Eating an orange and banana exceed allowable sugar intake?

Options
58ttom
58ttom Posts: 9 Member
If I eat an orange and a banana it will exceed the allowable sugar intake for the day according to what myfitnesspal.com says should be my goal for daily sugar consumption. I thought fruit was good for you but is eating an orange and a banana in one day too much sugar? I'm new to all this so please help me to understand this.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Disregard MFP's sugar recommendations.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't fret about it to be honest. An apple and a banana are good for you. Yes, it's still sugar, but you get other benefits from fruit.

You don't really get other benefits from candy. So for me personally, if I go over by eating too much junk I might try and pull it in a bit, but going over from 2 pieces of fruit? nah I wouldn't worry.

Most people on MFP trying to lose weight didn't get overweight by eating a couple of pieces of fruit a day. Stick with your calorie goals and I am sure 2 pieces of fruit won't do you any harm.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    In my personal opinion, no. These are natural sugars and carbs. You want to avoid refined sugars. The lifestyle change I am on now includes 3-4 fruits per day. I think my smoothies alone may hit close to if not over my sugar for the day. I took the sugar tracking off and replaced it with sodium which is more of a concern, IMO. If you are not eating cakes, candies, and sodas, I don't think you need the sugar tracker (maybe if you were diabetic you might want to keep track, but checking your sugar would be just as well). The natural sugars are just not made equal to refined sugar.

For example, my Dad is a very bad diabetic, on pills and insulin. He is extremely non-compliant so his sugar jumps up to 300 regularly. When he eats 2 slices of bread, his sugar was spike over 200. When he eats 2 oranges (the small California cuties) his sugar will be 140 (which is amazing for him).

Jen
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    unless you have a health condition where you need to watch your sugar (pre-diabetic) then don't worry about it.

you don't need to track sugar.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Mine is an apple and Greek yogurt and I'm over. I don't really care since I do not have a sugar(diabetes) problem. If you are concerned, ask your doctor. Yes, fruit is good for you. If I didn't eat fruit I would have to take a laxative which has never been a good experience for me.:noway:
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Its the one on mine that is red every day, I have a glass of pure orange juice in the morning and that puts me at 20 straight off, that would leave 4 for the rest of the day which is not practical, so I disregard it.
  • knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    If I didn't eat fruit I would have to take a laxative which has never been a good experience for me.:noway:

You too? Took me years to figure that out. Uncomfortable years. :laugh:
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If your sugar is coming from "real" food like fruits, vegetables, milk, yogurt...then don't worry about it. If your eating candy or drinking soda on the other hand...
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    So glad I read this! I've been so worried about my sugar because I do like sweets but since I started mfp this week I've really done well not eating tons of junk but still finding my sugar over, due to milk, fruit or even bread. I do want to lower my sugar intake but now I won't stress as much with certain foods!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    unless you have a health condition where you need to watch your sugar (pre-diabetic) then don't worry about it.

you don't need to track sugar.
  • lamcc64
    lamcc64 Posts: 2
    Options
    Well that makes me feel better; just choked down my morning greek yogurt with fresh strawberries added (otherwise there would be no choking it down) and I've almost used up my sugar intake for the day.
  • 58ttom
    58ttom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the information. It may have been a stupid question but at least now I'm more knowledgeable.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you want you can replace sugar with something else (tracking wise) it was stressing me to see the stupid red number.

You can go to Settings up top and then to Diary Settings

This direct link should take you there: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

I really wish MFP would let us track more than 5.

Jen
  • andreajaeger89
    Options
    I was concerned about this as well seeing as I was starting a clean eating diet and you aren't supposed to have any added sugar. I talked to my trainer/nutritionist and she says that men should try to stay under 30g of sugar and women should try to stay under 24g of sugar. That being said you shouldn't count fruits and vegetables as sugar. I am not supposed to be drinking anything other than water, tea, and coffee so for me I do count the sugars in drinks like my silk milk and coconut milk creamer. If you want to monitor the sugar level then count all the sugar you are eating from your items other than fruit and veggies. The only time its important to monitor fruit sugar is if you are a diabetic or if you are a fitness model/weight lifter who is about to do a competition bc the sugar in fruit can bloat you
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I ignore the sugar tracking if I'm eating fruit. I only focus on the refined sugar, which I try to limit.