resistance bands or bowflex.

Options
Hi All,

Looking for any users that can give me their thumbs up or thumbs down on resistance bands or bowflex machines. I have some resistance bands and was looking at buying a bowflex machine. Any users who can tell me about the bowflex.

Thanks,

Mark

Replies

• ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    what is it you want to know about a bowflex? My parents lucked out and found one dirt cheap (like cheaper than the off brand bowflex) on craigslist barely used. So they put it in the garage and use it daily. If you tell me what info you are after I can pass the questions on to them and they can answer them!
  • malee1981
    malee1981 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm really interested in whether you can get results from the Bowflex and also the ease of use. Also, things like does the machine hold up to years of use and such as that. I'm looking for something that me and my entire family can use. Thank you for posting a reply.
  • alexandra0713
    alexandra0713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say the bowflex is great! I really like doing rowing, biceps, and triceps on it. It is also safe, you don't have to have a spotter. The problem that my husband has run into is maxing out on the resistance, but only on the bench press and rowing exercise.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    you can get some results. Pales in comparison to compound exercises with free weights.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    A little bit off-topic, but you might want to look at a Total Gym if you're considering paying for a new Bowflex. Personally, I think it provides a better variety of exercises and makes it easier to mix some cardio into your workouts.

I think the base model's "always on sale" price is $100-200 above the base model Bowflex:

http://www.efisportsmedicine.com/home/product-line/gyms/infomercial-total-gym-xl.htm

I like exercise bands for traveling mostly.
  • malee1981
    malee1981 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You can get results, it's easy enough to use that I can use it :-P. But there may be a point where you max it out depending on what your goal outcome is. My parents had a knock off brand for years and it lasted just fine so I'm sure they're bowflex will last just as long if not longer. I would suggest trying play it again sports because you can try them out before buying and since they're used they're cheaper. But try craigslist too!!!
  • smithalex252
    Options
    Yeah jasonheyd is right, Total Gym has offers very effective Equipment on low price, I bought one few months back at direct bargains online. My friend rafie has Bowflex Equipment but that didn't impressed me and cardio mixing is very hard. I definitely prefer you to go for Total Gym and see if it on sale online.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells all the way!!!! It's the best investment I've made!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    We have a bow flex Xtreme, here is my opinion:

It takes up a LOT of room, you need a lot of room for the rods to come down.

It is NOT the same as lifting.

I got a better workout with free weights.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells all the way!!!! It's the best investment I've made!

Maybe so, but it's not the best investment you COULD HAVE made. You'd be better off with an oly bar, some plates, a power rack and a bench which can all be found on Craigslist for practically free.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a power cage or squat rack, an Oly bar, some plates and some dumbbells. They will serve you better and may well be cheaper depending on where you get them from.
  • pasimmons16
    pasimmons16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband has had his bowflex for over 10 years and uses it every day. He absolutely loves it!
  • bihun2125
    bihun2125 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have bowflex ultimate, recumbent bike and treadmill. Hate the treadmill, but the bowflex and the bike have been great. Yes it takes up space, but it's smaller than some other universals.
    It was a bit cumbersome at first, until I got a routine figured out, and then it just became, well, routine. I'm sure it will be the same in a few weeks when I switch up my current routine for something different. Because it's an older bowflex, it came with a VHS tape... so had to do some research to figure out how to set it all but it was worth it. I feel safer with it than free weights (I'm kind of a klutz and usually workout alone). But that's just my 2 cents worth.