Wonky Scale

Options
My bathroom scale is wonky. I will step on it, it finds a weight and blinks to let me know it has done so. Then I step off to let it reset. The 2nd-3rd-4th time I step on, the weight is a few pounds lighter than the first time. All the subsequent weights agree.

Do I track the lighter weight? :huh:

Replies

• lotusspark
    lotusspark Posts: 367
    Options
    I had this happen, I needed a new scale. If you've replaces bats and
    it keeps w/ conflicting readings, you have a scale w/dementia. :/
    I wouldn't trust it.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Ensure your scale is working properly. Replace the battery if you haven't lately. Clean the bottom of the scale. Dust, dirt, etc on the feet of the scale can change the reading. Ensure the scale is placed on a flat, hard, level floor. If my scale is on carpet it will weigh me at least 5 lbs less than I am. There are a lot of things that change the reading the scale gives. If you don't step on and stand on the scale the same way each time it may read a different weight. Make sure the scale is in a place where it isn't kicked, bumped, moved often.

My scale does sometimes read different weights if I step on it multiple times. I only step on mine once and record that weight each week.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    My scale always reads the same when I step off and step on again - unless it needs new batteries. Oh, and I got a new scale that came with "carpet feet" - so you can use it on carpet if you haven't got a hard floor to put your scales on. I tried them and found I weighed over 100 lbs less on carpet - even with the special feet! Takeaway point - always use your scales on a hard, even floor.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    my scale does this - i lightly step on it then step off wait for it to go back to 0. repeat then weight myself.
  • Hawk600us
    Hawk600us Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem and I scrapped the old scale and got a new one that is fairly accurate and not that expensive.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Touch-Digital-Bath-Scale/dp/B003N4AVKE
    In case you dont want to replace the scale I would weigh like 3 times and use the average as reference.
  • suezydereuzy
    suezydereuzy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My scale was very inconsistant - changed the batteries - same thing. I purchased a new scale at Target ($30) and now, it doesnt matter where I stand, or how many times I weigh myself, the number is consistant. BEWARE though - my old scale had me weighing 5 lbs less than the new one :(
  • womaniam
    womaniam Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my scale. I weigh the same way all the time. I will way myself the night before, wake up and I am 2lbs heavier I say good night of living, I didn't eat after I weighed myself; or lets say I weigh my self at 4am, I shower do all the necessities, weigh again at 6am I'm a pound heavier. I recently changed the batteries and all, but what really got me was I weigh in the nude all the time so I'm expecting a more accurate weight well I went to have my physical, and I weighed in at 3lbs less with clothes on. I am def getting a new scale.
  • CycleFlow
    CycleFlow Posts: 55
    Options
    100% buy a new scale.
    If it is working properly and is on a hard flat surface it should say the same all the time.
    And deffinately do not weigh yourself more than once a day (and once a day is still too much) Its not a fun mind game to play with.

If you are a daily "weigher" challenege yourself to every other day - then every third day, then ask yourself if it really made a difference? If it did - it was probably posistive. Loose the scale obsession.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my scale. I weigh the same way all the time. I will way myself the night before, wake up and I am 2lbs heavier I say good night of living, I didn't eat after I weighed myself; or lets say I weigh my self at 4am, I shower do all the necessities, weigh again at 6am I'm a pound heavier. I recently changed the batteries and all, but what really got me was I weigh in the nude all the time so I'm expecting a more accurate weight well I went to have my physical, and I weighed in at 3lbs less with clothes on. I am def getting a new scale.

Stop weighing so often.

Your weight changes naturally which explains why you keep getting different weights a few hours apart or the next morning. It's not the scale... it's just the natural changes. And the difference between your home scale and the one at the doctors is natural. You could step on 10 different scales and get 10 different weights.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My bathroom scale is wonky. I will step on it, it finds a weight and blinks to let me know it has done so. Then I step off to let it reset. The 2nd-3rd-4th time I step on, the weight is a few pounds lighter than the first time. All the subsequent weights agree.

Do I track the lighter weight? :huh:

Your scale is developing intelligence.

"Geez, I already told her the weight, and she KEEPS getting back on. Okay, maybe she'll leave me alone if I tell her she looks thinner...."
  • booplus2002
    booplus2002 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    LOL @xinit0