Diabetic recipies

Options
MissCarter79
MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
Hi! My husband was recently diagnosed as a diabetic. He isn't overweight, but I am so I thought this would be a good time to do a makeover on our family diet. I was wondering if anyone has diabetic friendly recipes to share? Thanks!

Replies

• stephanieogle35
    Options
    Generally, any recipe can be adapted for a person with diabetes. Has he seen a dietitian? That will help him know how many carbs he should have per meal/snack. You can use some of the artificial sweeteners in place of sugar in most recipes, too. One thing that can be helpful is to avoid having a snack or meal that is all carbs, and to instead try to balance carbs with protein and fat so the carbs are absorbed more slowly and won't spike his blood sugar as drastically. Another tip I've found to be helpful is to get some exercise after a meal (especially if the meal has a lot of carbs). Even a 1 or 2 mile walk can help lower my blood sugar by 40 or 50 pts. Good luck to all of you - I know what a huge adjustment this can be, but it is doable!
  • MissCarter79
    Options
    Thanks so much! Yes we have seen a dietitian and she gave us a guideline of how many carbs to eat for each meal and for snacks. Thanks for the tip about walking after a large carb meal. It will be a big adjustment but it's totally doable!
  • stephanieogle35
    Options
    I should mention that for some people, if their blood sugar is already high, exercise can make it go higher. I have type one diabetes and if my blood sugar is over 250 before I exercise, it sometimes goes even higher. Most of the time, though, my blood sugar goes down with exercise, not up. It just might be worth checking his blood sugar before and after to see how his body responds. Oh, one thing I can recommend is to find a good recipe for mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. I love mashed potatoes but cauliflower can be a good substitute.
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi MissCarter! I hope that your family doing well. I don't know about a diabetic diet specifically, but I just got put on the Mediterranean diet by my doctor for health concerns as well (I'm overweight and have MS) and think it might be worth looking into for diabetes. It cuts out most processed foods and requires that lunch/dinner are at least 50% vegetable-based which helps to cut sugar. I've only been on it this week, but find it relatively easy to stick with when going out or cooking at home. The Mediterranean diet is geared towards people with heart concerns, not immune response concerns (like diabetes and MS), but it seems to improve a lot of health issues overall. I still monitor what I eat closely, and still log calories, but thus far I'm adjusting well to it.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm a type I diabetic, too. Basically, nowadays, there isn't an actual diabetic diet anymore because insulin therapy has got so much better over the years. It is, however, a good thing to try and not go wild with the carbs. Because more carbs mean more insulin and more insulin can make it harder to lose or maintain your weight.

Depending on your husband's insulin therapy, it can be necessary that he sticks to a certain average of carbs consumed per meal. My mother does this were she has to inject a certain amount of insulin units at specific times a day and, of course, also get the carbs according to that. Whereas I chose a therapy where I need to get insulin for every meal or snack depending on the amount of carbs consumed.

Also, there are different "kinds" of carbs, some that work slow and some that are pretty quick to get your blood sugar up. For low BS times when he needs to raise it up pretty quickly, you should have some quick-working carbs around, i.e. dextrose drops, sugar cubes or most kinds of candy. But for actual meals or snacks, it's better to get some slow-working ones that will keep him going over the course of a couple hours, i.e. whole-grain products.
  • MissCarter79
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! My husband does take an insulin shot once a day. He's allowed 60 carbs for breakfast, 75 for lunch, 75 for dinner, and 30 for snacks. I'm just trying to mainly find snack recipes or swapped recipes. Like cakes that are low in sugar and carbs. Thanks for all the tips!
  • ficklesoul
    ficklesoul Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/ she has excellent low carb diet that might be suitable for your husband.
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipereview/ has some nice recipes too. For snacks or sweet tooth craving I like lauren from http://healthyindulgences.net/ They may not all be suitable for diabetic since some of her recipe calls for honey but you can always just play around with it :)
  • MissCarter79
    Options
    Thanks I will try all of those!