Wasting Time at Work

Options
GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
How did people waste time at work before the internet.

When I first started working, you could smoke at your desk. LOL. So, smokers didn't get special breaks like they do now.

What did we do? I don't remember. It certianly was harder to screw around than it is now.

Replies

• tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    People did like I still do half the time and wander around talking to other people to waste their time.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Ole Water Cooler conversations!! :)

I'm really not sure. Wondering the same thing about cell phones. I left to the store the other day forgot my cell at home and had a mini panick attack. LOL
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i could go for a smoke about now,,,
    and a nice glass of whiskey,
  • 58cayo
    58cayo Posts: 26
    Options
    There actually were water coolers where people "hung-out"
  • Healthy_fresh_start
    Healthy_fresh_start Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    when working in offices I would always get told off for doodling on invoices etc. lead to now being self employed doing biro drawings! lol
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I think they went to meetings or actually talked to other people they could see and touch.
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Being a good receptionist: 10% focusing on work, 90% not being distracted by the internet

Thank goodness I'm overly efficient. I have my work done through the whole month of May, and I'm on the internet or my phone probably a good 90% of the time I'm at work...and my boss just recently told me I'm seriously the best receptionist he's ever had, and with the "most uplifting, positive attitude" :)
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    My dad had all sorts of wind up toys and other neat things to play with. I used to love going to his office. :)
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Despite having free access to the Internet and no one ever controlling what we do on there, I actually spend a shocking amount of time reading (you know...books!) at work.

Yeah, I know... :embarassed:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPazeef06yNzXvQTtnpErdMeDyalT98G8-7WhSXXrpI9Mooeb8ip9UMhZG1g
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wandering from cube to cube asking if anyone saw the game... when I didn't even see it...
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I had to break up with all my MFP friends specifically because I was wasting so much time at work! All those fun freak friends of mine were so.damn.distracting!

:(