How can I excerise with knee pain? Turbo Fire...ugh!

Options
I'm really frustrated. I've never had knee issues until I did a round of Turbo Fire a few months ago. I think all the kick boxing and twists/lunges on my carpet just messed it up. So, I stopped TF and joined the YMCA and started running again. Last Sunday I was doing sprints on a treadmill (which I usually don't do) and the pain came back! I'm so bummed bc I'm supposed to run my first real 5k on Mother's Day. Now I feel like I don't have any exercise that doesn't bother it! I need to get my heart rate up, but how is that possible when your knee hurts?

I was so bummed that I ate a big old bowl of Birthday Cake ice cream last night and had a little pity party.

What kind of exercises can I do? I'm not a great swimmer.

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    are you taking any med's? I take healthy store pill for joints and kilp oil (fish oil) they help me

if you can run go see the doc

do some free weights for upper body and core work

if you can walk start off with 10 or so mins and built up I would walk at slow pace, and on the flat

hope this helps

anyone can add me
  • 27jynx11
    27jynx11 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have problems with the cartilage in my left knee, I have had every type of medicine from the Doctors and even physio nothing has worked un-till I started taking glucosamine and chondroitin supplements. The pain is so much better. an I have been able to keep up doing the things I enjoy, running, walking, cycling etc. Cycling is great as it's a low impact activity for your joints
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm going to Whole Foods this morning and I'm going to pick up the supplements mentioned. I'll try anything! I already take an Omega 3 supplement.

Cycling is a good idea too! I never really thought of it as easy on the knees, but it sure has to be better then running on the treadmill. Walking doesn't really get my HR up and bothers my knee right now. I'm going to rest until Sunday and hope my knee feels better for my run.

It's an ache right above my right knee cap, which I believe is some type of tendonitis thingy.
  • silly122
    silly122 Posts: 4
    Options
    Sounds like you need to rest it and then start back slowly. It might help to do a combination of jogging/fast walking for your 5k to prevent further injury. Cycling can be easier on your knees but you need to make sure your bike is adjusted properly. I had major pain in my knee while cycling until I took it into the bike shop and had it adjusted to fit me. BTW, I had the same problem with Turbo Fire so now I follow the modified version for some of the moves that combine twists and kicks.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would also keep in mind that what supplements works for someone else may not work for you.

I have bad knees (most of the cartilage is damaged behind my knee caps and my knee caps are deformed). The only things that really work for me is Tylenol for inflammation/help kill some of the pain, knee braces, & I use hot compresses. Otherwise i normally suffer through the pain.

I would visit your doctor if I were you if the problem persists to make sure you didn't damage anything
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Icy hot got me through smolov squat program.

With that being said, my knee issues come from lack of mobility in the hips. Stretches and specific exercises have really helped this, plus seeing a physiotherapist.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues, too.

To continue running - I suggest going to a specialty running store and have them analyze the way you run and get the best shoes for you. Also, try rhythmic breathing, breathe in for 3 steps and out for 2. This not only increases your oxygen level but it also begins your exhale (the most jarring part of a run) on alternating legs instead of one leg taking all the pressure the whole time. It also helps with shin splints and side stitches.

I suggest looking up some exercises to strengthen your knees. One the days that I don't run, I do the exercises my physical therapist had me do a few years ago. Start out with a warmup on the exercise bike, do some leg curls and extensions on the circuit machines, lunges, step ups and downs, etc.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch before and afterwards? I know when I did insanity I would skip over them and my knees began hurting and then I started doing the stretches and it relieved the pain a bit. I took a week off from insanity because the pain was bad and would hurt just climbing the stairs. The week off helped and as I got back into insanity and made sure I did everything in proper form along with stretching the pain hasn't come back.
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    Wow. So much good info here! Thank you All so much!
  • catholiclorimom
    catholiclorimom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Get a knee brace/tape it up. Do not work thru the pain--you probably tore something which will need to heal and will only be aggravated by further strain. Do what your dr suggests: ice/ibruprophen/elevation. If you do not comply you risk an even longer recovery. Swimming (even water exercises) is the best as you know. Since even biking hurt my knees I have found chair exercises and pilates to be very helpful in keeping fit. Also using a yoga mat in your bare feet keeps you from sliding and that anchoring prevents accidental strain on the knees. Keep thinking of what you can do and focus on that. Good luck!:wink:
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    There's a Pilates class at my gym, but I had no idea if that was low impact and easy on the knees! Maybe I should try that out!