Feeling attacked by family - switching to vegan

Options
2»

Replies

• shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It is sad they won't support you initially but you can prove them wrong. Some people don't understand being vegan, however you can prove that it does work and change their minds. I had an ex who wasn't very supportive but my family were fine. I would occasionally get mocked but they did it in jest and there was always something for me to eat. I mainly went vegan because of food allergies so I had more support. I recently gave up gluten and it I haven't had any problems with my family, in fact I have been influencing my sister and her husband to eat more vegan.

There is so much food out there that you can't possibly lose a drastic amount of weight unless you have been eating bad foods. The easiest meals are made from fruit/veg/legumes.

Good luck on your two months of veganism and I hope you continue with it.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i went vegan well most of the time i do have cheese very rarely as my reason for going vegan was health reasons my son and husband are on a vegan diet two the problem i have is when my mum trys to give my hubby meat when im not around i dont care if he eats it but the fact she does it behind my back and is always saying to me let him eat meat drives me crazy! im not forcing him to eat like me he chooses too
  • katescountdown
    katescountdown Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just do as you planned, with a smile on your face, succeed and prove them wrong. You cant change how people (even family) react to you, but you can show them how strong and determined you are and that you know what is right for you.
  • Ravepixie87
    Ravepixie87 Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm going to be honest with you- I had an ex-boyfriend who's entire family were gluten-free vegans except him (vegetarian) and his dad (omnivore).

Not only was his sister one of the most boring people imaginable, because she had absolutely nothing to talk about except being vegan, but they were some of the unhealthiest people I have ever known. The sister was terribly under weight (possibly the criticism for this is why she felt she had to constantly tell everyone how great she felt and how great it is to be vegan).
    There was an event where their whole family could eat only one thing- chips/fries. The whole family sat there and gorged on traditionally made, deep-fat fried chips because there was nothing else.

These things are what your family is worried about. Being a healthy vegan is extremely hard work (both diet-wise and not becoming the kind of person who has nothing to say apart form "hello, I'm vegan"). Best of luck with it.

What an idiot reply, so you know one person who is a vegan and id boring and underweight and your using that as an argument to not do it?

I know plenty of meat eaters who are underweight and boring, so does that mean everyone that people should eat meat either?

You can be perfectly healthy while being a vegan, the same as you can be perfectly healthy eating meat or whatever, it just takes a little forethought is all.

Lots of people have this idea that veganism is unhealthy, but im sure when your family see that you arent wasting away or whatever they will stop harassing you. I know a few vegan bodybuilders so its deffinately possible to gain muscle on a vegan diet! Good luck x
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying this out! One way to respond to this type of behaviour from your family is to do your research so that you're prepared with answers when they ask how you'll get protein, etc. You'll also want to do research for yourself. I was vegan for about a year (it was not for me - I got really sick (not from a plant based diet, but my immune system was compromised), discovered that I have a soy allergy, and my body just wasn't healing - I went back to eating meat periodically and now I eat fish and eggs on a regular basis) and the best cook book I bought was Let Them Eat Vegan. So many people who choose to eat vegan load up on simple carbs and tofu products as meat replacements. This book does not rely on soy at all, and for me that was really important.

Two important things to remember: 1) Do not make your diet (whether vegan, vegetarian, omnivore, etc.) your identity. Otherwise you will feel attacked any time someone comments on it. And there will always be small minded people who do not understand dietary choices. 2) Do what FEELS RIGHT for you. If you feel good eating a plant based diet, that is amazing and continue doing it. Many people thrive on a vegan diet. It's not necessarily for everyone, but it could be an important step in figuring out what is right for you.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize with you because I don't like veggies so I always have to tell people who invite us over that I'm a picky eater because I don't want to hurt their feelings when they go through the trouble of making a nice meal and I won't eat half of it. I like raw veggies and few cooked ones so it has been a life long thing for me. After a while they will get used to it so do what makes you happy.
  • anniegail1961
    anniegail1961 Posts: 116
    Options
    Hi: There is an old saying "You can pick your friends-but you can't pick your family'
    For whatever reason we take their approval or disapproval so personally.
    Do what you want!
    But own it !! - No excuses for them to criticise you!
    Setting an example is much more convincing then just lip service!
    Best Regards!
    Annie
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    most people hear 'vegan' and think 'nibbling on lettuce'. it's never been that way, and in 2013 it's not even close. do your research, and you'll be more than fine.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Just be strong in your reasons...be aware that dairy and eggs are hidden in many foods. Many people find the transition easier if they go vegetarian first. Just tell people that you don't really care much for meat and want to see how you feel cutting it out for awhile. Just be honest but be aware anytime you have a headache or get sick someone will blame it on your diet. Get some books on veganism and read up, it can be done, but must be well planned. There are also many vegan and vegetarian weight lifters so that's proof that weight lifting can be done. Look some up to give as examples or famous athletes.
  • momthenurse
    momthenurse Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a strict vegan. I have been "attacked" in the past for allowing it. It's usually by people who have not done their research. I'm proud of my daughter's dedication. She is 20 years old and has been vegan since she was 16. She started out as a vegetarian at 14. She did all this on her own. She has taught me so much.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest with you- I had an ex-boyfriend who's entire family were gluten-free vegans except him (vegetarian) and his dad (omnivore).

Not only was his sister one of the most boring people imaginable, because she had absolutely nothing to talk about except being vegan, but they were some of the unhealthiest people I have ever known. The sister was terribly under weight (possibly the criticism for this is why she felt she had to constantly tell everyone how great she felt and how great it is to be vegan).
    There was an event where their whole family could eat only one thing- chips/fries. The whole family sat there and gorged on traditionally made, deep-fat fried chips because there was nothing else.

These things are what your family is worried about. Being a healthy vegan is extremely hard work (both diet-wise and not becoming the kind of person who has nothing to say apart form "hello, I'm vegan"). Best of luck with it.

What an idiot reply, so you know one person who is a vegan and id boring and underweight and your using that as an argument to not do it?

I know plenty of meat eaters who are underweight and boring, so does that mean everyone that people should eat meat either?

You can be perfectly healthy while being a vegan, the same as you can be perfectly healthy eating meat or whatever, it just takes a little forethought is all.

Lots of people have this idea that veganism is unhealthy, but im sure when your family see that you arent wasting away or whatever they will stop harassing you. I know a few vegan bodybuilders so its deffinately possible to gain muscle on a vegan diet! Good luck x

Pretty sure they were referring to the fact that the family was a) evangivegans, and b) binged on crap when such an opportunity presented itself and that is what the OP's family is probably afraid of. Coming from the outside, especially if the vegans you know are "soy thumpers" (as one person put it), finding out that a family member wants to go down what you perceive to be the same path is going to be off-putting. The issue here is not being vegan, but having your entire world revolve around you being vegan.

To the OP - it's not just a vegan thing. People will often attack others for making healthy choices, and the farther removed one's diet is from the rest of the family, the stronger a reaction you'll likely get. I faced the same thing from my husband's family when I told them I was going Primal/Paleo. I even got some snide comments from his grandmother, the person I least expected! They've eventually gotten over the initial novelty and just accept that I won't be eating the bread or other grain-based foods. My mother-in-law has even started taking my dietary choices into consideration when we're visiting. It just takes a little time and patience.

Give it some time, don't pick fights (and don't continue ones if they try to pick them), but answer their honest questions, and they'll eventually get over the novelty. It might also help if you offer to cook some meals, or parts of meals. That way, you know there'll be food you can eat, and you can start exposing them to some good vegan dishes. :)