up on your weight when you can.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Body Pump is a great cardio class, and it can also help you get a little stronger if you are brand spankin' new to weight training.

But just don't call it weight training. I think this is why people talk bad about the class. There are loads of people who do Body Pump INSTEAD OF hitting the weights in the gym because they honestly don't know the difference between true weight training and cardio with weights, which is essentially what Body Pump is.

I personally love the class and use it sometimes as my cardio in between my heavy weight lifting days.

^^^ Agree.

I LOVE PUMP though, it was a great way for me to get to know the barbell since I was a newbie. I also did see a difference in my body shape plus the weight loss thing.

That being said, I'm experiencing it's more cardio. I was using it as my wt. training when I shouldn't have. I'm just now starting a true heavy lifting program and excited. Nice to know I can still go to PUMP on my off days from heavy lifting, it's fun.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda confused about people calling this cardio honestly. No, it's not heavy lifting, but if you challenge yourself, you'll be sore afterwards... and I can't see how doing that 'on days off of heavy lifting' is any good for your muscles. There's no way I could do any kind of weight or strength training the day afterwards for sure, lol.
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's really good for toning, but omg, I thought I was going to die the first few classes. You should try it and see if you enjoy it. I'm a wuss, so I stopped going.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Love!!!!
    Been doing it may be 9 months now. No other lifting. I push myself hard and regularly up my weights. I was a weakling when i started, i now feel much stronger!
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Been doing it three times a week for a year now. Amazing results. I am so much more toned, 15 lbs lighter and so much stronger. Granted, the weight loss could also be due to other cardio iv been doing, but im sure the definition isnt!

It cannot substitute heavy lifting, but it is a very good way to start out for people who dont have the time, knowledge or resources to lift heavy.