So who has been on a cruise? Advice?

Options

Replies

• Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Don't over pack! I have been on two cruises and have seriously overpacked both times. You literally will be wearing a bathing suit and shorts practically the whole time. I, of course, packed an outfit for every day and one for dinner at night. I will never do that again. Bathing suit and cover for daytime and maybe three outfits that are interchangable for the dinners. One pair of flip flips and one pair of walking shoes. That's all the clothes you need.

Pack tons of sunscreen, chapstick. Get travel size shower stuff because the showers aren't very spacious. Take time for yourself. When I took my daughter, I felt guilty about putting her in the children's room but everyone kept telling me it was my vacation too and I should have some me time on it. I will definitely take advantage of that more next time.

I agree with don't overpack, but the rest of this advice is going to greatly depend on where you are cruising. I was on a two week Med cruise last summer and never wore a bathing suit--too chilly to swim most days, and with 12 ports in 14 days, who had time? Even on Caribbean cruises, depending on your preferences you might not spend that much time lounging in the sun.

On my Med cruise I packed all mix and match for dinners--one skirt and two pair of slacks with a half dozen tops--some of which I could also wear during the day--were more than enough--and one pair of sandals that matched all dinner attire.

Our ship provided L'Occitane soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, hand cream, etc,, so I only brought enough for the first day or two. The products Disney provides are also very nice. Some of the lower end cruise lines (RCCl, Carnival, etc.) only provide shower gel and shampoo in dispensers attached to the shower wall, and with that I understand, they are low quality--in that case you might prefer to bring your own.
  • tigermom82
    tigermom82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bring plenty of bottled water. You can bring some with you when you go on excursions.

Also, you can bring soda. I don't remember exactly how much each person can bring but we had plenty of water and soda for our trip between my sister, daughter and me.
  • Annerk1
    Options
    disney is super expensive. I assume youre going for that line bc of your children?

drink, eat, sleep and repeat. Those are my four advices.

They aren't that expensive as long as your don't go over a major holiday. I've sailed on them a few times.
  • 58cayo
    58cayo Posts: 26
    Options
    I've done a few cruises domestically and internationally, and I agree with what has been said before, especially packing lite. Since you have children, be sure to bring a set of warm clothes (sweats, socks, tennis shoes, maybe gloves) and lightweight clothes (nylon jogging pants and jackets are great if it's raining and if it's cold and rainy they can be put on over warm clothes to keep dry). Get the drink package for the kids, it saves you a lot of hassle. Also, decide what you want to do excursions, massages, dinner times, before you get on the ship and schedule down time, there is lots to do on a cruise ship so you don't want to need a stay-cation when you get home.................Bon Voyage
  • Annerk1
    Options
    bring plenty of bottled water. You can bring some with you when you go on excursions.

Also, you can bring soda. I don't remember exactly how much each person can bring but we had plenty of water and soda for our trip between my sister, daughter and me.

First of all, soda is free on Disney. Second, there's no need to schlep a case of water. Bring refillable water bottles and refill on board. The ships water is made the same way as Dasani, it's very good.
  • gambit1975
    gambit1975 Posts: 3
    Options
    Alot of good advice. My wife and I are planning on going on our first cruise this winter.
  • cindyrabik
    cindyrabik Posts: 1
    Options
    I went on a Disnye cruise (The Fantasy) in Feb and got married, in the Carribean. We already have 3 teenage daughters and we all loved it. There is something to do all the time. There is an adult only area where you can get away from all the little kids. The only thing I missed was beach time as we did excursions when we were in port. The last day we were on Disney's private island, Castaway Cay and the weather was cool-which was a little disappointing. Other then that it was great and I would go again....next time I would like to do the Mediterrean:) Disney thinks of everything!
  • tigermom82
    tigermom82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I went on Carnival, so we had to bring our own.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Good thing about Disney is soda & parking is included in cruise ticket & also they have fresh water pools.. Every other line makes you pay for both & has salt water in their pools.

Not to mention the food is INCREDIBLE!!

Parking isn't included.

BUMMER guess they changed that since my husband went. It used to be free.
  • Annerk1
    Options
    Good thing about Disney is soda & parking is included in cruise ticket & also they have fresh water pools.. Every other line makes you pay for both & has salt water in their pools.

Not to mention the food is INCREDIBLE!!

Parking isn't included.

BUMMER guess they changed that since my husband went. It used to be free.

Parking has never been free at any Port that DCL has cruised from. That said, the parking costs at Port Canaveral have almost tripled in the past dozen or so years.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Don't go cheap. Save up and get yourself a balcony room. It's totally worth it. I learned the hard way the first time.
  • Annerk1
    Options
    Don't go cheap. Save up and get yourself a balcony room. It's totally worth it. I learned the hard way the first time.

Not as important on the luxury ships with port intensive itineraries.
  • todd6977
    todd6977 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    been on over 20 of them ask away anything you need
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Don't buy into the excursion packets they try to sell you on the ship, they will railroad you. On my honeymoon we just walked around town and found nice locals to take us snorkeling/swimming with manta rays for $20 per person, versus the $75 per person they were trying to charge on the ship. We did that at every port, and saved about $200 from our fun money fund. (Obviously don't follow them into any dark alleys, though. Be smart and stay safe.)

Oh, and stay away from Carnival lines. That should be a given, though. :wink:
  • Annerk1
    Options
    Don't buy into the excursion packets they try to sell you on the ship, they will railroad you. On my honeymoon we just walked around town and found nice locals to take us snorkeling/swimming with manta rays for $20 per person, versus the $75 per person they were trying to charge on the ship. We did that at every port, and saved about $200 from our fun money fund. (Obviously don't follow them into any dark alleys, though. Be smart and stay safe.)

That advice depends on the cruise and the port. Sometimes you'll find that a cruise line "Buys Out" popular things like dolphin swims and only those booked through the line can be accommodated. There are some places that aren't accessible by just walking or even taking a cab/bus/train where you don't have much of a choice but to take the ships excursion if you want to get there. Some ships offer special excursions that are put together just for them and not sold otherwise. Do your research.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

That advice depends on the cruise and the port. Sometimes you'll find that a cruise line "Buys Out" popular things like dolphin swims and only those booked through the line can be accommodated. There are some places that aren't accessible by just walking or even taking a cab/bus/train where you don't have much of a choice but to take the ships excursion if you want to get there. Some ships offer special excursions that are put together just for them and not sold otherwise. Do your research.

This is all true. My main point was, though, don't think you always HAVE to fork over tons of money for excursions, because in many cases, chances are there are cheaper ways to do it if you are smart about it. :flowerforyou:
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    Is it terrible that I hardly even know where my cruise is going and I haven't even thought about ~excursions~ and stuff like that? I'm going on the Drag Stars at Sea Cruise, and let's be honest, I just want to be stuck on a boat with my favourite drag queens for a week!

But I am lucky because there are themed parties and that will definitely help me figure out what to pack. But I'm still going to overpack. I always do, no matter where I'm going.

I have no idea if I'm prone to seasickness and that's what makes me the most nervous. Any of you that have cruised before, have you gotten seasick? How badly? How do you deal with it? I'm scared of it!!!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've been on quite a few cruises, but I can't be of any help with advice on the large boats. All of mine have been on these:
    2%20Star%20clipper%20portrait.jpg
    www.starclippers.com - Best cruise you will ever experience. (NOT recommended for children though as there are no activities for them.)

My only advise, if prone to seasickness, is to avoid Dramamine. Use Bonine instead because, for most people, it has less drowsiness effect. Also, start taking it the day BEFORE you board. Once seasickness starts, there are very few things that can stop it.
  • Annerk1
    Options
    Is it terrible that I hardly even know where my cruise is going and I haven't even thought about ~excursions~ and stuff like that? I'm going on the Drag Stars at Sea Cruise, and let's be honest, I just want to be stuck on a boat with my favourite drag queens for a week!

But I am lucky because there are themed parties and that will definitely help me figure out what to pack. But I'm still going to overpack. I always do, no matter where I'm going.

I have no idea if I'm prone to seasickness and that's what makes me the most nervous. Any of you that have cruised before, have you gotten seasick? How badly? How do you deal with it? I'm scared of it!!!

I've only gotten seasick once--the entire ship was seasick--we hit hurricane force winds. Pretty miserable and nothing worked.