Help! Shin Splints

Options
Fit4Vet
Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
I just started running. I've been at it every other day for about 2 weeks (maybe a little more). I started at a mile...was doing fine & then my shoe tore up. I ran in another pair & got terrible shin splints - my pinky toes even went numb - ran 2.25 miles that day doing intervals. Yes, in retrospect, I know that you don't run longer nor harder in a new pair of shoes, but I did it & I got shin splints. Then I got an awesome new pair of shoes...ran the 1st mile in them at almost 1.5 minutes less my best speed. Felt like I was flying! :love:

Yesterday, I ran 2.2 in my great new shoes & now I have shin splints again & numb pinky toes. The shin splints are still bothering me today from my run yesterday. Pinky toes are not numb today.

So, runners, please help! My questions are:
Is it because I ran in the wrong shoes that one day?
Do I need to rest my legs from that?
Are my gains too much? (I am now full aware of the 10% rule whereas I was not before I took off on the 2.25 mile trek)
Do I need to rest my legs from the longer run (yes I know that's laughable, but for me 2.25 miles is a long run)?
How much & what can my legs handle without making the shin splints worse?
How long is this going to last?
How should my run schedule proceed?
I really am a little scared because in doing a shin splints search I came across all this about compartment syndrome & stress fractures! Dear Lord, I thought running was good for me! And I do sooo :heart: it!
Any & all advice welcome. I'm at a loss!

Replies

• Izzys_mom
    Izzys_mom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is what my Dr told me. Make sure you stretch your legs before you run. If you get one while running try doing lunges leaning on a pole if you can find one. Shin splints suck, I have been dealing with them since my early teens. Hope this helps.
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Following the 10 percent rule from now on will help. Bad shoes make up for most running pain but sounds like you cleared that up. To stretch before hand, lay on your back and put your foot/leg straight up in the air. Have someone rotate your foot around and stretching it as you go. If you don't have a partner, try to do it by keeping your toe on the ground and moving your leg around to stretch different parts. After your run, elevate and ice. Even if your not in pain, it's always a good idea to ice after for ten minutes on ten minutes off and repeat. When you can, try to run on softer surfaces like grass or a treadmill. THe hard ground is also a big factor in splints. Rest is also key to healing splints. For now, I would only do a long run once a week until your legs build up strength. Good luck :)
  • Becky_Boop
    Becky_Boop Posts: 96
    Options
    I have heard something about laying on your back with your leg held up in the air and writing your name/the alphabet with your foot helps the pain. Not sure how true it is because I'm more of a cyclist/walker than a runner, but It could help you being able to get up and running again sooner!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have a cure for shin splints. .. and I do believe you got them from your terrible runners, and never healed them, and kept running, so you'll still get them

Sitting on a couch, or desk, point your toes out and write the alphabet with both feet. Do this three times a day, in a day or two they'll be much better!

promise!
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Are your feet flat, or high arched? If they are flat or super high you could need some orthotics (like SuperFeet). It also seems like you're upping your miles and your speed very quickly. Slow and steady wins that race.

To deal with your shin splints now, take a dixie cup (or some other paper/styrofoam cup) fill it half way with water, stick it in the freezer. When it is frozen, tear away the paper, and rub it on your shins. It will hurt like nobodys business, but it will really help. 6-8 minutes a leg. Everyday. Don't be afraid to push on your shins, like a massage.

Good luck.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Ice helps... and rest. I used to get them too... terrible pain. Then an avid runner told me ice, ibuprofen and stretching would help and by-golly, it does!

Good luck and never give up!
    :flowerforyou:
    Angela
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    It might be time to find another aerobic activity until your shins heal. I use the elliptical if my shins start hurting too much, but I haven't had any shin splints this year. My aerobic activities consist of running, Step Aerobics, running on the treadmill, and the elliptical trainer. By doing a variety of aerobic activities throughout the week, it puts less stress on my shins.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I do these 2 exercises after I put my sneakers on, before I open the door to go run and they've greatly reduced my shin splints.

Stand with your feet spread parallel - maybe 5 or 6 inches apart. Put your hands on your hips and lift up onto your toes and lower back down. Do 10 reps.

Stand with your feet turned into a "V" with toes almost touching but heels not too far apart. Put your hands on your hips and lift up onto your toes and lower back down. Do 10 reps.
  • steph_armstrong
    Options
    Your shoes could have played a role in your shin splints if they were too old, too tight, or not enough arch support.

This is what my co-workers (physical therapists) had me do when I had my shin splints.

You can ice your shins for no more than 20 mins and rest your legs for at least a week. You can get a massage therapist to release your muscles in your shin (deep tissue works best for this, but tends to hurt some) which would help. Without proper care and rest shin splints can last any where from a week to 6 weeks. If your pain lasts longer or are in a lot of pain be sure to see your doctor immediately (it could mean its more serious).

Do plyometric (I think that is how it's spelled) exercises (like walking front kick, lunges, elbow lunges (take same elbow and place on the inside of your bent leg), butt kicks, side squats (both sides)) before you run to losen up those muscles. Do your main stretching after you run that way your muscles have more stamina.

You can do low impact cardio (walking w/or w/out incline or the eliptical)that won't hurt your legs while you are resting your legs from running. Stop at the slightest pain or discomfort.

I know it stinks, but you need to rest and recover from your shin splints. Once you can run again (w/out pain) make sure you are running correctly. Your feet should be making a complete circle under your body and landing on your heels under your body. Arms should be relaxed and swinging beside you not across your body.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to email me.
  • stringcheeze
    stringcheeze Posts: 286
    Options
    To help support your lower leg till you get it healed up (and even while you run after you do) you can wrap/tape your shins. A lifetime ago, I used to run on a cross country team and got horrific shin splints. Taping was the only way I could get relief. Google it, and you'll find all sorts of sites out there to guide you on how to tape.

If you have flat feet or tight calf muscles, you're really prone to them, so I completely agree with the folks who mentioned stretching your calves well before doing any jogging.
  • anti
    anti Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to know there's a name for this; I thought it was just me and my wee chicken legs! I can only jog 1km before this starts happening. It's always put me right off jogging, even though we've got a fantastic park right next to us . It's great that I can now look up some stretches to prevent it, and look up this 10% rule you're talking about.

Thanks for identifying this problem for me.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I was going to post this as well. My shins feel like they are going to crack!:frown: I am only starting to do very short bursts of jogging mixed in the walking and they still feel like that.

A also have the pinky toe going numb.

Maybe I should try new shoes?
  • Fit4Vet
    Options
    You guys rock!~ Thanks for your replies. I'm really worried over here & your quick responses really helped. :drinker:

I usually do try to do some light stretches before hand & a 5 min easy warm up but maybe I'm too eager with that. I also do a 20 min Yoga session every morning.

I'll try all your suggestions.

And to those that are also having this problem, at least we know what we are dealing with now. Mine are anterior instead of medial (sp?) - did a search to find out.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Hey Vet!

When I was just getting back into running earlier this year I looked into Chi Running & found it to be a fantastic tool/method for injury free running. I used to always get shin splints & after reading Chi Running, I realized I was a "heel striker" & that was the cause of shin splints for me. I used the Chi Running suggestions & never had them again (one of which to move your feet like you do when you pedal a bike). Anyway, if heel striking isn't your cause another big cause is pushing off with your toes.

Heel striking & pushing off w/toes are the 2 most common causes, but also the surface on which you run can also be a culprit...excessive downhill running, unstable surfaces (ice, snow, gravel...), sloping surfaces, treadmills, etc....And of course, your shoes if they are old &/or don't provide enough support.

Hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • Fit4Vet
    Options
    I have a cure for shin splints. .. and I do believe you got them from your terrible runners, and never healed them, and kept running, so you'll still get them

Sitting on a couch, or desk, point your toes out and write the alphabet with both feet. Do this three times a day, in a day or two they'll be much better!

promise!

OMG! This helped immediately! Thanks for that.
  • Fit4Vet
    Options
    Hey Vet!

When I was just getting back into running earlier this year I looked into Chi Running & found it to be a fantastic tool/method for injury free running. I used to always get shin splints & after reading Chi Running, I realized I was a "heel striker" & that was the cause of shin splints for me. I used the Chi Running suggestions & never had them again (one of which to move your feet like you do when you pedal a bike). Anyway, if heel striking isn't your cause another big cause is pushing off with your toes.

Heel striking & pushing off w/toes are the 2 most common causes, but also the surface on which you run can also be a culprit...excessive downhill running, unstable surfaces (ice, snow, gravel...), sloping surfaces, treadmills, etc....And of course, your shoes if they are old &/or don't provide enough support.

Hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:

Thanks Kara! I can't wait to get back out there, but I know I have to give myself time to heal up. I'll definitely look into the Chi Running. I think I am a normal to high arch w/ normal pronation (not that I totally understand that), but that's what I bought my shoes on. But, I really don't know if I'm a toe or heel striker. I'll have to figure that out! :smile:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    What's Chi Running? I'm seriously considering taking up running after the move (and Insanity).