12 months - 53lbs and now "healthy" BMI

Options
Hi all

Started my MFP journey about 12 months ago - always been a foodie, but years of working away from home, staying in hotels and being too tired to do much about it when I was at home took its toll.

The first picture of me is in March 2012 - at the opening of my Wife's wine shop. I was 15st 7lbs - and on the right is me last weekend - 53 pounds lighter!

I've gone from couch potato, to running 3x a week (graduate of C25k), and about to do my 2nd 10k race at the end of the month. Much more to come in the future.

20061034-197e-42f5-9c46-807077145c50.jpg

Replies

• BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic -- so much younger and fitter!
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I agree! You look younger =). Great Job!
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This made my day! I love a good success story ; ) Amazing job!!
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You look amazing without the story I would have said the man on the right is the father of the man on the left thats how much life you can clearly see youve brought to yourself. Congratulations. Great work
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    great job! so just running 3x a week and likely a cleaner diet? let's hear all the secrets of your success!! ;)
  • MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    wow awesome job :) you look amazing
  • benbrandwood
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses! Big smile on my face now.

No big secrets here, I think there has been two slight changes I've made that made the biggest results

1) I used to drink about 10 small cups a day of white coffee machine coffee - that's 55cals per cup or 550 cals per day - got rid of that!
    2) Smaller lunches, used to be a baguette (ham salad or coronation chicken for example) and a bag of crisps - that's easily 700 cals right there. Now I usually pick something from Mark's and Spencer's "Fuller for Longer" range for 350 cals and some grapes or popcorn for another 100.

Eating 1650cals per day (I'm 5'8"), and eating back exercise cals - and it's come off pretty much at 1lbs per week over the 12 months - sometimes faster, sometimes slower, but averages out OK.

I don't deny myself anything, I have a bacon sandwich every weekday morning for breakfast - but I drink lots of green tea during the day.

Still got a little bit to go - but progress is much slower now (oh noes! a plateau!), but once the 10k is out of the way, I'm going to look into starting something like Stronglifts 5x5. And so onwards!

Also, I've gone from a 17.5" Collar to 15", a 36" waist to 32" and a 44" chest to 38" so 12.5" lost overall!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    So Inspiring!! The pictures are amazing. It's like looking at a father and son, rather than the same person. You look 15 years younger at least. Fantastic and inspiring. Thank you for sharing! Keep up the great healthy lifestyle. It's working on you.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that's not your dad in the first picture??? :laugh: Fabulous results, well done mate
  • benbrandwood
    Options
    Haha. I actually cropped my dad out of this picture (though he's an older version of my 2nd photo!)

People have always said I looked old for my age, maybe now I'm back down to where I actually am! (31)
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You look amazing without the story I would have said the man on the right is the father of the man on the left thats how much life you can clearly see youve brought to yourself. Congratulations. Great work

repost for truthiness! :laugh: :drinker:
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    congrats!!! job well done!
  • DenverGirl93
    DenverGirl93 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You look great and a lot younger! Congratulations on your weight-loss!
  • Bibliothekar
    Bibliothekar Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also would have guessed the first picture to have been a man in his 40's. You definitely look like a healthy 31 year man now! Awesome Job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!