Jump Rope

Options
Just wondering what your take on the value of jumping rope is. I walked into my school's gym yesterday and the kids were jumping rope, so I hopped in with them and thought, "Hmm, this could be a great workout!"

Thoughts? What does it work in the body?!

Happy Friday!

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It is a great workout. Nice cardio burn. All kinds of stabilizing muscles in the legs and hips.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    It's a fantastic workout! Boxers use it as a critical part of their training for cardio and footwork. It can be amazing. There are even workout routines and DVDs you can buy. Plus, its just fun!
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's great cardio and it tones up your calfs!
  • dellis83
    dellis83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's an amazing workout just by itself, but then you can add in all kinds of different drills/exercises like double unders for even more challenge/benefits.
  • Elizabeth33c
    Elizabeth33c Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi - Back in the day I got into a 30 minute jump rope routine and felt and looked amazing! While you are burning fat from the intense cardio workout you are also building muscle in your leg and toning your arms in a very surprising way. Those tiny wrist turns will tone your arms unbelievably!!! Get yourself some fun, upbeat music and get out there. Work your way up to 30 minutes and you will have such an amazing increase in energy as well as look extremely fit. If I hadn't had 4 children and my bladder was what it use to be I'd be jumping still! Good luck!!!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I love it! My husband has his members do it a lot in CrossFit. I use it to warm up before a run, too. It's tough but fun!
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I love it, we do it as a station in circuits they only thing I don't like about it is it bloody stings when you whip your own *kitten* ????
  • AlohaKeAkua
    AlohaKeAkua Posts: 92
    Options
    Wow guys, thanks! I think it's time to get myself a jump rope!!
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    I've just started to jump rope and compared to plyo and HIIT, I'd say it's just as hard or harder. If you like it, it's a very good workout.
  • dellis83
    dellis83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow guys, thanks! I think it's time to get myself a jump rope!!

If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend an RX jump rope. You can customize it for your height and skill level. I just got mine a few weeks ago and it makes a HUGE difference. It will be in the $40-50 range after shipping and everything, but it's totally worth it in my opinion.
  • GroverBlue78
    GroverBlue78 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love jumping rope, its high intensity and you get a great work in a short period of time. Tie in some resistant band exercises, situps, sqauts, etc and you have your own little circuit.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I use it to warm up before lifting :)
  • samiam6603
    samiam6603 Posts: 27
    Options
    Holy cow. Just jumped rope for the first time in probably 15 years yesterday. My calves are KILLING me. Good workout but ouch! Going to continue adding it to my normal routine.