Half Marathon in 3 months...

Options
justjenny
justjenny Posts: 529 Member
I was running last year with my neighbor...we were running about 11 minute miles...did about 3 miles a day. The leukemia society is having a half marathon at the end of September, and they start training in June. Is this even doable? I really want to take on the challenge...but I also don't want to set myself up to fail. Any advice the avid runners can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    What are you running NOW is more important to know than last year.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    It is completly doable.

Google free 1/2 marathon training schedules, there are many 10 week programs available to get you ready.

Your goal is to complete it, so even if you need to walk some of it, you will not fail.

Most important is to get a good fitting pair of running shoes, and don't push too hard too fast. Increase mileage by 10% each week. Cross train to make yourself stronger. Most of all, just have fun with it!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Quite a number of these training plans are about 16 weeks long so you have plenty of time to find one and start working on it. The sooner you start the better. Don't wait till 16 weeks out to start preparing for it.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    It is doable, are you planning on running with the Team in Training/LLS? that is how I train/ran my first half marathon. It is a great organization and I continue to run every once in a while with the coaches and the "new athletes" they will give you a very doable training schedule and the company and support for your long runs. I had run/walked one 5K a year prior (and stopped running after that) to signing up with team in training. They then proceeded to help me get through all my long runs and my coaches were at the race helping us along.

But even if you don't run with the Team in Training, I think it is awesome you are picking a race for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society :)

And yes it is doable! If you don't sign up with the TNT they are a lot of easy/great training schedules online. Just find one that fits your schedule and STICK WITH IT.
    Good luck!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    You have about 19 weeks; most couch-to-half-marathon plans are 24 weeks. But if you think you are in shape to start a program like the one I like below in week 5, then you shouldn't have a problem doing it. The key is to stick to the plan and watch your body -- if you start feeling a niggling injury then see a trainer / doctor right away, don't let it get worse!

https://www.digitalrunning.com/couch-to-half-marathon-plan/
  • justjenny
    Options
    It is completly doable.

Google free 1/2 marathon training schedules, there are many 10 week programs available to get you ready.

Your goal is to complete it, so even if you need to walk some of it, you will not fail.

Most important is to get a good fitting pair of running shoes, and don't push too hard too fast. Increase mileage by 10% each week. Cross train to make yourself stronger. Most of all, just have fun with it!

Thanks! This is good info to have. I definitely think it's doable. I would like to run the entire time, but as long as I finish I will be happy! :smile:
  • PSGPolly
    PSGPolly Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first half marathon in three weeks time. Nervous but also excited! A year ago I was a non-runner and had no thought of doing anything more than a brisk walk. The programme I am following is for 8 weeks and is aimed at novices who are already comfortable running 5km. It would be great to encourage one another if you are interested accept my friend request but won't be upset if you don't!
  • uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do this! And not only can you make it, but if you work, you could make a pretty respectable time. And if not, remember walking breaks aren't cheating. I've done 4 half marathons, and I still find it nearly impossible to drink out of those cups they have while running - it's an ugly, choking, spilling mess - so I walk through the walk stations for a little recovery. And even if you sign up and don't train as well as you'd hope, you can still walk the whole thing. I actually had to do that a few months ago when I fractured my knee 2 weeks before my half marathon. I wasn't allowed to run, but they didn't say I couldn't walk!
  • justjenny
    Options
    It is doable, are you planning on running with the Team in Training/LLS? that is how I train/ran my first half marathon. It is a great organization and I continue to run every once in a while with the coaches and the "new athletes" they will give you a very doable training schedule and the company and support for your long runs. I had run/walked one 5K a year prior (and stopped running after that) to signing up with team in training. They then proceeded to help me get through all my long runs and my coaches were at the race helping us along.

But even if you don't run with the Team in Training, I think it is awesome you are picking a race for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society :)

And yes it is doable! If you don't sign up with the TNT they are a lot of easy/great training schedules online. Just find one that fits your schedule and STICK WITH IT.
    Good luck!

sammyneb - Yes! I will be joining TNT! I am excited to get going. It's great to hear that they are they for support all along the way.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    YES

to tell you the truth, my first half I never ran more than 5 miles in my training....or ever. so, I dont recommend that, but you CAN do it!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Dooooo it!
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    What are you running NOW is more important to know than last year.

Word. HM's are easy and fun.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Definitely!! I signed up for my first half marathon (several years ago now) mid-June and it took place at the beginning of September. It was pretty awesome :-) And I was training on my own.

DO IT!!!!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

I have my first half marathon in the fall and this is what I plan on doing to train. I am going to start it 16 weeks before instead of 12 and I'll take 4 random weeks to do over with the long run on Sunday be whatever 5K/10K/obstacle race I happen to already be signed up for...

That's his "Novice" training plan, he has more advanced training plans as well...
  • justjenny
    Options
    WOO HOO! Thanks for all the encouragement! The decision has been made...I WILL JUST DO IT! :happy:

However long it takes, as long as I finish, that's all that counts.

Training will be a 7:00 am on Saturdays...should I eat before I go? And if so...what should I eat?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The best advise on eating is do what works for you. Start out with something light about 2 hours before; like a bowl of oatmeal or something like that. Also, don't drink too much the morning of the run or you will be stopping a lot. Drink well the day before.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    WOO HOO! Thanks for all the encouragement! The decision has been made...I WILL JUST DO IT! :happy:

Training will be a 7:00 am on Saturdays...should I eat before I go? And if so...what should I eat?

Something like a bagel or maybe oatmeal. I have taken to throwing some steelcut oatmeal in the crockpot the night before a morning run and trying to eat the oatmeal about 2-3 hours before my run. Mind you that's for races of 10k or less. I have the oatmeal and some coffee. I used to have just a banana but I seem to have more in the tank if I have the oatmeal.

As your training runs get longer you may need to consume calories while you are running, look into Gu, sport bars and the like, just make sure you know how you react to what ever you eat/drink/etc before race day and don't try anything new on race day.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If you can't run the whole thing, power walk it. There's no reason that you can't train up to that distance in three months. I do five miles every morning--usually 10 on Sundays. I wasn't doing anything due to a health problem up until three months ago--and I have asthma. So if I can do it, anyone can!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options

Something like a bagel or maybe oatmeal. I have taken to throwing some steelcut oatmeal in the crockpot the night before a morning run and trying to eat the oatmeal about 2-3 hours before my run. Mind you that's for races of 10k or less. I have the oatmeal and some coffee. I used to have just a banana but I seem to have more in the tank if I have the oatmeal.

As your training runs get longer you may need to consume calories while you are running, look into Gu, sport bars and the like, just make sure you know how you react to what ever you eat/drink/etc before race day and don't try anything new on race day.

This^

I usually eat oatmeal, 1/2 of bagel or a banana before my runs, and always coffee :) I need to eat about 2 hours before I run, otherwise I feel like the food is just sitting in my stomach

Find what works for you and stick with it. I like the sport jelly beans best.
  • Brandei
    Brandei Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have a bunch of good reply's already, but I recommend pulling a Hal Higdon half marathon training schedule online. 12 weeks is recommended time for training.