Lupus and Weightloss! Help!

Options
I was just recently diagnosed with lupus, and I'm looking for others who have been as well. I've heard that meds can cause weight gain. What kinds of foods do you eat, and what types of exercises do you do to help combat this? I've lost 64lbs and still have around 70 to go to get my goal weight, and I don't want the meds to ruin that for me.

So I guess I'll put it this way:
1. What foods do you consume to help keep flare ups at bay, and what do you eat to help with inflammation during a flare?
2. What exercises have you found that are comfortable enough to do during a flare up, and is it ok to work out hard during times of remission?

Also...other helpful hints on how to make living with this disease are welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Nicole

Replies

• hif123
    hif123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any foods that make a difference for better or worse. Though I have seen research that alfalfa is bad.

I certainly put on a few pounds which in my case I believe were down to being less active (I could only walk slowly and rather painfully) rather than the meds. Exercise is good for lupus, but you need to protect your ligaments etc against damage. So low impact, and I'd avoid exercises where a lot of strain is placed on an affected joint e.g. pushups if your wrist is affected. Everyone is affected differently so you might need to see a physio to get specific advice.

It can be really hard to get motivated if you suffer a lot from fatigue, but even gentle exercise does improve how you feel. And it definitely is possible to lose weight, which in turn makes the disease easier to manage.
  • tsdaughe
    tsdaughe Posts: 88
    Options
    I haven't officially been diagnosed with lupus but I had a major "flare" in 2011 and am still in the diagnosis process. Right now I only take Mobic for joint pain/inflammation as needed. I am prescribed it everyday but noticed it did stall out weight loss and made me bloated if I took it everyday. When I was on sterioids I gained ALOT of weight which is why I am on here now. Look into the anti inflammatory lupus diet. It offers suggestions such as eating whole grains, vegetable proteins, omega 3 fatty acids etc. I find if I eat more clean with fruits and veggies I have less issues. But for me over doing it exercise wise and poor sleep and much bigger triggers.
  • tsdaughe
    tsdaughe Posts: 88
    Options
    Meant to add that when I was in a flare it was soo bad I honestly had no desire or ability to exercise. When I am having minor to moderate flares I try to stick with low impact strength training and walking. Otherwise, like right now I am doing the 30 DS. I just pay close attention to my body. If I wake up with swollen and throbbing hands and feet and exhausted I will try to take it easy, take my medication and wait and see how I feel before I work out.
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your weight loss.

As far as answers to your questions. I am currently on low dose steroids, which I'm hoping doesn't cause
    as much weight gain as the higher doses do. I'd love to not be on any, but have to be on it for now to control
    symptoms, also on plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine). I agree that everyone is affected differently, different organs
    etc. For instance, mine has affected my lungs the most, and now starting to affect the joints; but right now between
    improving my diet - lots of fruits, some jenny craig meals, and especially eliminating most sugars has really
    helped (of course the meds help too) - and I am feeling great right now.

The main exercise I do is the bike, yoga, and walking. I love all three. But I'm a firm believer in doing the workout
    that you enjoy because you'll be more likely to do it. I have to limit much in the way of strength training since it
    causes too much inflammation for me and sets me back.

As you learn to live with lupus, you'll find what your triggers are. With a bad flare, I'm not able to do much but as soon
    as I can I get back to exercising because it also helps so much with the negative thinking and depression.

Hope this helps.
  • nwon87
    nwon87 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been having flares for the past 10 years, and I'm experiencing the worst one to date. I literally just got the call a week ago with my diagnosis, so I have yet to see a rheumatologist. In trying to figure out what was wrong with me, I had a CAT scan done. Right now my kidneys, gallbladder and intestines are experiencing inflammation. I have had pleurisy several times in the past 10 years which my family doctor now thinks is due to the Lupus, and chest pain around my heart. I really can't wait to get more information as I'm clueless as to what is going on with me right now. I can relate to not wanting to do much during a flare. I've been in bed almost everyday for the past month. I have gone swimming a few times on days where I was feeling a bit better. That actually felt really good on my joints, but my body felt worse once I was out of the pool. And I have been trying to walk for at least 20 minutes, even if it's slow. I just can't help but feel lazy. I'm used to working out hard, so it's going to be an adjustment for me. Once again, thank you for the help.
  • hif123
    hif123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You've been through a really hard time by the sound of it. At least you've finally got a diagnosis so you're on the road to getting the right treatments put in place. And no, you're not being lazy - just go with what your body is telling you and don't be too hard on yourself.
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    So sorry that you're having such a bad flare. I agree that now that they know what they're fighting, they can get you on the right treatment. Maybe you can let yourself off the hook for on the days when you are just too ill to do anything; that's just part of the disease. I think that's one of the worst things, you're mind is saying you can exercise or do some other activity but your body says no you can't, or rebels against you later. It's not easy to find that balance.

You definitely need to be followed by a Rheumatologist, the sooner the better.
  • kfers01
    kfers01 Posts: 5
    Options
    With lupas you have to stay away from Uncooked Mushrooms, Raw Meats and Alfalfa Sprouts

Uncooked food grown in fertilizer, i.e. fecal matter, is risky for people who have weakened autoimmune systems. Thus, people with systemic lupus should avoid eating uncooked mushrooms in order to avoid toxoplasmosis.

Undercooked and raw meat dishes such as seared rare tuna, beef steak and uncooked seafood sushi are risky for those with a weakened immune system. Special precautions should be taken when handling raw meat to avoid toxoplasmosis, which can have dangerous consequences for the eyes and organs of someone with an immune system weakened by lupus. Consider asking family members to handle raw meat during food preparation and cleanup.

I was told to stay away from all meats and eat like a vegetarian (do not eat meat or fish: eat vegetables, fruits, grains, seeds. eggs and dairy products keep at minimum)

Foods to Reduce
    Lupus patients who are taking steroid medication as a course of treatment should decrease their salt and dietary fat intake to help prevent high blood pressure. In addition, lowering salt can decrease lupus-related fluid retention. Reducing animal proteins from both meat and dairy products can reduce stress on the kidneys. Limiting sugar intake can help prevent diabetes. Cutting down on nightshade vegetables, such as eggplant, peppers, white potatoes and tomatoes, may reduce inflammation and joint pain.

Foods to Increase
    Foods containing omega-3 fatty acids, such as flaxseed and fish, can help reduce inflammation, protect against heart disease and lower blood pressure. Increasing intake of pineapple, which contains bromelain, can reduce inflammation. Include eggs, garlic and onions in the diet; these foods contain sulfur and may be beneficial in rebuilding bone, connective tissue and cartilage. Eating more whole grains, fruits and vegetables can increase intake of vitamins, nutrients and fiber, which may help reduce the occurrence of active flares.

Foods to Avoid
    Alfalfa sprouts contain the amino acid canavain, which may contribute to lupus flares. Canavain may increase inflammation and activate the immune system, causing an increase in symptoms. Caffeine and tobacco should also be avoided

I hope this helpful!
  • nwon87
    nwon87 Posts: 29
    Options
    Very helpful, thank you!