New? Or Struggling? This might help...

Options
This morning I posted a question to all my MFP friends… “Tell me, what are some changes that you have made on the 'road to a better life' that sometimes SHOCK you when you think of how it used to be??? Exercise, food, attitude... ANY story you wish to share…go for it!”

The responses were great! I have compiled a list of them and put them all in here with the hope of inspiring others to keep at it!

We all started out thinking this was going to be awful forever. We would always hate working out, always hate portion control, always feel like it was a struggle… and yet, here we are (all at different places in our journeys) finding that that is not the case at all! There is hope for all of us to be healthier, happier people.

Feel free to add your changes in the comments for others to read… we are all AWESOME.

Looking back at the amount of food that was eaten in the past and how half that portion size now feels satisfying and acceptable. In the past the half portion looked like something one would feed a small child, but the realization hit that NORMAL people really do eat like this and are not STARVING.

Exercise has become a priority, whereas before it wasn’t even thought of as an option! A few stated that they couldn’t believe how EASY it has become to get up in the morning and GO FOR IT! Exercising has become something that is looked forward to, not dreaded and some expressed how they were actually angry at the thought of missing a workout! Some stated how it seems RELAXING to have that time for themselves, and how it doesn’t always feel like a chore anymore as much as something they CHOOSE to do.

Less aches and pains! The aches and pains that come now for many is the ‘soreness’ that is associated with a great workout! One in particular talked of how she now STRIVES for that soreness and embraces it because she knows that she has done something GREAT for herself.

Many stated that they were surprised when looking back at how many EXCUSES they made to stay the way they were. They would tell themselves things that made sense at the time, but after creating this new and wonderful life for themselves they realized that all the “no time”, “no money”, “no one to call partner” stuff were just ways to put off a better life…to excuse it away.

The shock of the amount of knowledge that they have acquired about food in general has left some in awe. It has become automatic to look at nutrition labels, sugars, fats, fiber…all of it are just things that have great importance to them. And knowing that they now have the ability to make healthier choices unconsciously… choosing the fruit over the cake isn’t the most difficult decision of the night. If it fits in your plan ok, if it doesn’t maybe it will tomorrow ;)

Realizing there is life after soda/junk food. Some (not all) have found that it was easier than they ever thought to give up certain foods that were causing them ‘harm’ in their quest for a healthier life. People who drank excessive amounts of soda or ate far too much junk food find that after all this time they don’t even miss it. (Not advocating giving anything up…just pointing out that many have learned that a glass of water over a soda is not as outlandish of a thought as you might think!)

Many never thought about how wonderful it is to give yourself goals and meet and surpass those goals! To realize that you CAN push your body to stages that you never thought possible. Giving yourself a sense of pride and accomplishment is one of the best feelings in the world… knowing that YOU ARE WORTH IT.

Another posted about how she didn’t believe how she had been able to stick with MFP, day in and day out for months… (And for some even YEARS) Having a place to go where people UNDERSTAND your trials and victories, where you can ask questions, give advice, where all of these people somehow GET IT makes it easy to stay on track for sure.

Getting off medications, breathing easier and overall health changes were among some of the more popular answers as well.
And many also stated that it was “The whole experience” that has changed their lives.

No matter what happens please know that there is SOMEONE right here on MFP that has some understanding of what you are going through… All of the comments that were made were by people that have had success, and continue to have success at a better life. They KNOW what they are talking about.

Stick to the plan of reaching your goals.
It may not always be easy, but the changes that await you are sooo worth it.
:heart:

Replies

• sylwheat
    sylwheat Posts: 125
    Options
    Well said girl, as usual! You nailed it......AWESOMENESSSSSS !!
  • angienbrian
    angienbrian Posts: 10
    Options
    I LOVE IT :flowerforyou:
  • macjenkins
    macjenkins Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sounds great to me friend! Thanks for taking the time to do this and for sharing with the rest of MFP.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • porterca
    porterca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Awesome list Amber! Love that you thought of doing this!!!

What a way to give us fresh motivation!!!! :happy:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    :D I'm so proud to have you on my friends list!! Amazing list; I hope many new users or just people having a tough time committing to a new lifestyle will see this post! <3
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this!
  • margieo1983
    margieo1983 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is really awesome. Thanks for composing all the answers.
  • joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jedrai
    jedrai Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You are so right. I used to hate having to "walk the dog" and that is the main exercise I get, walking, because I have time issues and joint problems. Today, it was a gorgeous day, and the dog was tired after a long walk with my daughter, who loves to walk with him every chance she gets. So I decided to just go without him (he joined me anyway, not to be left out) and we walked for an hour and I loved it. I now actually really do love to walk, no matter what the time or weather. And I can put off junk food to a time it fits into my meal plan. Actually, I eat very little junk food anymore and don't miss it. And another achievement, I actually write everything down in MFP, even days I fall off the wagon like yesterday, and they are less frequent now. I write everything down I eat and feel good about it instead of feeling like a failure because writing everything down is a very important piece of success. The scale bounced UP today, like I knew it would. But this journey is two steps forward and one step back. So yes, I like my exercise, eat less junk food, have more energy, am honest with myself and IT IS GOOD!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    AWESOME GIRLIE!!!

I have to add one more thing...PROVING to others that I CAN do this!! There has to be that one DIG in there somewhere...eventhough it is WAYYYY low on the list! :-)

LOVE YA GIRLIE and keep being AWESOME!!!
  • aschn620
    aschn620 Posts: 26
    Options
    Wow, thanks for posting this. It definitely gives me a little more motivation. And right now I need it as you know I've been kind of stock with going back and forth with the same 5 pounds. You are always a great motivator and I'm very glad to have you as a friend here. :)
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    AWESOME GIRLIE!!!

I have to add one more thing...PROVING to others that I CAN do this!! There has to be that one DIG in there somewhere...eventhough it is WAYYYY low on the list! :-)

LOVE YA GIRLIE and keep being AWESOME!!!

FOR SURE!!! I'm all about the HEALTH, HAPPINESS, STRENGTH etc. etc. etc. BUT there is certainly something to be said for all the "OMG Look at YOU!" and such comments!!! Gotta have a few of those! :drinker:
  • YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    BUMP ALL TRUE!
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You are awesome as always!!
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you... This is so true on the front end, so I just hope to accomplish a healthy ending :tongue: I do love your accomplishments hope it is me in the future...