Green Tea & Water

Options
2 weeks ago I decided to start eating healthier. For the last 2 weeks I've cut out fizzy drinks and cups of tea, all I drink now is water (usually 2 litres a day) and green tea no sugar no milk just twinings tea bags. I find the green tea really nice and was surprised that I drink 3 cups a day. The only thing is, I was wondering of others drink like this and how they feel, as I don't feel any healthier regarding my drink intake. I excercise nearly every day and I am eating a lot healthier than before. I know it's only been 2 weeks and you don't see the difference right away but just wondering how others are getting on with green tea and water :)

Replies

• foxykittenrachel26
    Options
    I drink about 3 cups of green tea a day as well.
    Def addicted to it! I don't see a diff either! but it sure is yummy!
    Coffee < Green Tea: )
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    theres no calerie s in any of it
  • laurajade111
    Options
    if i have lukewarm green tea before i eat it defiantly make me fell fuller!
  • CHEENAH7577
    Options
    i asked this question earlier, i do drink alot of green tea at work but w/2 sugars. guess i should try not doing the sugar.. does that count as water intake, like a reg. 8 glass of water. i drink more of that than water? Tx.
  • KnifeThrower89
    Options
    I would assume the tea would be helpful. It may not carry calories but it does have antioxidants which aid in weight-loss.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Green tea doesn't actively make you lose weight as such, but has ingredients that help flush out your system of toxins - it's a detox's best friend, but is very good to drink a cup a day as an alternative to tea/coffee with milk/sugar.

Yes, tea consumption does count towards liquid intake, although I'd say if you are drinking it with sugar may counteract it's properties!
  • olliebourque
    olliebourque Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Green Tea is reputed to speed up your body's metabolism and helps you to burn a few more calories. I have one a day, without sugar. I have 2 coffees a day. I have my wake up coffee, eat breakfast then I walk to the coffee shop (about a mile) and back to have my second coffee. (One cream only) I factor it into my daily calories and I don't feel guilty.
  • marydhastings
    marydhastings Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Green tea is a super drink! and it's great that you've joined that bandwagon!
    3 cups is awesome, and you can have more if you'd like. Be careful if you explore other teas, for they have different caffeine levels.
    I personally follow the belief that caffeine is good for your metabolism, but make sure that if you drink caffeinated teas, you don't have more than 5-6 cups a day, and also cut out the caffeine around 5 o' clock, for bedtime purposes.
    Thankfully the heavens gave us decaffeinated teas including green tea so if you like to have something warm to drink before bed, that would be your answer (:
  • bevlaw54
    bevlaw54 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I have never posted before and really need some motivation to exercise. So to tired when I get home from work, just want to sit and relax. Any beginner suggestions?
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to green tea! I go to starbucks everyday. Hasn't really helped with my weight loss, but I don't seem to get sick as much as my co-teachers.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Tea and water won't really make you lose weight... they help you stay hydrated. Calories in vs out is what will make you lose weight and considering you only have 20 ish lbs to lose, you should only be aiming to lose 1 lb per week and additionally, if you exercise, you need to eat more calories. A body requires fuel. Large calorie deficits can actually prevent weight loss due to additional water retention to protect your system.
  • LindseyLich
    Options
    thanks guy, all great comments. i wasn't sure about the background to green tea so thanks for the information.
    yeah i'm really enjoying green tea and drinking it so going to continue to do so as i actually like it :)
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I drink around 4 cups of green tea w/o milk sugar daily...I know it boosts metabolism....but recently I have started to feel that it boosts mood as well :) when I am in a bad mood a cup of green tea really calms me and I feel reguvenated....:) it works on cravings too...I add few drops of fresh lemon juice and it tastes great.....