Pretty new here.. and feeling very low

Options
I just joined this week. My story is like a lot i have read. I have never been 120.. I have always been happy with being a size 9 and 150. I got married and gained some weight. Lost it when my husband was stationed over seas. Got pregnant, had a miscarriage 2 months later, then 6 months later was pg again. My weight has yoyo-ed for 5 years now. I just had my Baby boy 5 weeks ago and I didnt realize my size until I was looking at pictures. I am currently 197 at 5'7'' I hate everything about the way I look. On top of it all my husband and I are having some issues adjusting to a non military life.

I started P90X on Monday with my husband. I am now on day 3 and sore and hungry. Im feeling pretty low on myself. Today all i want is to eat. It doesn't help that I am breast feeding and this just add to the desire to eat.

I guess Im just looking for some friends for some encouragement!

Replies

• hjackson6
    hjackson6 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Just stay focused on what you want to do. I have days when I want to eat all day too. I usually can convince my self to eat something healthy or just try and hold out until the next meal. I don't like to have to log all the bad stuff and what not. Way to go on making the choice to join us on myfitnesspal. I love it. Its a great site.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hang in there sweetie! Your story made me sad. Keep up the breast feeding, as this helps take off the baby weight. I encourage you to eat. Do not try and starve yourself. There are many MANY things that you can eat all day long and still stay within your mfp caloric goal. If you like fish then tuna fish and salmon are great ways to eat light and get full. Almonds and apples are great fillers as well. Apples always keep me full for a while. Even if I do not want one, if I am hungry I will eat it and then I am no longer hungry and feel great that I did not splurge and eat a cookie! Google low calorie recipes. There's a ton of info on the net that can help you on your journey. Good luck. I am adding you as a friend. :happy:
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    You are breastfeeding, you are hungry that means eat!!!!! Just breastfeeding alone will help you lose weight. Not to mention all the calories you are burning with P90X you need to eat. I have seen people on here that are doing it and consuming 2500 calories a day so figure that plus what you need to produce food for your child.

Just be thankful you can breastfeed. After two weeks we found out my son was allergic to my milk.

Feel free to friend me if you would like.
  • JoanneNoakes
    Options
    Hey there,

I am new today too. I know how you feel about the weight and the stress of trying to breast feed a new baby. Maybe we can support each other through this?

I have had great advice and friendly support already and only joined this afternoon.

:0)
  • MandykinsK1980
    Options
    I am here for ya!!! If you need any ideas beyond P90x let me know! I am doing weight watchers and loving it! I just started a month ago and have lost 13 lbs! This is a really neat site you will learn to love it and there is so much encouragement on here its great!!! Good luck on your journey! Friend request on the way!!! :wink:
  • HaolepinoGirl
    Options
    HI!
    I'm new too....you can do it!
    New Friend on the way...
  • suzyanne
    suzyanne Posts: 50
    Options
    You can do it. Stay strong! There are so many people here to talk to and encourage you. Just remember...you're doing this for you. You want to be happy and healthy. Well, you won't be healthy if you're unhappy, and you wont be happy unless you're happy with yourself. Do it for you! Love yourself enough to keep at it. I know you can!
  • KrissyD70
    KrissyD70 Posts: 92
    Options
    Don't be down on yourself. It sounds as though you have had a tough few years. Using the calorie counter you could track your calories and be aware of what you are eating. The eating (unfortunatly) can be difficult. But you can do it! Just take one day at a time. Don't look at all the weight you need to lose, just set small goals to start. Big ones can seem unatainable. Be good to yourself, for your baby, your husband, and most importantly, YOU!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    If you are that hungry and you are breastfeeding, you may need to up your calories. You burn 500-800 per day, depending on the age of your baby and whether they are exclusively breastfed. There is a thing in the food database for breastfeeding that actually subtracts calories based on how much your baby ate and what not... that will be helpful in knowing how much to eat while breastfeeding. Just look up "breastfeeding" in the food database and it should be there.
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    OMG! Eat some fooooood! You have to keep your milk supply. Eat whenever you are hungry, just make sure it's as healthy as possible. You can be eating at least 2000 calories a day and still lose weight if you are solely breast feeding. Don't worry about your weight right now, worry about keeping healthy and working out. Congratulations on your new son, I have three boys and a little girl. Take care :smile:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, be sure you are eating enough to support breastfeeding and the exercise!! What you eat is very important for that breast milk! And you have to make sure you eat enough! Milk production will slow if you don't eat enough! There's no reason that you can't exercise and eat a healthy diet. But, don't be hard on yourself right now. You are doing a wonderful thing for you baby by breastfeeding!!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) I wanted to invite you to join our P90X group. The thread is here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/106693-p90x-starting-a-new-thread. There's a great group of supportive people in there. Are you following the diet for P90X? If so, you shouldn't feel so hungry. I'm sure breastfeeding burns lots of calories, so maybe you could add some extra healthy calories to your diet to make up for that? Good luck and feel free to check in with us!
  • Karri2167
    Karri2167 Posts: 5
    Options
    You can do this. Just remember you didn't put on your weight over night and you aren't going to take it off over night. It has taken me a year but I have lost 60 lbs. I just joined this sight on Monday and love it. I had kind of gotten to a stand still and wanted to try something else. I would lover to send you a friend request. Just don't give up. Practice makes perfect. Keep trying it will come off.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    It is hard in the beginning, but you will become accustomed to the lower calorie intake after a few weeks. The soreness hasn't gone away for me yet, but I am always working to increase what I can do, so i do not expect it to. Muscles get bigger by gettign small tears and then healing, that is just what the process is and I want the results, so I deal with the soreness. (My abs are in revolt today!)

The good news about the exercise is that once you do have a level off you can maintain that level of workouts and never really get sore and the cardio stuff continuously improves. My heart rate used to (at the end of March and beginning of April 2010) go to 180 doing 70 rpm on the elliptical for a couple of miles. Now to get it out of the 150's I have to do extended runs at 105 to 115 RPM or raise the resistance on the machine and still go over 95 RPM.

Also, make sure to account for breastfeeding in your log and eat at elast ahlf of those calories along with at least half of your exercise calories. There is no need to be a Monk. If you are set for 2 lbs a week, hitting 0 on here is still -1000 calories for each day.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am fairly new here too...about 2 weeks. We are similar...I used to be happy being in the 150's also. We are about the same size...I am also 5'7" and started at 187...I have lost 5lbs so I am now at 182. Good luck....we CAN do this!!!
  • enygmatic1
    enygmatic1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    First off WELCOME!! Secondly you can do anything if you really committ. Trust me there are times that I literally have to debate myself away from a drive thru window because that would be sooooo much more convenient and sooooo much easier. I'm not only the "fat girl" but I've got "fat girl" mentallity. I know how down you must be feeling but as a former military wife you have been through so much and triumphed over so much that you can do anything! Plus this site is great for encouragement or just to get stuff off your chest. If you ever need backup you've come to the right place.

Congrats on taking the first step!
  • moniraq
    moniraq Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristin,

Sounds like you need some encouragement! I'm guessing that P90X is an exercise program? If so, you should be proud of yourself for continuing to exercise even though you're feeling out of sorts. Kudos to you for that!

If you need a buddy, feel free to add me as a friend. I just started on here yesterday so I'm still learning my way around as well.

Keep moving forward!
    Monica
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    hi hun. i got a 3 month old and my weight has been a yoyo since i was 22. ive was always the skinny girl who never had to excersice and watch what i eat and now i have to. i lost 10lbs in the last 2 months just by changing my diet and i never sit still for long pweriods of time unless im sleeping.. add me hun
  • Gorgeous1
    Gorgeous1 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Take a break from the workout if you need to. Nothing wrong with that. concentrate on just eating better. Work out when you feel like you have the energy or promise yourself two days a week to start.

i've done that same thing: tried to become a marathoner and eat 3 calories a day starting at the same time when the day before I was eating 4 million calories and sitting on the couch 26 hours a day.

It's too much a shock to the system and your brian chemistry will cause the exact feelings that push you to eat - depression, fatigue, anxiety etc.

Don't.

Just focus on eating better. Knock down the exercise until your body has adjusted to the new caloric intake. I find that a two week wait on exercise works pretty well since your body should be burning fat for fuel by then for sure. Then you should actually have MORE energy even though you're eating less and you can work out when it feels natural to your body.

Good luck! feel free to add me to friends if you want.