getting started: deal with the soreness or ramp up?

Options
Hoosier96
Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
Hey all-
I am really happy to see these boards are so active, because I need HELP getting my groove back! Two years after having my baby I am still 25 lbs overweight. I don't exercise, my diet could use some improvement, and I think I am *finally* ready to start getting serious about taking control of my health. One thing that holds me back from working out hard is the inevitable initial soreness. Not the "ah I can tell I had a great workout" soreness, but the "holy crap I can't move" kind. As a result, I have gravitated towards just taking some walks, and I know that is not going to be enough to kick start my metabolism. In your experience, is it best to suck it up and push through a couple weeks of misery, or take things slowly and get your body used to moving again? Last time I tried to start the 30 Day Shred, I gave up after 2 days because I could hardly move. Needless to say, I never started it up again after saying "I'm just going to take a day off".

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You just have to keep going! Start slow and maybe do every other day at first, but don't give up!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Ramp up slowly over about 2 weeks. You will have moderate soreness that you can recover from between sessions and skip over the "really sore" part. After about 2 weeks you'll be able to go full bore without extreme discomfort.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started with 30DS several years ago, and used the only weights I had at the time - 5lb dumbbells. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time, but I spent the next three days feeling very humbled and so SORE I could barely walk. :tongue: I haven't ever been that sore since, even with stopping and starting a few times and having to 'start over' with the workouts. Honestly, it's motivations to NOT quit! LOL

But I've also learned that when I do come off a break or start a new workout, I go slow, use lighter weights, and ease into it to avoid that can't go-up-a-single-step feeling the next day (or three!). I also only do workouts with weights every other day, or at least work different parts of the body, legs one day, arms the next, etc. I logged my 620th straight day on MFP this morning, and I've done well with sticking to weights 3 days a week, cardio (running or walking) the other three, and always at least one day off to rest. I still get sore, but it's not the debilitating soreness.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think that feeling of I cant ever move again is exactly what puts people off!build up slowly nothing at all wrong with walking! its a great exercise for weight loss you must be consistent 10 minutes to start every day building up speed and distance as you get stronger!Try out a few different exercise you might like,stop drinking any kind of fizzy drinks and have a nice treat when you like and dont expect results in a week!put your baby in the buggy and walk!you can do it!!
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try starting with Jillian's Body Revolution. It's in stages and the first is pretty beginner but still makes you work up a sweat. You also don't need to follow her schedule or her diet. Do the beginner until you feel like you're not getting as much out of it and then move up. If you have to go back for a few more days, that's OK too. The first time I tried to move up I thought I was going to DIE, so I went back down for another week. I've since moved up and will continue to proceed through the various stages, but at my pace. I'm looking to get fit and lose weight, but I don't need to do it all in 90 days. I've also started to crave the sore muscles and feel like I've been lazy if I don't have at least some stiffness every day. Have fun!

ETA, my profile pic is my "before", I don't have an after yet as I'm not done. However, I can clearly see that the fat roll my husband has his hand on is gone now and my neck & face are MUCH thinner. I'm also developing a very small thigh gap (yaaaa hoooo!!!). I give Jillian and 5K training all the credit.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I was not able to do 30DS several times a week. It killed me the first time. I'm a firm believer in cross training, "Work out whatever doesn't hurt that day." If you are so sore that you are dangerous holding the weights you need to use, I say let your muscles recover. Remember, muscles are made during the recovery, not during the workout. If you don't take the rest your body needs to heal, you aren't gaining muscle. On off days, take a good walk. Try a jog. Do yoga. My goal was to do "something" everyday to burn at least 100 net calories. Make a goal like that and you'll get more active. At Christmas, my goal was just to just walk 15 minutes a day. I built and am competitive with myself, so it's grown to 5Ks (mostly 2 mile runs a few times a week), circuit training, barbells, and kettlebells. Keep it interesting, fresh, and keep building. You'll get there!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Take a hot bath with epsom salts, as hot as you can stand it for as long as you can, and REMEMBER TO STRETCH. Maybe think about taking some potassium and magnesium supplements, drink buttloads of water as well.

When I work out really hard, if I don't get a good hot epsom salt bath in within a couple of hours, I'm sore for DAYS. If I have a nice soak in , I feel fantastic the next day.
  • rayleecanuck
    rayleecanuck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My experience is to power through, otherwise you'll lose motivation. If you are especially sore, you may want to just go for a brisk walk or light jog instead of doing weights and isometric exercises. The key is to keep moving, otherwise the lactic acid just sits in your muscles and you become more stiff on the second and sometimes even the third day after an especially difficult workout. If you continue moving, your recovery time will be reduced.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Take a hot bath with epsom salts, as hot as you can stand it for as long as you can, and REMEMBER TO STRETCH. Maybe think about taking some potassium and magnesium supplements, drink buttloads of water as well.

When I work out really hard, if I don't get a good hot epsom salt bath in within a couple of hours, I'm sore for DAYS. If I have a nice soak in , I feel fantastic the next day.

I do this!! and it really does help. I also take magnesium and potassium. I get horrible calf cramps at night and my doctor recommended the potassium and my chiropractor told me about magnesium for muscle pain years ago, it really does work. but of course check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure they are ok for you :)
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ramp up slowly over about 2 weeks. You will have moderate soreness that you can recover from between sessions and skip over the "really sore" part. After about 2 weeks you'll be able to go full bore without extreme discomfort.

This ^^^

And STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH ... gently stretch before and have a good long stretch after.
    Also give yourself rest days and try to mix up what exercies you do.
    My typical Monday through Sunday is : run; weights; yoga; weights; Zumba; run; off.
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    thanks y'all! I think the key will be variety and definitely soaking in some epsom salts, and giving myself a couple weeks to get back into good habits before I start pushing myself too hard. I just know I have to do this NOW. Not getting any younger or easier to take the weight off. Want to be healthy for my family and myself. :) I am also going to take before pics and measurements and use those to check in with myself every month.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I agree keep going..I actually find that even if I am sore from a previous work out...once I start getting warm in the next on, a lot of the pain goes away...Something like 30DS is not that hard to do 5 days a week, it is such a short but nicely intense work out, but you could also consider doing it 2 days then a rest, then 2 days and a rest...Stretching is a must (probably best to do more than what they show on most work out vids) I also agree on the hot bath...

Just remember each time you stop for more than a few days, it means you will have to go through al the pain again...Its better to keep going!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Get your priorities right. Be patient. First month accomplishment is only to loosen up and NOT workout. Use very light weights and short, easy walks for cardio. Ignore what everyone else is doing and ease into it. Ramp up slowly once you get a feel for it.

Drink lots of pure water, avoid energy drinks and all that other "Jungle Junk Juice"

Please avoid taking NSAIDS. Everyone will tell you it's ok but just dont. It can raise your blood pressure, camouflage injury & let you work through things you shouldnt and NSAIDS will raise your blood pressure.

Dont go ape feces and over work yourself. Throw some rest days in there.

Use flexible cold pack pads. Keep them ready in the freezer. (you can make your own- zip-lock sandwich bag, dawn dish washing soap, water)

Have fun