Lifting Heavy on a Budget

Options

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    edit: I'm did pretty good on CC as a starter guide - but thank you for your angle on the book.

I grant you, the concept of doing sets of 50 reps of some exercises before progressing onto the next exercise within a bodypart progression is contradictive to the general basics of strength training, but the progressons are interesting in there own right. I tend to read and interpret the book against what I already know.

For what it's worth, I prefer Al Kavadlo's approach to bodyweight strength training and attitude to fitness. In your opinion, is he snake oil as well please?
  • lhprop1
    lhprop1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It costs less for a gym membership than it does for all the equipment needed to "lift heavy".

In the short term, yes. In the long term, getting your own stuff is much cheaper. Figure in the freedom you get to use your own gym any time of day and to play by your own rules and it's tough to beat having all of your own stuff.

You don't have to get everything at once. Start with a kettle bell and a jump rope or something else similarly simple. You can train at home one or two days a week. Eventually, you can add a bar and plates and anything else you need. Over time you stop going to the gym altogether.

Over the years, I've been collecting equipment. I have a full gym set up in my garage with mats, bench, squat rack, bars, plates, and a full array of strongman equipment. With patience, some fabricating skills, and a little luck, I've been able to put it all together for probably less than $500.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    got my stuff of craigslist. spent about 400$ all together Body weight exercises will suffice until your financial situation improves.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Some useful bodyweight sites if you don't want to buy books:
    http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials/
    http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/05/14/mastering-your-body-weight/

Obviously most of this stuff is WAY beyond beginner level, but it'll give you an idea of what is out there to work towards.

I agree that Convict Conditioning is garbage though. Useful for learning the basics of bodyweight progression, but that's about it. The programming is bad, there is a lot of misleading information, and the progressions from the basics to the "master steps" suck for the most part.

If you want to get a book, Building the Gymnast Body and Overcoming Gravity are much better.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Do you have a car?

Equipment you'll need:
    1) A vehicle
    2) An empty parking lot
    3) A bored friend (not necessary, but helps) willing to sit in the car
    4) Rope (the heavy duty kind)
    5) Gloves
    6) Shoes

Take the car to the parking lot, put it in neutral, and push it for a mile (check the odometer)
    Then tie the rope to something sturdy, and pull it for a mile

Should take about 5 hours or so.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I really do dislike the advice I am about to give, but I think it is what is needed. If you have one near by, join planet fitness. 10 bucks a month.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Do you have a car?

Equipment you'll need:
    1) A vehicle
    2) An empty parking lot
    5) Gloves
    6) Shoes

Take the car to the parking lot, put it in neutral, and push it for a mile (check the odometer)

For progressive loading, will she need to keep buying bigger cars? Maybe keep loading it with more friends?

Make sure the parking lot is relatively flat, especially if going solo.

Make sure that friend is trustworthy...(and not like most of my friends who would apply the brake frequently).

Have a response ready for people who stop and offer to help.

(I've actually seen people do this...many times actually.)
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Do you have a car?

Equipment you'll need:
    1) A vehicle
    2) An empty parking lot
    5) Gloves
    6) Shoes

For progressive loading, will she need to keep buying bigger cars? Maybe keep loading it with more friends?

Make sure the parking lot is relatively flat, especially if going solo.

Make sure that friend is trustworthy...(and not like most of my friends who would apply the brake frequently).

Have a response ready for people who stop and offer to help.

(I've actually seen people do this...many times actually.)

Progressive loading would be finishing the distance in a shorter amount of time or increasing the distance travelled.

Yes to flat surfaces, but I kind of assumed someone wouldn't try this for the first time in the hillier parts of San Francisco.

Having bad friends actually helps. When I used to do this my buddy (who charged me an entire freaking case of beer just to sit there!) would steer the car towards any hint of a hill he could find. I got strong as hell with it.

I generally just tell them that my car was b*tching that it was my turn to do all the work.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I've done this - it's fun! One time my lady wife was sitting in the driver's seat - with the car in gear! Couldn't work out why it wouldn't budge!

edit: I've changed my mind about Convict Conditioning - it IS garbage.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning is snake oil --- stick with material from Ross Enamait, he's at least got credentials.

But for bare minimum equipment other than bodyweight, I'd suggest a kettlebell. Get a single 35# and you'll grow in to it.

So CC is bogus...

...but a single KB is legit?

A single, heavy (for a female beginner, a 16 kg/35# is heavy) kettlebell is incredibly legit if you know what you're doing with it. Swings, snatches, cleans, presses, Turkish get-ups, goblet squats, rows, lunges, single-leg deadlifts ... there is a ton you can do with it.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Craig's List is full of used gear that's hardly been touched since the current owners decided to buy their own gear instead of joining a gym.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    A single, heavy (for a female beginner, a 16 kg/35# is heavy) kettlebell is incredibly legit if you know what you're doing with it. Swings, snatches, cleans, presses, Turkish get-ups, goblet squats, rows, lunges, single-leg deadlifts ... there is a ton you can do with it.

For the record, HIIT (minute on 30 seconds off, 20 cycles) kettlebell swings with a 50 lb had me puking.

Not sure it would be the first piece of equipment I'd buy, but it's certainly got uses.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning is snake oil --- stick with material from Ross Enamait, he's at least got credentials.

But for bare minimum equipment other than bodyweight, I'd suggest a kettlebell. Get a single 35# and you'll grow in to it.

So CC is bogus...

To be clear, I don't even know what Convict Conditioning is. Never done it, never read about it (beyond people on MFP referring to it). I was just looking for more clarification of that ever-popular form of assertion on MFP that "X is crap; Y is where it's at".

:wink:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

So CC is bogus...

Yes, I agree. While a couple different KBs would be ideal, a single KB is legit provided you're doing the right stuff with it. I think a 16kg bell might be a bit too heavy for a lot of women just starting out, though....12 kg, perhaps....or even an 8 kg.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    You can sometime find deals on craigslist for used equipment at a decent price but they go fast. IMO a gym with a membership fee of $30 / month or less is the way I go. That is about a $1 day investment into your body.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I really do dislike the advice I am about to give, but I think it is what is needed. If you have one near by, join planet fitness. 10 bucks a month.

There is no gym in my area that costs that little. Fact is, I prefer to do at home workouts, or go to park and workout. I might as well light 10 bucks on fire if I join a gym. I have a studio I go to when I can, and the trainer has been teaching me kettle bell and body weight exercises. I'm just looking for other opinions of what is beneficial before I go buy equipment that I don't necessarily need.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Do you have a car?

Equipment you'll need:
    1) A vehicle
    2) An empty parking lot
    5) Gloves
    6) Shoes

Maybe my boyfriend will let me borrow his 15 passenger van! haha

But seriously, if I ever get strong enough to even do half of that... I'd be super happy.