How do i get protein up within calories? :)

Options

Replies

• zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Replace some or all of your eggs with egg whites. This will give you more protein for the calories.

You could try Greek yogurt

Here is a recipe I use for a faux pancake breakfast

Daily Chef - 100% Liquid Egg Whites, 1.5 cups
    Quaker Oats - Original - Oatmeal, 1.5 cup dry
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 8 tsp
    Jif - Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, 2 Tbsp
    Isagenix - Isalean Shake - Creamy Dutch Chocolate , 2 Scoops
    Strawberries - Raw, 2 cup, halves

Blend ingredients and then cook like normal pancakes

Makes ~12 pancakes. Each pancake is 102 calories 13 carbs 3 fiber 7 protein 3 fat
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Peas peas peas! If you're like most people, you don't eat enough fiber. In only 6 oz of peas, you get 19 grams of protein and 14 grams of fiber! You really can't go wrong.

I bet that's why they always said to eat our peas!

Also, try PB2.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    salmon is great :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Peas peas peas! If you're like most people, you don't eat enough fiber. In only 6 oz of peas, you get 19 grams of protein and 14 grams of fiber! You really can't go wrong.

Is this freakin legit? I need to go read a package of peas.
    If this is the case, I'm about to stock up!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    also shrimp is low cals high protein :)
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Bacon cheeseburgers do it for me. So does a nice juicy ribeye. :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Could you change your diary settings to public? Then we can see what you're currently eating, and make some better suggestions to improve.
  • lnewcombe91
    Options
    Myprotein.com has some good deals on protein powders. I use them. A half measure in the morning with breakfast and a full one post workout. To keep calories down i usually mix it with water or almond milk. I'm always over on Protein.

Protein powders only exaggerate what youve done through exercise, it isnt a substitute. I cant believe the muscle gains i've made since ive started using it though. People notice and that keeps me motivated.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    (edit)
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    You might need to start drinking a protein shake every day

Find one without added sugar and always mix with water, not milk or anything else with calories. It is really hard in my opinion to get 1g per lb lbm without supplementing if you're cutting calories.

There are some good "real food" suggestions here in this thread as well :)
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Yes, forgot to say, however, this was for dried peas. so it doubles in weight once you cook it with water. Hope you still enjoy some peas :-)
  • susanbelle
    susanbelle Posts: 1
    Options
    Try using quinoa instead of rice/pasta/potatoes, add in more protein shakes and if you come up short during the day add some protein powder to Greek yogurt (watch sugar with the yogurts some of them are loaded). My daily goal is 100 and usually have no problem reaching it - plus I don't eat red meat.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Have the same problem, so I actually tried to figure out how I could get the MOST protein for the least amount of calories. It's not a comprehensive list, but might give you some ideas. There'd also be a bit of variation depending on brands. Number is how many calories for 1 gram of protein...

4.5 tuna
    4.9 shrimp
    5 chicken
    6 turkey
    6.7 spinach
    6.8 lean beef
    6.9 non fat cottage cheese
    7.4 sardines in water
    7/5 asparagus
    8.3 Sargento light string cheese stick
    9.2 Fage Flavored Greek Yogurt
    9.3 Salmon
    10 cauliflower
    10.3 turnip greens
    12 Sargento reduced fat colby jack or cheddar cheese stick
    12.5 mustard greens
    14.5 plain greek yogurt (instead of sour cream or mayo?)
    14.8 egg
    14.9 broccoli
    15 collards/brussel sprouts
    15.45 kale
    19.3 beans
    20 cabbage/zuchini
    25 peanut butter
    37.5 skim milk
    38 whole grain brown rice
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My daily regiment includes:
    2 eggs at breakfast
    greek yogurt for my morning snack
    usually a protein bar for afternoon snack (or half of one of the big MetRX ones)
    lean meats at lunch and dinner
    protein powder blended with frozen fruit for an evening snack.

This all gets me up to 140-160 grams or protein per day, within my 2000 calories per day maintenance diet.
  • heyitsedgar
    Options
    Tuna is probably the least expensive, low carb, high protein meat that you could get. Investing in protein powder would befit you also.

nuts are generally higher in fat than protein, but they are mono, and polyunsaturated fats so you NEED those. Greek yogurt could also be the way to go, for example Fage is pretty high in protein but also it has a pretty decent amount of carbs as well. If you're cutting youd want more protein than anything else. Id say def try tuna, or some protein powder.

I personally use Dymatize's Elite Whey Isolate. Fast absorption so good for before/after workouts and in the mornings. There are about 24g of Protein per scoop, so you could take one in the morning with your breakfast, and then one post workout and youd be set and probably a little over your goal. Again there are other great protein supplements that can help you get to your goal, its just a matter of how much you're willing to spend.

If you do decide to get some sort of supplement, go to bodybuilding.com since theyd generally be the least expensive even after shipping. GNC, and other local supplement stores are really pricey.

Other protein brands ive tried and also enjoyed:
    Cytosport complete whey: pretty reasonable price (strawberry and banana flavor is really good in the am with some fresh strawberries, raspberries/grapes and some water in a blender)
    Myofusion: good sources but smells like egg
    GNC wheybolic extreme 60(i think): its good but really expensive for a 3lb
    Dymatize Iso 100: amazing but can be pricey
    BSN Syntha-6: good and reasonable price
    ON platinum hydrolized whey: really expensive but really good product. Better off getting a regular whey isolate
    ON Gold Whey standard: great and pretty good price
    Top Secret Nutrition Energizing whey: tasted like Donkey Kongs sweaty nut sack and made my stomach feel like crap.
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    I spice up my favorite recipes with extra protein. For example, I make turkey sloppy joes using ground turkey, Heinz natural sloppy joe mix, and add in mashed up canned organic black bean (you can't even taste them!) and a couple scoops of protein powder (I use herbalife personal protein powder, it doesn't add anything to the flavor of the recipe).

I also use the protein powder and mashed black beans in turkey chilli. I have not tried the protein powder in pancakes yet and I have heard that you can actually use mashed up black beans in a chocolate cake or brownie recipe.
  • Dreams2bFit
    Dreams2bFit Posts: 18
    Options
    Great suggestions! Bump :)
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to heavily rely on protein powder but recently I've gotten away from it. I'd rather eat real food!

Sample of my day:

Breakfast: 2-3 scrambled eggs with veggies (like peppers, onions and spinach) OR 1 egg and 1-2 grilled chicken sausage from the local butcher, with 1/2 baked yam topped with coconut oil or almond butter.

(Eat the whole egg!! Not just the whites.)

Lunch: Mixed salad topped with tuna or grilled chicken or leftover steak or hard boiled eggs, with olive oil & lemon dressing...maybe with avocado or a sprinkle of almonds/walnuts/pecans. Mixed berries with coconut milk.

Pre-gym: banana and almond butter, or another hard boiled egg, or leftover grilled sausage/chicken/whatever meaty goodness I have in the fridge.

Post-gym: complex carby vegetable (usually baked yam because I make batches of them) with whatever animal protein I didn't eat before the gym.

Dinner: Lean protein with lots of vegetables and some healthy fats. Usually a piece of fruit for dessert.

I'll also add some whole grain bread, oatmeal and dairy options in there too.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options

Peas give me the drizzlies. No can do.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Have the same problem, so I actually tried to figure out how I could get the MOST protein for the least amount of calories. It's not a comprehensive list, but might give you some ideas. There'd also be a bit of variation depending on brands. Number is how many calories for 1 gram of protein...

4.5 tuna
    4.9 shrimp
    5 chicken
    6 turkey
    6.7 spinach
    6.8 lean beef
    6.9 non fat cottage cheese
    7.4 sardines in water
    7/5 asparagus
    8.3 Sargento light string cheese stick
    9.2 Fage Flavored Greek Yogurt
    9.3 Salmon
    10 cauliflower
    10.3 turnip greens
    12 Sargento reduced fat colby jack or cheddar cheese stick
    12.5 mustard greens
    14.5 plain greek yogurt (instead of sour cream or mayo?)
    14.8 egg
    14.9 broccoli
    15 collards/brussel sprouts
    15.45 kale
    19.3 beans
    20 cabbage/zuchini
    25 peanut butter
    37.5 skim milk
    38 whole grain brown rice

I love that you and the pea guy both listed good vegetable sources. I need to up my veggie intake AND my protein. I eat meat and eggs but not enough to meet my quota.