I keep getting injuries from working out

Options
Let me start by saying this is my first post to the message boards in MFP so please hang in there I am kind of long winded and scattered at times.

I just started going to the gym a little over to months ago, I have also began eating much healthier and really utilizing all that MFP has to offer. I have lost around 20lbs since I started working out and eating better.

After about 2 weeks of going to the gym at least 5 days a week both my knees started bothering me all the time so I decided to change my workout and stop running for a while and take out the rowing machine and use different machines to help them heal. I was bummed out about having to make these changes but I was seeing the weight loss and knew I had to keep at it.

Now is different both knees healed after about 2 more weeks of taking it easy.

Just 2 days ago I started to get shin splints in my left leg making it painful to even walk normal. The first day I decided not to go to the gym and just take it easy and do some simple yard work. Yesterday I knew I had to get into the gym and make the best out of things and work out. I used the stationary bike and elliptical machine just like I always do at the gym. I stayed away from the treadmill (I usually run on it for 15 min. and then walk for 15 min) and decided to do some stretching instead.

I am still eating the same healthy foods and yet in the past week and half I have not lost any weight and have begun fluctuating back and forth and now I am feeling really quite down about the injury and how I can't seem to get out of my head.

I keep telling myself this is a marathon not a sprint but now I can't do any running.

Replies

• tsdaughe
    tsdaughe Posts: 88
    Options
    You might be doing too much too fast. Or it may be your form when your running. Running is high impact. Or you have bad knees. When I first started running, I hurt my knee and had to lay off of running for a few months and do lower impact excercises like the bike, elliptical and let my knee heal. If you get back at it too fast, you just reinjure yourself. Also, your shoes may not be offering the support that you need.

I stopped running for awhile and got back at it a few months ago and ended up hurting my knee pretty bad and just stopped. Now, I focus on strength training, lower impact cardio and abs. Do you run outside? Because running on the treadmill is very hard on your knees. I never have issues when I run only outside.

Keep up the good work! If your gym offers a personal trainer maybe try a session to learn some other options to working out. Using weights and other means of cardio can help you burn just as much, if not more, calories.
  • ubkz_2
    ubkz_2 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you for the advice I think that looking into the personal trainer option is a good idea. I want to run outside however I live in Wisconsin and our weather at least right now is to unpredictable. As soon as the weather changes for the better I am going to start jogging hiking trails and I am sure that will be much easier on my knees. Patients is key and that is what I lack the most I think.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch out enough before working out?

I had the exact same problem with my knees, and I ended up seeing a physio about it. It turned out to be an issue with my knee caps, or rather the patellar tendon not giving it enough support. This made my knees turn inwards when walking or standing, which put pressure on my ankles, when put even more pressure back on my knees and so forth. It wasn't serious and it was taken care of by a few weeks of gentle stretching and some low-weight-high-reps strength training.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    Let me start by saying this is my first post to the message boards in MFP so please hang in there I am kind of long winded and scattered at times.

I just started going to the gym a little over to months ago, I have also began eating much healthier and really utilizing all that MFP has to offer. I have lost around 20lbs since I started working out and eating better.

After about 2 weeks of going to the gym at least 5 days a week both my knees started bothering me all the time so I decided to change my workout and stop running for a while and take out the rowing machine and use different machines to help them heal. I was bummed out about having to make these changes but I was seeing the weight loss and knew I had to keep at it.

Just 2 days ago I started to get shin splints in my left leg making it painful to even walk normal. The first day I decided not to go to the gym and just take it easy and do some simple yard work. Yesterday I knew I had to get into the gym and make the best out of things and work out. I used the stationary bike and elliptical machine just like I always do at the gym. I stayed away from the treadmill (I usually run on it for 15 min. and then walk for 15 min) and decided to do some stretching instead.

I am still eating the same healthy foods and yet in the past week and half I have not lost any weight and have begun fluctuating back and forth and now I am feeling really quite down about the injury and how I can't seem to get out of my head.

I keep telling myself this is a marathon not a sprint but now I can't do any running.

Doing solely long, slow cardio will do this. I find that I absolutely have to include strength training (to strengthen the ligaments/tendons/muscles) AND I have to dedicate time to mobility/stretching. As I get older, I now spend about 20-30 minutes each evening before bed stretching and try to get in at least one yoga session each week. That seems to keep me generally injury free (you'll ALWAYS have little aches and pains) and allows me to do 3 crossfit workouts plus strength training each week plus a good 5-8 mile run on the weekends.

Just my two cents and what I've found works for me.
  • SandyleeT
    SandyleeT Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would add that pacing yourself such as working out 3 times a week, hard, and then giving your body rest is one way to get fit while not hurting yourself. Also, being sure you don't have other issues like your body is out of alignment, which can cause knee or back problems quickly. Once I started getting sports massage and making sure I didn't have my hips and back out of alignment as helped me work out hard, get strong, without causing additional injuries, I also limit my running to a once or twice a week, and weight train 2-3 times a week. At 51 I have to keep an eye on avoiding injuries :-0
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    I just read your profile and realize that you sit for 8 hours per day. I'm in a similar boat. Stretching is an absolute MUST for anyone that sits that much. Hell, I even recommend a chiropractor to my twenty-something year old college grads at my office and point out the hunched over 50+ year olds that look like trolls in our office. Sitting at a desk over a computer all day reeks havoc on your body and working out will definitely result in injury if you don't correct imbalances that you most certainly have if you've been in that job for very long.
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you're getting shin splints you should absolutely avoid road running until they've healed. If you've got shin splints from the treadmill you should look at both your running style (the PT advice) and your trainers. Make sure they're appropriate for your feet and exercise. For trainers there are a lot of online articles but a proper (not commercial) sports store will be able to give good advice too.

Don't give up though, I'm littered with injuries and there is always something that you can do.

Good trainers
    Good advice
    Worst case ... good knee support/brace/strap

Just don't push through injuries, it's how you make them permanent. I have (left knee) chondromalacia patella, tendonitis and (right knee) distended knee and prone to dislocations. I can't do any running/impact work but do the same kind of workouts you've replaced your running with. Worth knowing that an elliptical trainer will usually burn alot more calories than running anyhow
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You guys mention stretching, stretching, stretching.....when I picture stretching, I think of touching my toes and stuff like that. "Cool down" stuff after, say, a kick-boxing workout. What specific stretches are you doing?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    The shin splints are occurring because you are not used to the high impact that running can put on the body. Some people can handle it fine while others have more difficulty. As an alternative stick to the bike and make sure you lead with the heel and not toe it (as this can aggravate the shin splints as well). Or if your gym has a pool you can jog back and forth there. Resistance plus you get the low impact since the body is buoyant in the water. I might also suggest some weight training as long as it is performed properly. This will allow your body to still burn / build and take some of the stress off of the legs.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are properly warming up and stretching after each work out, and for running it could be a few things. Are you wearing the right shoes based off your foot arch, width, foot landing and pronation. The shoes could be what is causing the issue with your knees and can also in long term cause problems with feet and hips and minor back problems as well. Running form is also very important and there is a lot of online articles that you can read to learn about running form and there are lots of places to take beginner running classes where they can address these issues. It is also possible that you have the same problem I did last year, I had inactive muscles above my knee on the upper side of my legs, after long term use with not activating the muscle I ended up with patella femoral syndrome. I ended up having to stop running for a few weeks while going to physio to correct this. Shin splints are often from wearing the wrong shoes or having bad running form and even more commonly from not stretching before/after a run.

Hope you find a good solution :) and that what I had to say helped in any way.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Doing solely long, slow cardio will do this. I find that I absolutely have to include strength training (to strengthen the ligaments/tendons/muscles) AND I have to dedicate time to mobility/stretching. As I get older, I now spend about 20-30 minutes each evening before bed stretching and try to get in at least one yoga session each week. That seems to keep me generally injury free (you'll ALWAYS have little aches and pains) and allows me to do 3 crossfit workouts plus strength training each week plus a good 5-8 mile run on the weekends.

I found the same. I mix my running with yoga. I do 3 days of running, 2 of yoga usually as I find they work well together. You need the strength in your core and joints to do high impact stuff like running etc and yoga definitely gives you this. I have a lot less injuries since practicing it regularly. Also make sure you stretch and get your muscles 'warm' properly before you start to run and have a good 15 mins stretching afterwards too
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

I found the same. I mix my running with yoga. I do 3 days of running, 2 of yoga usually as I find they work well together. You need the strength in your core and joints to do high impact stuff like running etc and yoga definitely gives you this. I have a lot less injuries since practicing it regularly. Also make sure you stretch and get your muscles 'warm' properly before you start to run and have a good 15 mins stretching afterwards too

I spend 15 minutes at the end of every workout to stretch. I don't stretch before working out unless it is my run day then I do some light stretching beforehand. I have found it immensely helps with not only soreness but with the ability to keep training hard. I really do think most men get injured so frequently simply because they are almost always against stretching and yoga.

Every week before a race, I try to take a yoga class too. Stretching does WONDERS for the body.

As for shin splits, put the dreadmill on .5 or 1 for incline. Problem solved. Running on a dreadmill is so unnatural due to its flatness. I am conditioned to run outside. I run races ALL the time....just won my first race this past weekend. I work out ALL the time. Stick me on a dreadmill with no incline set, instant shin splits.

And I agree, it sounds like too much too quickly. Slow it down some.
  • ubkz_2
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the awesome advice.

I am trying do more stretching now before working out and right now and I am staying with the elliptical and the bike and some weights. I have to admit that my stretching before this injury was really just kind of touching my toes before I stepped on the treadmill (dumb I know, lessoned learned the hard way). I will slowly easy back into the running later after I think the shin splints have healed probable about two weeks (kind of depressing). Running is what I enjoy doing the most but not worth the pain at this point.

If this continues to happen I am going to have to look into the inserts for my shoes but I right now I don't want to drop the money on a good pair unless absolutely necessary.
  • ubkz_2
    Options
    The advice about the incline of the treadmill is not something I had ever even considered thank you very much. When I get back to running I will definitely start doing that.