What is a good ab workout

Bolton84
Bolton84 Posts: 76 Member
I am having a wedding ceremony with my wife on oct 12 and I have already lost 15 lbs and want to lose 5 more to hit my target weight. However, I am not seeing any progress with muscle definition. I was wondering if anyone here had any success with a certain workout. Thanks.

Replies

• kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    i just started p90x-'ab ripper'. it's the only part of p90x i do. maybe if you could track down a bootleg, save a few $. 15-minutes and i feel it everytime
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Muscle definition comes when body fat % is low enough to expose muscle. Lift heavy (doesn't much matter what you do as long as it's heavy, but compound lifts will give you the most bang for your lifting dollar), get enough protein, stay in a modest calorie deficit and be patient.

But more specifically to your questions... deadlifts and single-leg deadlifts are the best ab exercises I've ever done.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    P90X Ab Ripper is good! There's versions of it on YouTube if you search for it :)

Ax
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Muscle definition comes when body fat % is low enough to expose muscle. Lift heavy (doesn't much matter what you do as long as it's heavy, but compound lifts will give you the most bang for your lifting dollar), get enough protein, stay in a modest calorie deficit and be patient.

But more specifically to your questions... deadlifts and single-leg deadlifts are the best ab exercises I've ever done.

I agree with this!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member

^^^THIS. I have never felt my abs work harder than when I'm deadlifting. And pretty much every other muscle in my body except my arms. I thought my upper left pec was going to explode during this morning's final set.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member

I agree with this!

Totally agree.

My abs came in immediately after I started deadlifting.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    I've been doing every type of crunch imaginable.

I can't believe how much I feel it in my abs since I started lifting heavier.

Didn't think one would have an effect on the other.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Beer curls are fabulous for the abs......

Seriously....its about overall muscle growth and DIET. 90% of it being your Diet.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member

I agree with this!

Totally agree.

My abs came in immediately after I started deadlifting.

Yep!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member

abs are also made by a great plastic surgeon....
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Just buy one of these:

Fake-6-Pack-Abs-T-Shirt.jpg
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    The_Angry_Fish_Guy Posts: 40 Member

What he said.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Tricep_A_Tops Posts: 319
    Abs are not made in the kitchen, if that was the case every thin person you know would have a 6-pack. Abs are made in the gym. As far as the question, weighted ab exercises are the key, they will work far better than any exercise that you are only using your body weight as resistance.
  • mike_littlerock
    Abs are not made in the kitchen, if that was the case every thin person you know would have a 6-pack. Abs are made in the gym. As far as the question, weighted ab exercises are the key, they will work far better than any exercise that you are only using your body weight as resistance.
    absolutely disagree.. every person I know would NOT have abs (and they dont) because they do NOT have the eating habits required to get their body fat low enough. I dont care how many crunches you do, or squats, etc.. if you carry too much body fat, you will not have visable abs (btw. i do agree that compound exercises like squatting, deadlifts and Oly lifting are GREAT for working the core)
    BTW. THIN does not necessarily equate to LEAN. there are quite thin people that actually have high body fat percentages and little muscle mass.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    absolutely disagree.. every person I know would NOT have abs (and they dont) because they does NOT have the eating habits required to get their body fat low enough. I dont care how many crunches you do, or squats, etc.. if you carry too much body fat, you will not have visable abs (btw. i do agree that compound exercises like squatting, deadlifts and Oly lifting are GREAT for working the core)
    BTW. THIN does not necessarily equate to LEAN. there are quite thin people that actually have high body fat percentages and little muscle mass.
    LMAO! The majority of our population do not have the genetics (including myself) to have a 6 -pack regardless of how thin they get or how low their BF. % becomes from eating clean in the kitchen. You cannot expose what isnt there. If I didnt do weighted ab exercises. pull ups and chin ups etc. during my weight loss I would not have visible abs even though I got down to 8% BF. ( not that you need to get that low to have visable abs) I did not have visible abs at 18-25 years old and neither did most of my friends who were in the best shape of my/their lives and had very low BF %. Because we didn not have the genetics to have 6-packs and did little to none activities to build our abs. Now please tell me what foods I can eat in the kitchen that willl cause my abs to grow?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Dragon Flags and dragon flags held for time (body levers) are the hardest ab exercises out there.

If you get crazy strong you can get especially sadistic and do them with ankle weights.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Planks are great for abs, bicycles for those nice money makers, and leg raises are all the ones I do.
  • mike_littlerock
    absolutely disagree.. every person I know would NOT have abs (and they dont) because they do NOT have the eating habits required to get their body fat low enough. I dont care how many crunches you do, or squats, etc.. if you carry too much body fat, you will not have visable abs (btw. i do agree that compound exercises like squatting, deadlifts and Oly lifting are GREAT for working the core)
    LMAO! The majority of our population do not have the genetics (including myself) to have a 6 -pack regardless of how thin they get or how low their BF. % becomes from eating clean in the kitchen. You cannot expose what isnt there. If I didnt do weighted ab exercises. pull ups and chin ups etc. during my weight loss I would not have visible abs even though I got down to 8% BF. ( not that you need to get that low to have visable abs) I did not have visible abs at 18-25 years old and neither did most of my friends who were in the best shape of my/their lives and had very low BF %. Because we didn not have the genetics to have 6-packs and did little to none activities to build our abs. Now please tell me what foods I can eat in the kitchen that willl cause my abs to grow?
    so you are saying that if a fat guy does weighted ab exercises that he will have a six pack? Just kidding of course, I don't seriously think anyone here is ignorant enough to believe that statement.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    so you are saying that if a fat guy does weighted ab exercises that he will have a six pack? Just kidding of course, I don't seriously think anyone here is ignorant enough to believe that statement.
    UGH!! Let me explain it too you like this, Between 18 and 25 years old I was in great shape because all I did was play sports, especially basketball, and had very little BF. infact I could eat and drink whatever I wanted too ( man I miss those days) I weighed around 180 lbs with a 30 inch waist but never had any visiable abs. Then as I got older, I gained alot of weight, at 41 years of age I started exercising and eating clean, drank a total of 12 beers over the 13 months it took me to lose 83 lbs and for the first time in my life had a 6-pack. But not because the kitchen built my abs but because the gym built them. Like most people, genetics did not bless with me with visible abs, so no matter how clean I ate in the kitchen while cutting down to 8 % bf I would not have a 6 pack today if I did not do weighted ab exercises, pullups and chinups etc. There are so few people that their abs are naturally developed enough to have a 6 -pack without working them. regardless of how thin they are, how low their BF % is or how clean they eat in the kitchen. You cant uncover something that isnt there to begin with, regardless of how clean you eat in the kitchen.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    UGH!! Let me explain it too you like this, Between 18 and 25 years old I was in great shape because all I did was play sports, especially basketball, and had very little BF. infact I could eat and drink whatever I wanted too ( man I miss those days) I weighed around 180 lbs with a 30 inch waist but never had any visiable abs. Then as I got older, I gained alot of weight, at 41 years of age I started exercising and eating clean, drank a total of 12 beers over the 13 months it took me to lose 83 lbs and for the first time in my life had a 6-pack. But not because the kitchen built my abs but because the gym built them. Like most people, genetics did not bless with me with visible abs, so no matter how clean I ate in the kitchen while cutting down to 8 % bf I would not have a 6 pack today if I did not do weighted ab exercises, pullups and chinups etc. There are so few people that their abs naturally developed enough to have a 6 -pack without working them. regardless of how thin they are how low their BF % is or how clean they eat in the kitchen. You cant uncover something that isnt there to begin with, regardless of how clean you eat in the kitchen.

Whatever you guys do, make sure you don't give in AT ALL.

Jesus...

It's both. You have to be lean enough to expose the ab muscles (the kitchen part of the argument), but you also have to have abs that are developed enough to be exposed (the gym side of things).

God, I hope I'm just missing the sarcasm or something...
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    I kinda seriously doubt most of us are going to get to dragon flags, and would hurt ourselves trying it. ;^)

Leg lifts, crunches, bicycles, russian twist will get you most of the way there. Don't get too crazy if you're just starting out.