Graduation dinner tonight - Yikes!

Options
phieaglefan
phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
Hooray, my youngest is graduating from College tomorrow! No more tuition payments!!!

BUT... we have a family dinner planned at an Italian restaurant tonight. Since February when I seriously started this journey, I've only eaten out a handful of times. And never at someplace so fraught with perils.

My original goal was 160 which I've basically been at for a week. I lowered it to 156 a week ago because I felt like I could do a little more. I feel as if tonight could be a perfect storm of temptation and overindulgence.

A month ago, I would have gone and ordered only salad and perhaps some grilled meat. But since it truly is a celebration, and since I'm so close to my goal and have been SO disciplined in my efforts, I would like a small splurge.

Any strategies you have used in similar situations would be helpful. To be clear, I want to partake, but I don't want to put on 10 pounds in one meal.

Thanks for any advice :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is get a salad to help fill up, get exactly what I want for a meal, but immediately cut off (or push away, if it's pasta) about half of it. Depending on who I'm with, I'll ask for a box right away, but otherwise, the fullness from the salad helps to not eat the rest.

I kind of like it this way 'cause I get what I want for dinner that night, and I love leftovers.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think you should just go out and enjoy yourself.
    One night won't destroy everything you've done
    And just get back into the routine tomorrow
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Don't go to the restaurant starving! Make sure you eat before you go and start wth a salad and then entree and share a dessert. I don't know anyone who has weight issues because of one meal! After the celebration dinner, go back to healthier eating decisions.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options

This
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Plan what you're eating tomorrow and make sure it's ready and waiting in fridge.

Then go out and celebrate this once-in-a-lifetime occasion by eating exactly what you want, but just not past the point of fullness! Congrats to your youngest :flowerforyou:
  • workavoidance
    Options
    Have a broth based soup or a salad to start. Beware the bread. See if someone will split an entrée with you or if you can order a half portion. It's less awkward than asking the server to only bring half or sitting with half a plate of food in front of you for 30 minutes until someone takes it away. If you like pasta, get pasta. Don't do cream sauce, even in a small portion. If you get a cheesy dish, ask if they can go light on the cheese. Limit wine to 1 glass. Even doing all this, you'll probably be putting down close to 1,000 calories.

Don't think of the celebration as centering around the food. Focus on the people your with and your daughter especially.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hooray, my youngest is graduating from College tomorrow! No more tuition payments!!!

BUT... we have a family dinner planned at an Italian restaurant tonight. Since February when I seriously started this journey, I've only eaten out a handful of times. And never at someplace so fraught with perils.

My original goal was 160 which I've basically been at for a week. I lowered it to 156 a week ago because I felt like I could do a little more. I feel as if tonight could be a perfect storm of temptation and overindulgence.

A month ago, I would have gone and ordered only salad and perhaps some grilled meat. But since it truly is a celebration, and since I'm so close to my goal and have been SO disciplined in my efforts, I would like a small splurge.

Any strategies you have used in similar situations would be helpful. To be clear, I want to partake, but I don't want to put on 10 pounds in one meal.

Thanks for any advice :flowerforyou:

you won't get fat eating one bad day, just as you won't get slim eating one day of salad.

It's a precious family celebration - go out enjoy yourself and get back on track tomorrow.

You want to be enjoying the occassion not worrying about how many calories/fat etc are in each mouthful.

Have fun :drinker:
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options

^^^ Right Here ^^^

This is what I would do without one bit of regret. It won't hurt you. One night cannot ruin your new lifestyle.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you won't get fat eating one bad day, just as you won't get slim eating one day of salad.

It's a precious family celebration - go out enjoy yourself and get back on track tomorrow.

You want to be enjoying the occassion not worrying about how many calories/fat etc are in each mouthful.

absolutely this!

just DONT weigh yourself tomorrow morning!
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options

This!!
  • 60x60
    60x60 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'd say enjoy to the fullest if you want. If you want to practice moderation at the same time, pick no more than two splurges. I count splurges in a restaurant as:

a drink (alcohol or soda)
    bread
    appetizer
    rich entree that I wouldn't normally get because of calories
    fancy side dish
    dessert

I go out to eat rarely, but when I do I always allow one splurge; so two splurges does seem satisfyingly special. The other night for a very special celebration at an Italian restaurant, I did a six splurge. That felt fine mentally, but not so good physcially.

Oh and congratulations, I hope you enjoy the next phase of life tuition free.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Graduating college, Italian resturant..

Make sure you go for the red wine. Get a bottle.
    Pasta!
    finish up with cannoli.

Cannoli+without+drizzled+chocolate.JPG
  • phieaglefan
    Options
    Have a broth based soup or a salad to start. Beware the bread. See if someone will split an entrée with you or if you can order a half portion. It's less awkward than asking the server to only bring half or sitting with half a plate of food in front of you for 30 minutes until someone takes it away. If you like pasta, get pasta. Don't do cream sauce, even in a small portion. If you get a cheesy dish, ask if they can go light on the cheese. Limit wine to 1 glass.

You had me until the last sentence!

I will definitely do the salad, I do the same most lunches and dinners. I forgot about the half trick. I will see if that's an option from the start. I agree, I hate waiting for them to take it away. Too tempting to keep picking.

I don't think I'll be able to do too much damage. The other day I was having a broth based soup with lean beef and vegetables. It tasted so good, I went back for a second helping, thinking it was a fairly low cal meal, so why not. I was actually in pain with fullness afterward. I'll probably eat 3 bites of Italian food and explode!

Thanks for everyone's support and guidance!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

This again.

You've hit your goal, you've done well. You also raised a child who successfully graduated college. I think you can handle a bowl of pasta.

Just order a salad, maybe get a half portion of pasta (or put half in a to go container) and limit yourself to a couple of breadsticks. Oh, and have dessert! And a glass of wine or two. Enjoy yourself!
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options

absolutely this!

just DONT weigh yourself tomorrow morning!

Congratulations on getting kiddos thru! now go, enjoy yourself, one night of not fretting calories wont break all your hard work!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'm giving you permission to go and have a great time, eat and drink what you desire (but do not binge).

If you don't get straight back onto your routine the day after though....

I will find you.
  • AAllin38
    AAllin38 Posts: 20
    Options

What she said ^^ we have to enjoy life. just enjoy yourself and try and balance out the next few days with a little less so you can keep your average calorie intake for the week correctly or close to it anyway.
  • phieaglefan
    Options
    Oh, and I'm definitely not a dessert person. If I were to splurge, it would be on a piece of real bread (which I just realized I haven't had since February), an extra glass of wine, or a few bites of pasta.

Thanks again. I think as much as anything, I wanted to feel like I was going into tonight with some backup.

You guys are awesome!! :wink:
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Order what you want but consciously eat slowly. I usually skip a salad (a side one can be up to 300 or 400 calories at a restaurant) so I can enjoy more of my meal, I also drink a lot of water before I eat. Since it is a celebration, maybe drink champagne which is generally less calories than wine per oz.
  • phieaglefan
    Options
    Well I just had to come back and report on the meal. I was so mad. I had salad and Chicken Parmesan with Pasta. Well the salad was really salty, so I didn't eat too much of it. Then the meal came, and the chicken was really salty as well. I ate one bite of the pasta and some of the chicken. Oh, and I had a 1/2 inch square piece of fried mozzarella. The fried cheese, all 1/2 inch of it, was the best tasting stuff I had all evening. I was so disappointed.

I did wonder though if I was more sensitive to the saltiness of the food since I haven't been eating very many processed foods, or when they are processed, many are low sodium.

Good news is, while I certainly didn't lose weight yesterday, I doubt I gained much! Although I might have some serious water retention from all that salt!!!

Thanks again for everyone's kind and helpful responses.