Good heart rate monitor w/ calorie counter??

Options
I recently started exercising regularly, and just yesterday started trying to track my calories. Problem: I have no idea how to estimate the number of calories I burn working out! I'm considering getting a heart rate monitor that tracks calories burned, but don't know of any good ones that are still relatively cheap (under $50-60 would be great). Anybody have any suggestions?

I just need something basic, nothing fancy. I mainly just want an accurate calorie count for my workouts and I don't want to spend a lot of money. I'm doing the P90X program (just started phase 2) so if anyone has estimates for calorie burns for each workout that could be helpful too.

Thanks!

Replies

• Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The one I have is a little closer to $70 - $80 dollars but I love it.. the Polar F6... bought it about 5 weeks ago and now, can't imagine exercising without it... comfortable, easy to use and as far as I can tell, it seems very accurate..
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I bought the Timex Digital Zone Trainer. Love it! Got it on Amazon about 45.00
  • anderson8480
    Options
    There are a ton on ebay... but not sure what is the best kind... good luck!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a Sportline 915, which is a cheap one because it will only work for about a week. Trash.
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I second Polar F6. I have had it for almost two years and it's awesome. Check out overstock.com or amazon.com or other sites like that for the best deals. It's super easy to read the calorie counts and it tracks it for each week which is also helpful. Good luck!
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    go with polar!! i love mine!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I love, love my Polar F6
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 and love it. Its worth the $80. Trust me...I went and spent $45.00 for one that was inconsistant and I hated. then ended up going and getting the one that I thought was to expensive. So I ended up spending $125.00 plus tax!!
    Just save up and get one that has the chest strap (just my advice)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Ft7, its about 90-100 but its the newer model of the Polar F6/F7, make sure you get one with a chest strap, its more accurate
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with my MIO Shape HRM .. got it on Ebay for 9.99$ Free shipping ...
  • flems629
    flems629 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just bought the polar F6 last night and love it!
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    love my polar ft7
  • lew826
    lew826 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I got the $27 one from Walmart and haven't had any problems with it.
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have to bump this, I need a new one soon, my Walmart special is terrible.
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    go to walmart.com they sell the Oregon Scientific Smart Heart Heart Rate Monitor Watch

its only $33 and comes with a chest strap. it has really great reviews. i ordered one the other day and it just came in the mail. ive already been playing around with it but will test it tomorrow. you can not find this one in stores..online only
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have a polar FT 7 and absolutely love it. Easy to program, comfortable to wear, and accurate. It tells you calories burned, it lets you know where your heart rate is, and it also tells you if you were in the fat burning zone or fitness zone. You can even wear it to swim!!! Well worth the cost!
    I wish I had mine even earlier it has helped me learn how to work out smarter! Plus if I need to burn 450 calories, I don't stop until I see 450 on the HRM:) So easy...Go shop!
  • kia_b2008
    kia_b2008 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm in the market for a HRM as well and have been leaning toward Polar. Someone told me you had to send them in when the battery needed to be replaced. Is that true?
  • south_side
    Options
    although it's a tad out of your price range, I've heard great things about the Polar FT4 ($90 I believe?).
  • 2dogs2
    2dogs2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've replaced the batteries in the strap and watch myself ... The reason they look for you to send the watch in is for water protection. I just used a tiny drop of vaseline on the seal when putting it back together.