Did this man get too much time?

Options

Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    A history of assault and now a string of armed robberies?

This guy is a murder, or multiple murders, waiting to happen.

Jeebus, what is this, Minority Report?! There was a threat of violence, that is often enough for a heavy sentence but honestly I think murderers, child killers and rapists get less time that this. It ought to be relative - They should get more, he should get marginally less because while there was a threat of violence nobody was actually killed.

I agree 100% (nice reference, btw).

The punishment should be proportionate to the crime committed.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    So I came across this article below:

FORT WORTH — A 20-year-old Fort Worth man was sentenced to nine life sentences Wednesday for an armed robbery spree in late 2011.

Karrington Braziel pleaded guilty to nine charges of aggravated robbery, but asked a jury to assess punishment. Jurors deliberated two hours before recommending the maximum punishment. The sentences will run concurrently.

From Nov. 13 to Nov. 30, 2011, Braziel held up businesses in southwest Fort Worth including IHOP and Pizza Hut restaurants and a Braum’s ice cream shop, according to a news release from the Tarrant County district attorney’s office.

The spree ended after a witness to the robbery of Tom’s E-Z-N wrote down the license number of the car Braziel drove away in. He was arrested after a short police chase.

During the punishment phase of the trial, prosecutors presented evidence of Braziel’s criminal history, which included serving time in a juvenile facility for assaulting a public servant. The jury also heard that
    Braziel had caused trouble in the Tarrant County Jail while awaiting trial.

“Given this man’s actions as a juvenile, as an adult, and even while incarcerated, he showed he will always be a threat to the peace of the community,” prosecutor Tim Rodgers said in the news release. “This jury did what was necessary to make sure there will be no more victims.”

As usual here are my thoughts and questions.

1. The guy did the crimes and probably deserves prison time. You do the crime, you do the time.

2. He is a young man. He will be in prison for the rest of his life. That’s sad.

3. I have read about murderers getting less time then he has.

4. Do you think this is too much time? Are they punishing him for what he “might” do instead of what he did?

I am curious to see what you all think about this. Let’s try to keep this to a respectable discussion. Thanks.

Here are my 2 cents....

I believe sentencing someone for that amount of time is ridiculous. He killed no one. He molested no one. He raped no one. Child molesters and rapists get out in a very short time (too short, if you ask me). Yes, he should do time, but life?? Crazy. Heck, in this country, you get a longer sentence for tax evasion than you do for violent crimes.

Sorry, got off topic a bit. My opinion, he is just a kid. Yes, 20 is still a kid mentally. Make him serve time, 10 years maybe. He will come out a 30-year-old man that hopefully has learned his lesson and paid his debt to society.

That is all.. =0)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    A lesson to be learned here? Don't commit violent crimes in Texas.

And I couldn't care less about what he gets. Just because someone is lucky enough to get off with a lighter sentence doesn't make his actions any less horrible. And as for murderers and rapists getting less, THAT is where the mistake is, not in this guy's sentencing.

Edit to add: criminal trials are rarely "over" unless someone is found not guilty. Appeals will very likely occur.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Jeebus, what is this, Minority Report?! There was a threat of violence, that is often enough for a heavy sentence but honestly I think murderers, child killers and rapists get less time that this. It ought to be relative - They should get more, he should get marginally less because while there was a threat of violence nobody was actually killed.

It is.

The guy went from business to business, robbing them at gunpoint.

He literally pointed a gun at people and demanded that they open cash registers and give him money. He did this nine times.

On the last robbery, when he noticed someone was chasing him and his accomplice, he or his accomplice opened fire.

The guy also has three prior assault convictions and a fourth pending in court.

This is a man with a significant history of violence who held nine people at gunpoint over the course of a few days. In Texas. Who then gave his sentence up to a jury.
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think in this day and age we know enough about violent crimes and the people who commit them, and how they go on to do worse I dont think that some one needs to BE dead before some one goes to prison for it. I think that a tough sentence such as this is warented. No one will suffer at the hands of this person ever again. How many lives have already been ruined?? YES THIS PERSON SHOULD BE BEHIND BARS FOR EVER!
  • PhattphlabbieAquarian
    Options
    The guy committed 9 armed robberies. hmmmmmmmmm..........................................he was armed, because??? Had a gun??? Was convicted of a of a at least one prior offense so here is a felon with a gun. Back ground checks??? hmmmmmmmm..........violent while incarcerated??? hmmmmmm........................

You look at this guy's history, and the current crimes he's admitted and therefore been convicted of and you ask if the sentence is extreme?

Have you ever heard of anyone leaving prison that's been rehabilitated?? Not me.

I'd give him consecutive prison sentences rather than concurrent sentences.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    He also shot multiple times at someone following him for a tag number so yeah that becomes attempted murder and the sentence is fitting.
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    BUT CHILD MOLESTERS AND ACTUALLY MURDERS SHOULD GET WORSE!! AN EYE FOR AN EYE!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    The question that needs to be answered here before this question can be answered is "What is the purpose of the prison system?" Does prison exist to punish, rehabilitate or remove people from society?
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    BUT CHILD MOLESTERS AND ACTUALLY MURDERS SHOULD GET WORSE!! AN EYE FOR AN EYE!

In prison, child molesters DO get worse.

As far as the topic.. if the punishment was legally an option, and the 12 people in the jury all decided it was the best option, then we should respect that. It's not like we are privy to the details of the case, we weren't in the courtroom, they were. Sometimes people are just bad seeds.
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Too much time. While it is possibly true that he could "always be a threat to the peace of the community", I find this sentence RIDICULOUS. Our justice system is that you are innocent until proven guilty, isn't it? (edit, I'm assuming this is Fort Worth, Texas...right?) .He definitely deserves to pay for his actions that he DID do, but a life sentence on the premise that he might commit another crime in the future is absurd.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

It is.

He literally pointed a gun at people and demanded that they open cash registers and give him money. He did this nine times.

On the last robbery, when he noticed someone was chasing him and his accomplice, he or his accomplice opened fire.

This is a man with a significant history of violence who held nine people at gunpoint over the course of a few days. In Texas. Who then gave his sentence up to a jury.

Oh Jonny, you're just lucky you're pretty.
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Career criminal POS. Glad he's gone forever. We need more of this type of sentencing.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    While I believe his sentence is harsh, I don't think it is too much time. As other's have said, murderers and rapists get less time. That is the true crime. If we actually start punishing criminals harshly instead of giving them club med, maybe some of the crime rates will go down.

No, not too much time and I hope other states follow suit and start being harsher
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Too much time. While it is possibly true that he could "always be a threat to the peace of the community", I find this sentence RIDICULOUS. Our justice system is that you are innocent until proven guilty, isn't it? He definitely deserves to pay for his actions that he DID do, but a life sentence on the premise that he might commit another crime in the future is absurd.

Is that what the jury said?
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

It is.

I agree with you in that the crimes were heinous, but nine life sentences is overkill.

Questions to consider:

Is this punishment in line with average sentences for similar crimes in other states?

What is the average sentence for armed robbery in the state of Texas?
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    definitely deserves time in prison but some murderers and rapists get off almost scott free comparitvely speaking.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Wasn't there a really sh*tty Tom Cruise movie that charged people for future crimes?? We should clearly go on that.
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think in this day and age we know enough about violent crimes and the people who commit them, and how they go on to do worse I dont think that some one needs to BE dead before some one goes to prison for it. I think that a tough sentence such as this is warented. No one will suffer at the hands of this person ever again. How many lives have already been ruined?? YES THIS PERSON SHOULD BE BEHIND BARS FOR EVER!

Wow, so he will never change?
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yes