small success and a question (pictures in post)

I didn't really expect to see these kind of results since today was only the 5th time I did heavy lifting in the last 10 days. Super impressed! I did decide to step on the scale today, though, and it was CRUSHING to see that I've gained two pounds! Before lifting I had been doing about 3 weeks of just interval running and hadn't stepped on the scale since before that. So, basically 5 weeks of working out and the scale hasn't move. I just don't understand the logic? If I'm burning fat, why isn't my number reflecting it? Eating clean, at 1500-1600 cals a day. Help!

Before heavy lifting, 10 days ago, and today. The bottom picture should be reversed.
5osbkm.jpg
8vysg0.jpg
6howuh.jpg

Replies

• MsMusicGA
    MsMusicGA Posts: 5
    Since muscle is more dense, it adds to your weight. If you want real results, can you reduce your caloric intake a bit along with no more than a 1/2 teaspoon of low sodium salt per day should do the trick.
  • Since muscle is more dense, it adds to your weight. If you want real results, can you reduce your caloric intake a bit along with no more than a 1/2 teaspoon of low sodium salt per day should do the trick.

But my main goal right now is losing inches/weight. I have about 25 lbs to get to my pre baby weight, then wouldn't mind dropping another ten. Will consider dropping caloric intake, but from all I've read, I should be right around a target 1500.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    You didn't gain two pounds of muscle lifting 5 times while eating at a deficit. You just didn't.

More likely, your muscles are holding water while they heal.

Keep at it, and measure your progress over a longer time frame. Use http://trendweight.com and pay attention to the trend, rather than the daily weight.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    EDIT: I guess tinypic.com doesn't work to post pics on this forum? any recs as to what to use?
    [/quote]

I use tinypic.com for my images. Are you changing the capital IMG's to lowercase before posting?

Also, make sure you are taking measurments too, i'm sure you're hard work will show there even if it doesn't on the scale!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    You didn't gain two pounds of muscle lifting 5 times while eating at a deficit. You just didn't.

Keep at it, and measure your progress over a longer time frame. Use http://trendweight.com and pay attention to the trend, rather than the daily weight.

Def this :) Don't think about the scale as much think about how healthy and great you will look
  • You didn't gain two pounds of muscle lifting 5 times while eating at a deficit. You just didn't.

Def this :) Don't think about the scale as much think about how healthy and great you will look

Oh definitely. I did not attribute it to muscle gain, I don't know what to attribute it to!! except that today is that day of the month. sorry, men.
  • olliebourque
    olliebourque Posts: 10 Member
    You say you are eating 1500 - 1600 calories a day and doing heavy lifting? How many calories are you burning while lifting? Let's say you burn 500 calories heavy lifting. Subtract that from the 1500 and you have a net of 1000 calories. You have to replace the calories burned to keep your net intake at 1500. Perhaps you know this already, but if not, that is likely the biggest reason that you are on a plateau. I am on 1600 calorie intake and I walk off calories. I eat extra to cover those calories and I'm losing. Usually a plateau occurs because we are not getting enough calories and our metabolisms slow down. I've seen it happen, time and again. Anyway, I hope this helps.
  • EDIT: I guess tinypic.com doesn't work to post pics on this forum? any recs as to what to use?

I use tinypic.com for my images. Are you changing the capital IMG's to lowercase before posting?

Also, make sure you are taking measurments too, i'm sure you're hard work will show there even if it doesn't on the scale!
    [/quote]

thank you! this worked!
  • You say you are eating 1500 - 1600 calories a day and doing heavy lifting? How many calories are you burning while lifting? Let's say you burn 500 calories heavy lifting. Subtract that from the 1500 and you have a net of 1000 calories. You have to replace the calories burned to keep your net intake at 1500. Perhaps you know this already, but if not, that is likely the biggest reason that you are on a plateau. I am on 1600 calorie intake and I walk off calories. I eat extra to cover those calories and I'm losing. Usually a plateau occurs because we are not getting enough calories and our metabolisms slow down. I've seen it happen, time and again. Anyway, I hope this helps.

well, I'm eating 1500 cals because my estimated TDEE is at 2200, which puts me at a healthy weight loss of 1.3lbs a week. do you suggest I go up?
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member

Oh definitely. I did not attribute it to muscle gain, I don't know what to attribute it to!! except that today is that day of the month. sorry, men.

^ Bam. I gain 3-5 pounds at that time.

• Oh definitely. I did not attribute it to muscle gain, I don't know what to attribute it to!! except that today is that day of the month. sorry, men.

^ Bam. I gain 3-5 pounds at that time.

ok, this makes me feel better, thanks! had no idea that it could effect the scale so much. and this my first time since having baby number two.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!