Fat Shaming? What about health shaming?

Options
2»

Replies

• CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I think it's frustrating to be body-policed by other people no matter what, but no, I don't think it's the same thing. On a personal level, it might hurt and feel bad to be teased about being thin, but the larger context is totally different. Being thin and fit puts you in a position of privilege in society. Yes, "too skinny" is also fodder for teasing. But if you are fat, any teasing is coupled with a general attitude of disgust and blame. There isn't true shame attached to thinness or health the way there is to fatness.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out that I don't think there's anything wrong with having a preference. I have a preference in my men and women, too. And I talk about it! Publicly!

The problem arises when people start getting mean about it.

"Thick girls are better than thin girls" Okay, fine. I respect your opinion.
    "THIN GIRLS LOOK LIKE BONES WITH SKIN DRAPED OVER THEM EW. ANYONE UNDER 120 NEEDS TO GAIN A FEW POUNDS AND COME BACK TO ME" Ehhhh, maybe let's calm down with that.

"Thin girls are sexier than thick girls" Okay, fine. I respect your opinion.
    "IF YOUR THIGHS LOOK LIKE COTTAGE CHEESE RUNNING DOWN A WALL THEN YOU NEEDA GTFO GIRL" Ehhhh, maybe let's calm down with that.

Just pointing out the difference.
    I'm not easily offended. Neither of these things offend me personally but I can see how they're harmful to some people.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Wait, why are we shaming anyone?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Your expression seems reminiscent of Theon Greyjoy.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'll come out and ask... if most of America is fat and 1/4 is obese WHO are the people fat shaming? How can a majority shame itself? I just don't understand it.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Life becomes a lot more fun when do what you want and stop worrying about what other people think of your choices.

I get grief all the time about my diet and my commitment to training, and I don't give a flying crap about it. I feel better than I ever have in my life, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let other people make me feel like I have to defend myself for that.
    This^^
    People giving you crap for accomplishing something for yourself are just jealous haters.
  • bronx1101
    bronx1101 Posts: 48
    Options
    When I was 14, I had to get a physical to go off to a church camp. I found out that I was 5 ft 7.5 in and weighed in at 148 lbs. I did NOT think I was overweight. It never occurred to me at all, even then. But when some family members found out, they made fun of me and told lots of other people, who also made fun of me. Thus began the cycle of yo-yo dieting and body image issues. Now I hear, "Don't lose to much, you look weird when you lose a lot of weight, wow you're just gonna fly away, your head looks big now...". It hurts no matter what! I'm just so happy that I have a husband who loves me and has been supportive of me these past 10 years whether I'm chubby or not.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've had six decades to live among people, and I can tell you all this; thin, fat, curvy, healthy, muscular, eating right, eating poorly, no matter what, you will never lack for people who disagree with your choices and comment on them. Be like my beautiful Muscovy ducks; calm and serene on the surface, paddle like hell underneath, and let the bad comments just roll off you.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Your expression seems reminiscent of Theon Greyjoy.

I was told I look like Peter Dinklage the other day.

Maybe I should try out for next season. I seem to have the Westerosi look about me.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I find myself standing up for people much more now than I ever did in the past. I will sometimes go out of my way to say "Let him/her eat what they want" when I'm around people I know that are trying to "coerce" someone to eat or do something they are politely trying to avoid.

I recognize that behavior much more now than I ever have in the past. Probably makes me come across as a real big @sshole to some people!