My Breath is a Little Off - What Gives?

Options
Hello MFP Peeps! I have an odd question/problem for anyone willing to listen:

Since I’ve started exercising more frequently and at a higher intensity these past 4 weeks I have noticed something different about the smell of my breath. Don’t laugh I’m serious, lol. My breath has a sweet, sort of fruity odor to it. It’s not an offensive type of smell; it’s just VERY different from the norm. I have no idea if anyone else has noticed this from me and if so they haven’t brought it to my attention. I have excellent dental hygiene and a good track record at the dentist so I know there isn’t anything wrong inside of my mouth. I find it suspicious this started happening right when I kicked up my workout routine from just walking 2 to 3 times a week to attending a kickboxing class on Mondays, couch to 5K, 2-day strength training and playing softball on Fridays. I turned to the “internets” for a diagnosis and predictably I zero-in on the worst case scenario in that this must be some sort of horrible malady like diabetic ketoacidosis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetic_ketoacidosis). I am NOT diabetic and have never had unusual blood sugar test results; nonetheless I have scheduled an appointment with my Doc on Monday to have a full physical with lab work.

In the mean time, has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Could this mean I am losing weight (yay)? The scale has barely moved but I am trying to not focus on that. I know I am losing inches because my clothes feel better. Besides the weird breath thing I am in good health.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Replies

• ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    the doctor's appt is a good idea.
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think when a person is really in fat-burning mode, that they can develop exactly the sort of breath that you describe. Do some googling about Atkins, ketosis, etc. No idea if you're attempting low carb or anything like it, but I think it stands to reason that if you're body's burning a lot of fat quickly that some level of ketosis (very generally, your body using fat as a primary fuel) must be occuring, regardless of whether you're specifically low carb or not.

Sounds like you're just getting it done, to me.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Look up Ketosis, I think that might be a good clue. If you have 57 lbs to lose, chances are you might be diabetic. or prediabetic. but let the doctor blood test tells you. please don't take my word for it.

During 1999, I quit smoking, and I gained 30 lbs after that. soon after, I was diagnose as a diabetic. it's not the end of the world. but just have to manage it. Good luck
  • RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Winchestervol may have got it right.

How many carbs have you been consuming per day, on average?
  • thebig_trg
    thebig_trg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to average between 150-180mg per day but for the past week I have been absolutely starving everyday and have been eating more calories in general, so now my average carb intake is closer to 250mg per day. Not good I know. I find it difficult and expensive to eat more protein, but I'm sure that's what I need to do in order to curb my hunger pangs.
  • thebig_trg
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I am looking forward to my doctor's appointment and if all is well I guess I just need to carry on and try to lower my carbs and up my protein.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that my water tastes sweeter during a workout as well, for whatever reason. May be similar
  • RiesigJay
    Options
    If you're eating over 150 grams of carbs, you're not burning ketones for energy. You say mg, but I find it hard to believe anyone tracking milligrams of carbs. But if you are, then you are quite likely in a ketogenic state.

In the end, I advise a doctor visit if you have the means.
  • thebig_trg
    Options
    Yeah I meant grams (g) --- sorry.
  • thebig_trg
    Options
    Update: All lab work came back normal except my vitamin B12 levels are low - this may explain my aforementioned symptoms. I'll be starting a daily B12 supplement today.
  • RiesigJay
    Options
    Glad to hear everything is fine!

Did they give possible explanations for the breath issue?
  • thebig_trg
    Options
    Thanks, I am too! My Doctor is still not sure about my breath issue, but she is confident we can rule out diabetes or any other major illness. She thinks it may be related to my low B12 levels and the fact that I have been very physically active as of late. She also said she didn't smell anything "off" about my breath, so that makes me feel a little less self conscious.
  • RiesigJay
    Options
    Interesting... off to run a search on what B12 is/does.