Bread help!

Options
Now I love bread...and I realise that I will never, ever be able to give it up.

I've been looking through the database and it hasn't helped at all. I'm looking for a bog standard loaf available in UK supermarkets that is a little better for me than my usual 120 calories/2g of sugar per slice.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love my bread and I love my potatoes more than rice.

But since starting this, I've had to ween off it little by little. I try not to eat too much bread. The odd slice here or there.
    I just eat either Tesco Organic wholemeal bread or Marks & Spencer Super seeded bread.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Look for sprouted wheat bread...less calories, more fiber, better for you. Can't help you with location as I'm in the US, but aside from making my own bread, that is one of my favorites. Oh...and sandwich thins, if you have them.
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I eat Allinson wholemeal bread which you can get in most supermarkets. It has around 100 calories and over 3g of fibre per slice. They also do a smaller 400g batch loaf which has smaller slices at 78 calories per slice which I use because it's quite filling without being too many calories. Tasty stuff!

But if you like white bread then I don't know because I'm not a great lover of white bread, I find it very sweet.

Good luck!
  • jennanostyle
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm not a huge fan of white bread, it's just what's always in the house so sometimes it seems easier to eat it than buy another loaf and throw most of it away. I'm open to options though.
  • IndyHannah
    IndyHannah Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use hovis original granary which is 92 cals per slice. Not sure on other nutritional info but I like it!! :-)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I LOVE bread too! I have found wonderful bread with minimal ingredients - no fat, sugar or preservatives at my local Farmers Market. My favorites are the whole wheat cinnamon raisin, pretzel bread in little knots and a wonderful Kalamata Olive sourdough! I package it up in smaller servings and freeze it all! If you do not have access to a Farmer's Market - perhaps a specialty bakery that specializes in healthy baking would have some choices. The supermarket bread is usually filled with preservatives, salt and sugar for a longer shelf life. If you love bread like I love bread - it is worth a little research!
  • suchgreatheights91
    Options
    Calise Deli Slims. 1 roll (2 Slices) has 100 cals, 20gcarbs, 2 g fat, 4g protein, 6g fiber. wicked good on any sandwich